English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 April 2010, 15:59   #1
asm1

Tower Build (attempt three... or is it 4?...)

Me again

As most of you know by now I am trying and thus far failing to build my A1200 into an Elbox Z4 tower. The build has been delayed as I had to get someone to fix Various bits of my hardware (broken tracks and new ram Socket on SCSI kit, new battery on BL 1260 etc)

Yesterday, finally sick of loooking at my miggy in bits on the table, I decided to stick the newly repaired BLizzard into my (almost) otherwise fully assembled Tower.

You can imagine my delight, when, after fiddling about reinstalling all the bits.... Classic Workbench booted (OS 3.9) on my already prepared CF card.... Woo hoo!

"Great!" Says me "I'll try it with the SCSI kit now". So I duly switch the machine off. Connect up the SCSI kit and power on again. Indivision splash and then nothing. Touches blizzard and its getting warm. Power off again within 10 sec.

Take Blizzard out, scowl at it, and then unhook SCSI kit. It is at this point I notice that the insulating sticky bit of paper on the back of the SCSI kit isn't there anymore This makes sense as the guy who fixed the kit will have had to remove it in order to de-solder the old SIMM socklet and put the new one on, although why I didn't notice it before installation is anyones guess.

So back to basics and with everything out of the case I gingerly power up with the indy attached and the 1260 on its own in place. Indy splash...... then Nowt. Black screen nothing happens. Power off and then swear for 2 mins. That done, I start to wonder what could be the cause of the issue.

Tried the 1260 with no RAM/ Different stick -same result, black screen after indy splash.

Try the board on its own (1D1) - actually started booting the CF again, but didnt get far as only 2MB. Removed CF and got KS screen, as expected.

At this point I thought I'd test my newly repaired 1D4 Mobo just on the off chance....

Tried with repaired board ( WITH timing fixes, has worked in the past with 060 until I cooked it) Board works fine, as I could get KS screen without 060 installed. As soon as I put the 060 in, yup, black screen.

Me being me and it being late when I was doing this, I didn't quite do things as logically as I have written them, therefore lots of swapping ensued...
Plus the fact that I have 2 boards and 1 set of KS 3.1 chips meant that with the constant swaping I bent/broke a pin didnt I? Muppet.

Fortunately I then found a spare board with 3.0 KS on it, which I duly whipped off and repeated all the above tests. Same results.

Fearing that one or other of the edge connectors might be to blame I dug out my 8MB board - works on both Mobos, can get into preboot menu with 2 mouse button held down. Sadly KS 3.0 isn't much use to me as I intend running 3.9. So two sets of replacement KS 3.1 have been ordered.

Lastly, this morning I thought about power. I have a ATX PSU from Amigakit (430 or thereabouts watts) and one of their adapters to use with the Z4 (it has a pass through line for the 12v rail) I swapped this for my spare OCZ 620 PC PSU, which I didn't intend using as it is almost too heavy for the (relatively) flimsy Z4 tower chassis. Connected up and using the same adapter I powered up again. Still no joy but instead of a black screen I got flashing yellow screen which I beleive is a CPU error.

The only thing I haven't done, and will do this afternoon is clean the contacts on the edge connector and Blizzard. If that doesn't sort it I am out of ideas.

Anyone ?

Andrew
Old 20 April 2010, 16:08   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I don't own, nor have I seen a Blizzard 1260 with the SCSI kit in 'real life' but with the insulating tape as you call it missing is it possible you shorted something out? I really hope not being the most expensive part.

I really hope your luck changes on this build mate.

Steve.
Old 20 April 2010, 16:21   #3
asm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I don't own, nor have I seen a Blizzard 1260 with the SCSI kit in 'real life' but with the insulating tape as you call it missing is it possible you shorted something out? I really hope not being the most expensive part.
I was beginning to wonder that myself although I cannot see any signs of anything shorting or burning (repaired mobo aside, but then with that I know where to look) That does not mean there isn't damage BUT.....

Quote:
I really hope your luck changes on this build mate.
I hope so too, or I shall have to think about how best to explain it to the insurance as there is no way in hell I can afford anothr 1260.

I've just cleaned the edge connector on the Blizzard and mobo with a meths soaked cotton bud/kitchen towel. The bud came out the blizzard grey.... once the meths has evaporated off I shall test....

fingers, toes and all else crossed
Old 20 April 2010, 16:25   #4
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm1 View Post
fingers, toes and all else crossed
Best of luck
Old 20 April 2010, 16:46   #5
Philophus

I take it you have 060 libs installed? just a thought.
Old 20 April 2010, 16:46   #6
asm1

The clean up didnt help - still get a flashing yellow screen on boot Not sure what else to try.... unless KS 3.0 doesn't like the 060, but then I wouldn't have thought that was it.

Bit sick now lol and thats not just the meths fumes. bah!

/Is away to lie down....
Old 20 April 2010, 16:50   #7
asm1

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philophus View Post
I take it you have 060 libs installed? just a thought.
No libs as I don't have a CF connected. The one I do have has 3.9 on it with libs, but I need KS 3.1 for that to work. I thought it would be possible to get to the early boot menu (both buttons on mouse) without libs installed.... maybe it isn't with an 060, although the 8MB card does this fine.

Will wait for my new 3.1 chips and see.
Old 20 April 2010, 16:54   #8
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Maybe it's a problem with the indivision connection? Could perhaps try cleaning the legs on Lisa (oo err)

I havn't messed with Amiga hardware for a few years but I remember when I had my A1200 tower, most problems were caused by dodgy connections rather than blown hardware or software issues.

I used to have a lot of problems with clip on chips that weren't seated properly.

Anyway mate, take a break and attack it full force a little later
Old 21 April 2010, 04:06   #9
Phantomz

I've had this Black Screen problem before when I have put in my Blizzard 1260 ( haven't got a SCSI Kit ).

The Machine worked ok before I removed it, but when I put in the Blizzard 1260, would just give me a black screen, took me about 3 attempts of taking it out and putting it back in to get it working.

My edge connector was clean so was abit puzzled.

Maybe these cards are fussy with the edge connector
Old 21 April 2010, 13:20   #10
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomz View Post
I've had this Black Screen problem before when I have put in my Blizzard 1260 ( haven't got a SCSI Kit ).

The Machine worked ok before I removed it, but when I put in the Blizzard 1260, would just give me a black screen, took me about 3 attempts of taking it out and putting it back in to get it working.

My edge connector was clean so was abit puzzled.

Maybe these cards are fussy with the edge connector
Both sides have to be clean, toothbrush and alcohol for the connector and pencil eraser followed by alcohol for the edge.
Old 21 April 2010, 13:49   #11
asm1

I shall try the pencil eraser /alcohol trick and find a spare toothbrush lol
Old 21 April 2010, 14:00   #12
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Just a though mate, is it the angle the edge connector sits at in the tower?

I've heard of some that only work leaning a certain way, again a clean up might sort that but its work a check with the board out of the tower.

Steve.
Old 21 April 2010, 14:25   #13
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Just a though mate, is it the angle the edge connector sits at in the tower?

I've heard of some that only work leaning a certain way, again a clean up might sort that but its work a check with the board out of the tower.

Steve.
If it's an angle, then it's always a contact problem, pins can lose their tension over the years, like any PC I repair, if it has ram issues, wobbling the ram back and forewards a few times in their sockets usually helps, I am talking moving them back and forth about 1 mm each way.