English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 14 March 2019, 09:27   #1
vroom6sri

What do you think was the most sophisticated/technically impressive Amiga flight sim?

I've been pondering this for a while and I'm looking at this for a game engine visuals/environment point of view rather than the physics engine.

I like Gunship 2000 as the landscapes gave more dimensions such as the surface of the river being lower than the surrounding ground, being able to fly through valleys (and train tunnels), "mist" out at sea and the patch-work fields. Did F117a use the same engine?

I believe Tornado was quite detailed and benefited from an accelerated Amiga but I haven't tried that yet. I have ACA1230/56 so I will have to give it a go at some point.

Of course I suppose I have to consider TFX too even if it never officially saw the light of day.

Would you add any titles for consideration?
Old 14 March 2019, 10:00   #2
hitchhikr

I'd add "Birds of Prey" (http://hol.abime.net/121)
Old 14 March 2019, 10:01   #3
Daedalus

From a visuals point of view it's hard to look past TFX - it's the only one I know of that had fully shaded polygons and realistic colours.

Edit: Yep, Birds of Prey was my favourite sim from a flight model and freedom point of view, but probably not the most advanced engine visually.
Old 14 March 2019, 13:25   #4
d4rk3lf

The Shadow of the Third Moon (1997) seems graphically most impressive to me, however I think it's very arcade gameplay, and not realistic at all.
It also require beast of Amiga to run properly:

[ Show youtube player ]

http://hol.abime.net/1894
Old 14 March 2019, 18:59   #5
onkelarie

I always loved Falcon and some good old f18 interceptor thrown in every now and then. TFX is technically probably the most impressive, but never played it.
Old 14 March 2019, 19:42   #6
vroom6sri

SOTTM certainly looks good but it seems that you're at a semi-fixed altitude or rather that you don't seem to be able go very high.

I always liked BOP and, whilst the game world is a bit sparse the shading effects are nice as are the darkening sky as you climb (and stars?).

I don't have a lot of memories of what the game world was like in Falcon but wasn't it fairly flat like most flight sims of that time?
Old 14 March 2019, 20:39   #7
arcanist

I really liked Tornado back in the day. It had an impressive manual and lots of variety in the missions.

I think it's the only flight sim I've played that had "loft bombing", where you could pull up before releasing a bomb to give it more distance through momentum. This could be done from behind a hill to avoid overflying the target.
Old 14 March 2019, 21:25   #8
Photon

The most sophisticated one should be the one that takes the longest from title menu to lifting off runway. (I'm serious, as in surrounding story/character/briefing/depth of missions, plane selection, armaments, switches to flip in cockpit. Also camera views and camera tracking.) If one even has a checklist to complete before take-off, it'd be similar to realistic flight sims today.

I liked F/A-18 and Bomber the most, F/A-18 should still be the most technically impressive (if you mean performance) on A500.
Old 14 March 2019, 23:24   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post
I've been pondering this for a while and I'm looking at this for a game engine visuals/environment point of view rather than the physics engine.

I like Gunship 2000 as the landscapes gave more dimensions such as the surface of the river being lower than the surrounding ground, being able to fly through valleys (and train tunnels), "mist" out at sea and the patch-work fields. Did F117a use the same engine?

I believe Tornado was quite detailed and benefited from an accelerated Amiga but I haven't tried that yet. I have ACA1230/56 so I will have to give it a go at some point.

Of course I suppose I have to consider TFX too even if it never officially saw the light of day.

Would you add any titles for consideration?
F-29 Retaliator was pretty good back in the day, decently fast engine, but I had more fun with the older F/A 18 Interceptor.
Old 14 March 2019, 23:50   #10
eXeler0

TFX is surely the most advanced ... attempt.. was never 100% finished, so optimizations were probably not done.. so yea it doesn't run well on most Amigas..

My personal fav was Gunship 2000 (on an accelerated A1200 with fast mem, too choppy on vanilla 1200)
Old 14 March 2019, 23:52   #11
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Well if it's from a technical viewpoint then TFX has to be the clear winner as it's the only Amiga flight-sim which featured state-of-the-art (at the time) gouraud shading.
Old 15 March 2019, 00:11   #12
Seiya

Tornado is very sophisticated flight sim very accurate in detail. Also i like so much Combat Air Patrol
Old 15 March 2019, 01:28   #13
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

I'd have to go for the one I spent the most time playing.

And that prize, and I had many of them, goes to F16 Combat Pilot

Sure the hills are all pyramids but the mission depth, immersion, and difficulty level were all great.

I also enjoyed Microprose Stealth Fighter (the version with the F117 and the fictional F19), which I think I'm correct in saying, was the first to boast that you could "navigate via the stars in the sky" as they were "mapped out to our real night sky" (I'd assume at a fixed point in time).

It also did "turbulence" at low altitude rather well....annoyingly.
Old 15 March 2019, 17:09   #14
vroom6sri

I've just had a quick look at Combat Air Patrol on YouTube. It looks nice with some nice details such as the scattered clouds, the pseudo-night vision effect on the MFD and a sort of virtual cockpit where you seem to be able to look freely around 360 degrees. The landscape looks a little flat in the usual way for flight sims from that era but but the coastline looks a little more authentic with it not following a regular shape.

I think I'll have to try that one out.

Last edited by vroom6sri; 15 March 2019 at 17:19.
Old 16 March 2019, 21:16   #15
Seiya

Combat Air Patrol has also a good detail level that at maximum you see more detail on airplane and, i think, also on ground

Also A10 Tank Killer v1.5 at least it is nice flight sim and world is enough complex
Old 17 March 2019, 19:23   #16
van_dammesque

F15 Strike Eagle II for me!
Old 17 March 2019, 20:50   #17
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_dammesque View Post
f15 strike eagle ii for me!
+1
Old 18 March 2019, 06:45   #18
Foebane
Banned

F29 Retaliator was the first 16-bit flight sim I experienced, it was fun and fast, and I liked how your pilot avatar in one of the briefing screenshots looked like Tom Selleck. I also thought the typeface for the menu was odd: I thought for a long time one of the options was "European Battlesround".

TFX looked impressive to me, and it was released commercially. What do you mean, it was never completed?
Old 18 March 2019, 09:38   #19
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
TFX looked impressive to me, and it was released commercially. What do you mean, it was never completed?
It was only released by CU Amiga Magazine after they managed to get the rights of it from DID. The original project was shelved by the publishers when it was almost complete because they couldn't get the required performance from a stock A1200, and unlike PC owners, Amiga owners were reluctant to upgrade their hardware for games, so there simply wasn't a userbase in the dwindling Amiga market.
Old 18 March 2019, 10:33   #20
Locutus

If i want to run TFX now on a 4000/060, exactly which version/patches is recommended?