English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 May 2004, 02:07   #1
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

Over rated games

Come on lets hear about those over rated game. You know the ones, everyone in the world loves it but you just cant stand it. Well nows you chance to share your over rated games rants with us.

I'm just interested to know why you hate the game. Please dont 'stick up' for a game if you love it and some one calls it over rated, I'd rather this was just a rant, not a debate (WAR!).
Old 28 May 2004, 03:36   #2
Jim

Lotus Trilogy. I'm sorry but ALL early arcade style racers like this are pants - on all systems - it was not specifically the Amiga's fault. Games such as Stunt Car Racer, Indy 500, Vroom (arcadey) and of course F1GP were far superior driving games. Lotus was just a prettier version of Outrun, which in itself was crap @ home. These Outrun style games only really appealed to me in the arcades where you had a wheel. Maybe if Lotus had null-modem 2 player then it might not have been so bad, but those 2-player on the same screen games were ugly, no matter how technically marvellous. Chase HQ or Batman The Movie (Level 2) where actuallly more fun for me as at least the driving angle had a twist.

Speedball II - However slick it was done the whole idea of a ball (metal sphere) sport being played with the hands is, and to me always has been laughable. It's just blokes in metail suits throwing a ball around isn't it? They also seem to have taken all the annoying things from American sports (which I hate), even the crap like the "Ice Cream Ice Cream" seller and the whole presentation. Give me Sensible Football anyday - OK it's just men kicking a ball around, but at least something I can relate to.

Any Amiga Doom style game - e.e. Gloom, Alien Breed 3D. I'm sorry, they were all shite. Give the Amiga something it is good at for christsake ! Maybe if you had a 060 processor they were OK - but how many people at the time had those ?

Jetstrike - this game is crap. Scrolling is crap and nasty. Screen area is too small (or sprites are too large, depending how you see it). Control is non-intuitive. For better example (yet simpler game) see Biplane Duel (Bip).

Kick Off 2 - people should have stopped playing this the moment Sensible Soccer came out. It's not like we were all console users. Even people who couldn't afford to buy SS or 2 blank floppies could have copied over their original Kick Off 2 & Final Whistle disks with a SS crack. The only reason you should have remained playing Kick Off 2 is if you had no friends who had SS.

Turrican series - nice music and all, but the levels where too big and the game was hardly original. I was bored actually. But I never had a C64 so maybe didn't get the nostalgia.

Maybe some of these are better than I thought. But at the time I had about 500 disks full of games. If I didn't like something about a game, or a better version of the same thing came along then I stopped playing the original. Having a big collection of anything makes you quickly loose patience and you tend to get that Cable TV "channel-hopping" attitude with your games.

Old 28 May 2004, 08:29   #3
gary

Zool : I couldn't understand why most magazines hyped this one up so much. They also called it a 'Sonic beater' which was really pathetic.
Old 28 May 2004, 09:04   #4
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Body Blows Series

Quite why this series isnt universally laughed at in the same way as ROtR is beyond me. HIDEOUS characters, dull dull gameplay and hideous characters.

*spit*
Old 28 May 2004, 09:23   #5
fiath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Kick Off 2 - people should have stopped playing this the moment Sensible Soccer came out. It's not like we were all console users. Even people who couldn't afford to buy SS or 2 blank floppies could have copied over their original Kick Off 2 & Final Whistle disks with a SS crack. The only reason you should have remained playing Kick Off 2 is if you had no friends who had SS.
Copy over their originals??? I hope you're kidding!
Old 28 May 2004, 09:57   #6
ant512

Alien Breed
All of the games (with the exception of the first 3D incarnation) were amazingly avergage PD-style shoot-em-ups. No innovation, no hardware-pushing tricks, and bog-standard gameplay. Overly-large, clunky graphics didn't help either.

Any Footy-Manny Games
Sensible Soccer, SWOS, Kick Off, Goal... If I want to play football I'll go outside, and won't have to pay £30 for the privilage.

Any Football Management Games
I work with databases all day. The last thing I ever want to do is work with databases at home too.

Shadow of the Beast Series
They look great. They sound great. They're utterly, utterly rubbish games. If you accidentally use a potion or a key in the wrong place, you're screwed and have to start again. The game doesn't warn you that you're about to screw up, though, nor does it tell you that you've done so. You'll just continue playing for another few hours before you get fed up. You can get stuck in deep holes in the ground with no way out. They are full of leaps of faith. In short, they are crap.

Another World
It is completely scripted. Once you can remember which buttons to press at which juncture, you can play right through the entire game. It's rather like Dragon's Lair (arcade version), but without the hand-drawn graphics - nothing more than a test of memory. Even Rick Dangerous had at least some randomness arising from the movement of the enemy sprites.

F1
This was hyped at the time for being an extremely fast racer. AP in particular loved it (it was one of the freebies they gave away if you subscrbed). It achieved the speed by having a miniscule display window. Otherwise, it was nothing special.

Sierra Adventure Games
LucasArts took a dull genre and added humour, and in doing so created a string of classics. Sierra took a dull genre and added nothing, and in doing so certainly didn't get any money from me.
Old 28 May 2004, 11:25   #7
Peanutuk

Heimdal :
Cearly reviewers were awed by the graphics but failed to highlight the extremely dull and largely empty game. Walka round a dungeon, fall in a hole, fight a baddy - for ever. Despite the graphics [because of?] the game lacked atmosphere for me and soon became very boring.
Old 28 May 2004, 11:38   #8
manicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Speedball II - However slick it was done the whole idea of a ball (metal sphere) sport being played with the hands is, and to me always has been laughable. It's just blokes in metail suits throwing a ball around isn't it? They also seem to have taken all the annoying things from American sports (which I hate), even the crap like the "Ice Cream Ice Cream" seller and the whole presentation. Give me Sensible Football anyday - OK it's just men kicking a ball around, but at least something I can relate to.

Turrican series - nice music and all, but the levels where too big and the game was hardly original. I was bored actually. But I never had a C64 so maybe didn't get the nostalgia.
Are you sure you had an Amiga?
Old 28 May 2004, 13:37   #9
Medvind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Lotus Trilogy. I'm sorry but ALL early arcade style racers like this are pants - on all systems - it was not specifically the Amiga's fault. Games such as Stunt Car Racer, Indy 500, Vroom (arcadey) and of course F1GP were far superior driving games. Lotus was just a prettier version of Outrun, which in itself was crap @ home. These Outrun style games only really appealed to me in the arcades where you had a wheel. Maybe if Lotus had null-modem 2 player then it might not have been so bad, but those 2-player on the same screen games were ugly, no matter how technically marvellous. Chase HQ or Batman The Movie (Level 2) where actuallly more fun for me as at least the driving angle had a twist.

Any Amiga Doom style game - e.e. Gloom, Alien Breed 3D. I'm sorry, they were all shite. Give the Amiga something it is good at for christsake ! Maybe if you had a 060 processor they were OK - but how many people at the time had those ?

Jetstrike - this game is crap. Scrolling is crap and nasty. Screen area is too small (or sprites are too large, depending how you see it). Control is non-intuitive. For better example (yet simpler game) see Biplane Duel (Bip).

Maybe some of these are better than I thought. But at the time I had about 500 disks full of games. If I didn't like something about a game, or a better version of the same thing came along then I stopped playing the original. Having a big collection of anything makes you quickly loose patience and you tend to get that Cable TV "channel-hopping" attitude with your games.
AMEN brother!
Old 28 May 2004, 16:54   #10
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

I totally agree on Lotus, Turrican and Sierra. My hatred/indifference towards these days still gets me lots of hate mail these days. A few additions:

Lionheart
The ads and magazines repeating the mantra that its graphics are oh-so-great doesn't make it true. Also plays like any average game: boring:

Curse of Enchantia
A few magazines actually gave this 'game' good reviews. I find it almost unplayable with its deadly 'scrolling', its confusing controls and its ridiculous puzzles.

Shadowgate
I like most of the games Icom made, but Shadowgate? Nothing but tedious torch management and frustrating death scenes.

German 'Economy Simulations'
Looking at dry statistics made up of endless numbers all day isn't fun, simple as that.

Legend of Kyrandia
If Sierra had made good games, imitating them might have been a good idea...
Old 28 May 2004, 17:11   #11
JudasEZT

wow! this thread is very hardcore..

hmm. I would say Leander. nice scroll, great graphics but fucked boring, repetitive and uninspired in terms of level design.

and of course SensibleSoccer, thats not soccer.. If I want to play something fun without needing of simulation to soccer, then I prefer Speedball2
Old 28 May 2004, 18:08   #12
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Lionheart
The ads and magazines repeating the mantra that its graphics are oh-so-great doesn't make it true. Also plays like any average game: boring:
I never got why the graphics where so great? I like the copper thingie.. but apart from that its all a greenbrown mess pasted on top to me.
Other games had good graphics that suited the background style and colors where of the same uniform "warmth". Most psygnosis games, bitmapbros..

Wolfchild
was the overhyped game of my collection.. it reminds me of a red green picture 3d with out the glasses.

Any beat em up apart from IK+
Streetfighter II, and later the following games KOF/SFA/MVC showed how it should be done. Fast, short combinations, and SPEED.

Elf.. jump forward.. and then back again in the same jump, no reason to do anything but the longest/fierce move all the time.

Bodyblows same thing.

streetfighter II conversion.. lets punch trough the block and remove most of the basic high low special combination.

Shadowfighter

Things where wrong with all of them
*Slow/to low framreate, and the result of it:
*Control Lag on one of the most control sensitive genres.
*1! button control??
*Throws
*all moves take about the same time to execute
*lack of bob/sprite "size" makes the moves look and play like they are bound to a box

Last edited by spiff; 28 May 2004 at 18:49.
Old 28 May 2004, 18:37   #13
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Mhhhhhh ????? So AMIGA suxx ?!?!?!

Are you all on drugs ?!
Old 28 May 2004, 21:53   #14
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmatron

Are you all on drugs ?!
LOL hey i agree with the kiddo!
Old 29 May 2004, 01:18   #15
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmatron

Are you all on drugs ?!
Yes, of course. After all, every computer which doesn't have 100% great games is automatically crap, isn't it?
Old 29 May 2004, 05:13   #16
Jim

This thread is quite relevant.

Old 29 May 2004, 05:24   #17
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicx
Are you sure you had an Amiga?
Yes, because I had the delights of Sensible Soccer & Sensible World Of Soccer

Another one to add to the list:

R-Type
I don't care how pixel-perfect to the coin-op it is. How lovingly crafter the baddie waves are.

The game is pretty ugly looking, and it's too bloody hard for my liking (however I am sure if I put on sunglasses to dim some of the ugliness I would play it more and get good at it). The music is crap too. And the sound. So it's a very dated conversion of a very dated arcade machine. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's good. X-Out & Apidya are nice horiz SEU's

Old 29 May 2004, 05:31   #18
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Quote:

Speedball II was FUN to play - forget the presentation. The "Icecream!" thing was a brilliant touch: A person has become so battered and beaten that they're dragged off the pitch... meanwhile the crowd enjoys their icecream. A cold hearted future, I love it!

Gloom and Alien Breed 3D didn't suffer from ANY slowdown on my standard A1200 with 4MB fastram and were really well designed and again, FUN to play!

As for R-Type. Wow, I still play that game (as I still play Speedball II from time to time).

My list:

Curse of Enchantia - I just played this for the first time recently. WTH?? This was the biggest pile of crap I've EVER played! Amiga Power game it a GREAT REVIEW?!? Their reviewer said it was "one of the funniest games I've ever played" - I admit games aren't reknowned for their comedy, but still -- I didn't even smile! The interface was abominable, there were HIDDEN OBJECTS and NO CLUES that they were there (which was a Good Thing, according to that particular AP reviewer!). The puzzles didn't make ANY sense, either! I can't believe how rated this POS game was!

Body Blows - While the Amiga was trying hard to be a console it turned out turds like this which everyone seemed to herald as being great. They weren't. The Amiga was never a console (except the CD32 ).

Zool - See above!

Adams Family - See above! (I couldn't get into, I really tried... it was far too endless for me)

Virtual Karting - See above!

Capital Punishment - See above (but with great graphics and an idiotic learning curve!)

Premier - Bland and boring.

Titus the Fox - See above.

Harlequin - I'll never understand why this got such great reviews.

Guardian - It was good, but not that good - the controls were too difficult.

Simon the Sorcerer - This game was not funny! Monkey Island was funny. This was not.

And probably more. A lot of these games I really tried to like, but sometimes nothing can beat your expectations and hype can kill something quite easily.

Last edited by JohnnyWalker; 29 May 2004 at 05:56.
Old 29 May 2004, 10:44   #19
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Here's another one:

Zak McKracken
It starts out sooooo well with the freaky telephone aliens and some nice puzzles, but once you leave San Francisco, it degenerates into a series of stupid mazes!
Old 29 May 2004, 13:57   #20
JudasEZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker
Speedball II was FUN to play - forget the presentation. The "Icecream!" thing was a brilliant touch: A person has become so battered and beaten that they're dragged off the pitch... meanwhile the crowd enjoys their icecream. A cold hearted future, I love it!

Gloom and Alien Breed 3D didn't suffer from ANY slowdown on my standard A1200 with 4MB fastram and were really well designed and again, FUN to play!

As for R-Type. Wow, I still play that game (as I still play Speedball II from time to time).

My list:

Curse of Enchantia - I just played this for the first time recently. WTH?? This was the biggest pile of crap I've EVER played! Amiga Power game it a GREAT REVIEW?!? Their reviewer said it was "one of the funniest games I've ever played" - I admit games aren't reknowned for their comedy, but still -- I didn't even smile! The interface was abominable, there were HIDDEN OBJECTS and NO CLUES that they were there (which was a Good Thing, according to that particular AP reviewer!). The puzzles didn't make ANY sense, either! I can't believe how rated this POS game was!

Body Blows - While the Amiga was trying hard to be a console it turned out turds like this which everyone seemed to herald as being great. They weren't. The Amiga was never a console (except the CD32 ).

Zool - See above!

Adams Family - See above! (I couldn't get into, I really tried... it was far too endless for me)

Virtual Karting - See above!

Capital Punishment - See above (but with great graphics and an idiotic learning curve!)

Premier - Bland and boring.

Titus the Fox - See above.

Harlequin - I'll never understand why this got such great reviews.

Guardian - It was good, but not that good - the controls were too difficult.

Simon the Sorcerer - This game was not funny! Monkey Island was funny. This was not.

And probably more. A lot of these games I really tried to like, but sometimes nothing can beat your expectations and hype can kill something quite easily.
again, this thread is very hardcore!! =)
but I agree in all this comments, johnny.
SimonTheSorcerer was boring and bland