English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 19 June 2015, 21:27   #1
JumpingJackson

Sound lag in OctaMED

When I tap the keys on the keyboard, yes notes are played back but there is split second delay, like maybe 250ms.

Was watching this vid - [ Show youtube player ] and he's like key jazzing like a god!! As you can see his key taps are pretty low latency. How can I improve latency so I can be as awesome as he is?

I'm using the latest version of WinUAE 3.x on Windows 8.
Old 19 June 2015, 22:57   #2
Christian
Zone Friend

Try lowering the sound buffer to the minimum setting and using WASAPI or Portaudio as the sound device. You may need to download the Portaudio library from the Winuae website. Don't use Dsound.
Old 20 June 2015, 00:23   #3
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

I'm so glad you mentioned that, Christian! I noticed that too in OctaMED V4 - the delay is between keypress and sample playback. Also, some samples sound distorted where before, on my real Amiga back in the day, they were crystal clear. Yet, I've been using WinUAE for a number of years now but only recently started using OctaMED again and the problems mentioned come to light. (I did some music modules a long time ago and my old disks has recently been ADF-ed).

The above worked! The only other option I had to change as well, was Display > Settings > Native - Legacy VSync.
Old 20 June 2015, 00:48   #4
JumpingJackson

Thanks Christian. I'll give that a go.

One thing I noticed as well is a problem with volume levels. May just be my speakers but my copy came with a sample mod called 'fairlight'. The melody sounds really low in the mix, can barely hear it. But on FA-UAE on OSX it sounds much better (plus no lag, macs are generally better for that!).
Old 20 June 2015, 01:44   #5
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Try lowering the sound buffer to the minimum setting and using WASAPI or Portaudio as the sound device. You may need to download the Portaudio library from the Winuae website. Don't use Dsound.
Whats the function of the sound buffer slider when we use WASAPI and PortAudio? Its different than with DSound? I remember Toni saying the sound buffer slider only has function with DirectSound, but I am not sure. Anyway its really an excellent tip, I will try it with games too, thanks.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 20 June 2015 at 04:36.
Old 20 June 2015, 07:45   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

The smaller the buffer, the shorter the latency. Minimum value (before glitches appear) depends on lots of variables, API type, etc.. Sound card can also make a difference, most on-board chips are crappy cheap realteks with crappy drivers, not optimized for real time streaming with tiny buffers.

Note that you usually get more latency if you use "legacy" vsync.
Old 23 June 2015, 20:13   #7
JumpingJackson

Finally got to try it out. Reduced buffer size to 2 and it works great now, thanks!