English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 December 2016, 04:27   #1
IvanEBC

Setting up 1.3 Workbench not working

Hi Guys.

I setup Workbench CF cards to use on Real Amigas via what i think is the expected norm. WinUAE, use a KS 3 + WB 3 to get the card up to the part where it is formatted - then reduce winuae to the config of the host machine to house the CF card and install workbench.

I did this few days ago for my A500 with 2.04 kS and got WB 2 on there no hassles.

I have a 1.3 Amiga that the A590 originally come with and while winuae seems to boot, the moment the real A500 turns on, the scsi light flashes off and on constantly and it won't boot. Even tried it on my A500 with KS 2 and even holding down both mouse buttons doesn't show the CF card.... i wonder if PFS is really 1.3 copmpatible or if some other trick is needed to get 1.3 to work thats different from the usual 2 or 3 setups?

NOTES:
This is being used in an SD2SCSI in my A590, Winuae is configured to duplicate that and not caused any issue with previous setups.

I use PFS_aio-handler for ALL cards, i heard PFS is 1.3 compatible.

I'm only using a 64mb card as i don't need alot of room and helps make sure the size of the card doesn't give me grief with old hardware.

Thanks.
Old 03 December 2016, 15:46   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Personally I had problems getting WB1.3 booting using PFS3 so I used FFS.

Do all the other PFS3 partitions boot O.K from the A590?
Old 03 December 2016, 16:00   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Of course it works with 1.3. I use it all the time.

Sounds more like A590 <> SD2SCSI compatibility issue (99% guaranteed if exact same UAE config works, exact same KS, exact same A590 ROM and so on).

A590 is probably trying to detect the drive (SCSI led flicker) but it gets back something unexpected (or nothing). Which happens before RDB or filesystems are loaded.
Old 03 December 2016, 16:32   #4
IvanEBC

I might report this to them as i know the guy is actively working on new firmware, if i report it, i might get lucky

Still, might be worth trying FFS, cause yes, PFS is being used on the same unit with the WB2 setup.
Old 03 December 2016, 16:52   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Erase the beginning of SD (or at least remove all partitions/"initialize" it using hdtoolbox), then connect it to A590 and check what happens. If it still hangs: 100% confirmed having nothing to do with filesystem or partitions.
Old 04 December 2016, 03:46   #6
IvanEBC

Booted up the HD 1.3 in WINUAE direct off the card (re-verified i'm using A590 v6 bootroms and the sd card is using that as well).

Boots fine, inserted A590 setup ADF, run HDtoolbox - removed Partition - saved changes, rebooted (err removed A590 disk) rebooted - in winuae system boots direct to a "no disk present in unit 0". No amount of cancel or retry does anything.

Put SD card into real A590, i get the same, Amiga stays on balck screen and the SCSI light almost instantly just flashes.

Turn off, changed to the 2.0 WB i made on a 4gb SD, turn on and she boots, its only a 1.3KS so it doesn't boot too far before getting errors, but that's cause its WB2 on KS1.3.

So yeah, the sd2scsi doesn't like 1.3.

I have emailed this thread to him.....
Old 04 December 2016, 04:53   #7
Matt_H

It might be worth upgrading your A590 to v7 ROMs - one less variable to worry about.
Old 04 December 2016, 06:33   #8
IvanEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
It might be worth upgrading your A590 to v7 ROMs - one less variable to worry about.
I ordered them a few hours ago actually. Be a few weeks before they arrive but this issue is NOT urgent.
Old 07 December 2016, 17:39   #9
IvanEBC

Some Info for those who may be interested.
I did get this to work if i used a very large SD card - even though my image is only 64mb big, if i write it to a 16gb card - it actually does work.

Speaking to the guy who sells and makes firmward for the scsi2sd, he said that he never tested it with small xxMB!! cards and infact never used anything under 4gb. So it does seem likely its the SCSI2SD not being able to read small cards. I'm hoping to send some off to him for testing as i'm wasting a nice 16gb card right now on a WB1.3.

Thanks Toni and the rest for you for help getting this sorted and i will report back so future generations will benefit.