English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 23 July 2015, 06:53   #1
Rednoc Nivert

'Rogue' Cheating / Debugger / Trainer

I got 'Rogue', and I've seen screenshots in the past where there's a developer menu that you have that can spawn items / enemies / etc. Would anyone know how to go about finding that / creating that? I'm not that savvy with the programming stuffs, but I'm figuring it's already in there somewhere...
Old 23 July 2015, 15:41   #2
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

This one can manipulate savegames.
http://aminet.net/package/game/edit/MCE
Old 24 July 2015, 00:34   #3
Rednoc Nivert

1) Is there a tutorial somewhere for this thing? I'm not seeing a program to run or anything, just a bunch of files windows says 'I dunno what these are'
2) How does one load a save file? My ROM of Rogue on Amiga Forever doesn't like that, it tells me 'unable to load, error 121'

Last edited by Rednoc Nivert; 24 July 2015 at 01:49.
Old 24 July 2015, 01:17   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Did you try the .rp9 I uploaded in your other thread?
Old 24 July 2015, 01:58   #5
Rednoc Nivert

Just got it.

Anyways, how do I go about using this MCE thing?

Last edited by Rednoc Nivert; 24 July 2015 at 03:53.
Old 24 July 2015, 04:31   #6
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

You will need OS3.9+BB2 installed...

MCE includes a user manual (MCE.guide) but usage is basically:

1. Run MCE.
2. Choose "Rogue" from the Tools menu.
3. Use the ASL requester to load your saved game.
4. Edit your saved game as desired.
5. Choose "Save" from the Project menu.

As for loading a saved game from within Rogue, IIRC Rogue's menu bar has an option for that.
Old 24 July 2015, 04:40   #7
Rednoc Nivert

Ok, so, I have all the MCE stuff (the .guide files and stuff), but I'm incompetent and need someone to point me to where to get this 'OS3.9+BB2'
According to my reads, it's an Amiga OS, yes? how do I run that? Can Amiga forever support such things?

Last edited by Rednoc Nivert; 24 July 2015 at 04:47.
Old 24 July 2015, 05:04   #8
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Amiga Forever includes a cut-down version of OS3.9, it might be enough to run MCE. If not, I can perhaps send you whatever file is missing.

MCE lets you edit the following things for Rogue saved games: strength, hit points, gold, location, deepest level reached, number of moves, character and fruit names. I had not heard about a developer menu until today; I will do some research and hopefully can add that to the next version.

I've had a look at the source code for the Epyx MS-DOS version (1.48): it seems that wizard mode support was omitted from that, so the same might apply to the Amiga version. Also the Amiga binary doesn't seem have any developer/wizard menu contained therein :-( There is an is_wizard flag but I suspect it is not used.

Is https://tcrf.net/Rogue_%28Mac_OS_Classic%29 where you saw the screenshot of the wizard menu? It is the only one I can find...

Last edited by Minuous; 24 July 2015 at 06:14.
Old 24 July 2015, 06:42   #9
Rednoc Nivert

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Amiga Forever includes a cut-down version of OS3.9, it might be enough to run MCE. If not, I can perhaps send you whatever file is missing.
How do I tell it to... use? Launch? Start? Do a thing with 3.9 OS. Is it the stuff under the 'systems' tab? And when launched, what do I do with the downloaded files? Access them from inside the Emulator? I'm inept with this step here, so someone's going to have to royall dumb it down for me, since I'm unfamiliar with Amiga Forever...

Quote:
MCE lets you edit the following things for Rogue saved games: strength, hit points, gold, location, deepest level reached, number of moves, character and fruit names. I had not heard about a developer menu until today; I will do some research and hopefully can add that to the next version.
So it can't do inventory stuffs? That's a bummer, I guess. Wait, 'you can add that'...? Are you one of the powers that be that cracked the game?

Quote:
I've had a look at the source code for the Epyx MS-DOS version (1.48): it seems that wizard mode support was omitted from that, so the same might apply to the Amiga version. Also the Amiga binary doesn't seem have any developer/wizard menu contained therein :-( There is an is_wizard flag but I suspect it is not used.
...where would one find the source code for the version I'm using? Or any of them, for that matter?

Quote:
Is https://tcrf.net/Rogue_%28Mac_OS_Classic%29 where you saw the screenshot of the wizard menu? It is the only one I can find...
...yeah! That thing! I couldn't find it again when I looked. But yeah, that's the thing!

A BIT ABOUT MY END GOAL: I'm 21, this game was before my time. Or bordered on it. My parents played in when I was little, on the actual Amiga. I was enthralled by it, and wanted to document all the monsters. Now that I understand things like screenshots, I'm trying to get a screenshot of each of the things (but the original rogue disk has long since stopped working). So my goal was find a polymorph wand and go to town on some people. And a ring of 'see invisible' (stupid phantoms). That's my goal here, is to break into the game enough to be in total control of things. Not that anybody really cares, but some are probably going 'why the heck is this guy so obsessed with this game?'
Old 24 July 2015, 09:28   #10
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

>How do I tell it to... use? Launch? Start? Do a thing with 3.9 OS. Is it the stuff under the 'systems' tab? And when launched, what do I do with the downloaded files? Access them from inside the Emulator? I'm inept with this step here, so someone's going to have to royall dumb it down for me, since I'm unfamiliar with Amiga Forever...

I'm not familiar with recent versions of Amiga Forever, sorry...but somewhere there should be a configuration that will boot up "OS3.x" which is their name for their cut-down version of OS3.9. Once that is loaded you will end up at a desktop-like screen with icons etc., it should be just a matter of doubleclicking the MCE folder icon to open it and then doubleclicking the MCE program icon.

>Wait, 'you can add that'...? Are you one of the powers that be that cracked the game?

I'm the programmer of MCE, I also partially reverse engineered the Rogue file format (http://amigan.1emu.net/releases/ami-form.txt).

>..where would one find the source code for the version I'm using? Or any of them, for that matter?

I haven't been able to find source code for the Epyx Amiga version of Rogue.
Various other versions have source code. Have a look at the Rogue links on http://amigan.1emu.net/links/ Also found some more here: http://web.archive.org/web/200810071...12/source.html
Old 24 July 2015, 19:33   #11
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Problem with AF is that it's not a standard OS3.9 install also to Install BB1 you need the OS3.9 CD.

To copy files to the AF Workbench3.X setup, copy the MCE.lha file to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\Shared\dir\Work (which is a folder added as a HD partition).
Old 24 July 2015, 21:09   #12
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I have just tried this out in AF and I can confirm that it does indeed work. I successfully altered the save from an ADF and wrote it back again.