English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 May 2018, 08:55   #21
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Then how is one supposed to know "what it can do now"?

When I bought mines, they were with core 2.0, which has its set of bugs and issues, none of these were listed anywhere.
Forums, user reviews etc. just like you would do with any other product?
Old 05 May 2018, 16:08   #22
Glen M

From my own point of view whdload is great but my a1200 and moreso my cd32 is my Amiga gaming platform. As per my original post I'm looking for the modern Amiga experience for which vampire appears to be the best solution. It will also be great to be able to dabble with the more demand games, apps and demos.
Old 06 May 2018, 18:27   #23
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Forums, user reviews etc. just like you would do with any other product?
Can you recommend a good review perhaps?
Old 06 May 2018, 19:03   #24
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
As per my original post I'm looking for the modern Amiga experience for which vampire appears to be the best solution.
Yes, that is true, without even needing a monitor with VGA input There are even bonus add-ons that gives you the joy of tinkering with advanced modern stuff like full-duplex vs. half-duplex on the ultrafast 10Mbit ENC28J60 NIC, manually messing around with MTU in the driver config etc, and *almost* reach the LAN speeds of the original A2065 NIC with its am7990 chip from 1988! Yes, I encourage you to buy a Vampire card, it truly gives you the authentic feeling of what modern Amiga in 1998 could have been like, without the PowerPC mess, before MorphOS and OS4, before AROS could boot on its own

Just curious, do you own OS3.9 already?
Old 06 May 2018, 22:32   #25
majsta
www.majsta.com

@kolla you are too negative. Let's wait some time till our work is done and then we will re-read your posts once more. It would be fun
Old 06 May 2018, 22:42   #26
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by majsta View Post
@kolla you are too negative. Let's wait some time till our work is done and then we will re-read your posts once more. It would be fun
What do you mean "wait some time"? I am talking about the Vampire V2 that one can buy NOW, with the features and specs available NOW. You know, when one buys it for what it is NOW.
Old 07 May 2018, 05:53   #27
Mr-Z

@Glenn M

I have vampire (V600) since Silver 9 core and it's amazing little card, for WHDload currently not the best option (but might be in the near future)
Those old games are a can of worms, you catch one and another one manages to get out again.

But for having a really nice&fast "modern" classic Amiga experience well it's the best option by far at this moment, you get all the nice goodies in one card, RTG, fast CPU and pipe lined FPU (tough not the full Apollo FPU due to size restrictions of the C3 FPGA) 128 MB of the fastest memory available on classic Amiga.
All system/OS friendly software works and very fast and you finally can play MPEG video on a decent speed and quality on a classic Amiga (even way better then a csppc with 604e 233 Mhz)
Watch high end RTG compatible scene demos on speeds that could be previously be only achieved on emulators.

But if you want all the goodies including AGA, full FPU, and sound from HDMI cable i suggest to wait for V4.

Quote:
Then how is one supposed to know "what it can do now"?
Read the current feature list of current core ?
And i agree with majsta, you are too negative, stick to the topic for once if it's about vampire or start your own thread instead of hijacking other topics constantly (yes i own 3.9 officially)

Old 07 May 2018, 11:04   #28
majsta
www.majsta.com

@kolla you are missing of understanding complete concept. I will repeat, no matter what card we make V2, V4 or "V100" this is not and never will be finished project or product. Unlike other things here you have option to update. Each core from Silver version till latest versions brings new upgrades. What's not compatible maybe now it will be in the future. On Silver1 core hardly anything was compatible for normal use.

As for network you say also things that are not true. We gave people option to have network option for free. It is not about how is fast or slow. This was the first time that you could actually get it for free by not spending 50Eur or even more to get the same. Everyone welcomed that because people finally started to understand our concept. What's slow or incompatible today it will be faster and more compatible later. When you start investigating about complaints on forums year ago and same people with new cores says now that those stuff are fixed.

Thank's God we have number of projects now for various Amiga models done by someone else. I always welcome them because it is good thing that people have options. It is good to say, hey I don't need Vampire card I could just buy memory expansion for my needs. Behind the scenes I m trying to support all of them by providing parts for free or giving them advice how stuff works.

It is also good that we have critics from you or anyone else because that push us forward. But you are so negative that in every possible place where is word "Vampire" or "Apollo core" you have to add your negativity. Your are constantly contradictory to yourself same time saying that this is not real deal and then supporting other FPGA Amiga related projects. Again, with your questions showing how much you don't know about all of this.

After all, knowing me, having so much negativity in me about something would bring best from me to start working on my own project. With that I could show that I can do better than others, and much different. So determine your own way to push Amiga forward, create your own project. You are just talking, not actually doing something. It is easier to spend 3 years typing here that this project isn't any good instead creating your own in that period of time.

Also, if you are skilled enough join us and we would welcome any idea who could bring us forward.
Old 07 May 2018, 11:37   #29
demolition
Unregistered User

Cheers to Majsta for taking the high road and responding very constructively to this black hole of negativity.

I love the Vampire and am looking forward to seeing it grow. It's like raising a kid - even though you try your best to mould him/her into something, you can't really know for sure how it will turn out in the end. Just hope for the best and enjoy the ride.

As I see it, the Vampire in its current state feels more mature than many other Amiga products, even the commercial ones from Icomp, Elbox etc..
Old 07 May 2018, 15:30   #30
kolla
Banned

But does it give you a "modern" Amiga experience? If so, what's so modern about it? Aside from HDMI output, there is nothing I can do with Vampire cards that I could not do on Amiga roughly 20 years ago.

As for "feeling more mature", I cannot subscribe to that yet. And since you mention it... what's so commercial about IComp and Elbox etc?

Last edited by kolla; 07 May 2018 at 15:42.
Old 07 May 2018, 16:09   #31
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
what's so commercial about IComp and Elbox etc?
They are registered as companies?
Old 07 May 2018, 18:54   #32
d4rk3lf

Just step in to say hello to my fellow countryman.
Majsta, we are proud of you!
(des' kralju, nema te na benchmarku nešto. Dolaziš li na okupljanje 19-og? )

Everyone have it's own needs, and it's great that we have so many cards today for the Amiga. I currently choose Aca 500+, because I love the fact that I don't need to open Amiga case everytime I need to remove or add cf card, and also vampire was out of my money range, at the moment.
But then again, there are people that don't like any exterial hardwer attached to their Amiga, and I perfectly understand that. Also, some like more compatibility, but some like to watch youtube on Amiga.... great thing is that we can choose!

Keep up the great work Majsta!
Old 07 May 2018, 19:53   #33
majsta
www.majsta.com

@d4rk3lf
Hvala, nazalost necu stici, stalno guzva... Bas mi je zao, vidim da se mnogo dobra ekipa okuplja.

@kolla Can you explain to me what is modern Amiga experience. Compared to what? Amiga 8000 perhaps build in 2003 or something else. You are not making valid case here, same as I would said could you load Google page on Amiga 20 years ago, well no Google didn't exists back then.
Vampire/Apollo project was founded by group of idiots who left their personal life, in fact life in any common sense to focus on this project to show Amiga future vision as we see it. So please, like I said start your own project, your vision and if there is anything I can help with I will but I would be supportive not negative as you are. Please make valid case about this or this will be just one more non constructive talk with only point to destroy the topic.
Old 07 May 2018, 20:11   #34
solidcore

@Majsta

Good luck with the project mate, enjoyed following your blog and your hardware developments, keep it up.

As a fellow dev working on the A1200 with kipper2k and Mike Stirling it would be interesting if you could send a pm on freenode irc to solidcore_ or kipper2k regarding future of the A1200 scene. Our K1208 8mb fastmem project has been published open source by Mike on his github but we have bigger things to come.
Old 07 May 2018, 20:20   #35
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I'm looking for the modern Amiga experience for which vampire appears to be the best solution.
Well I'm not a "modern Amiga experience" fan, but I think you are being misled and/or wrong with this statement.

It seems to me that for the modern Amiga experience you need a PPC-line processor and AmigaOS 4.x. Also there's a ton more new/modern software for PPC-Amiga than there is for souped-up 68k like Vampire.

So maybe you have to really know exactly what you want from your "modern Amiga experience". Vampire to me seems more like a new bridge from 68k to PPC but which doesn't have as much dev yet (because it's new), while PPC has been around for decades and is still pretty active. Really depends on what you want to do with it.
Old 07 May 2018, 20:33   #36
Chucky

Just a question. WHAT is a "modern Amiga experience"?
Old 07 May 2018, 20:40   #37
AdvanceFollow

A Raspberry Pi 3B+ gives you about 210 MIPS / 165 MFLOPS. That's a pretty "modern" Amiga experience in my view. It's also very compatible with WHDLoad.
Old 07 May 2018, 20:42   #38
Chucky

MIPS = Meaningless Information Provided by Salesperson..

ESPECIALLY when measured in an emulator with JIT enabled..
Old 07 May 2018, 20:42   #39
Chucky

however. SPEED is not really covered in "modern Amiga experience".. so WHAT is it?
Old 07 May 2018, 21:21   #40
kolla
Banned

I see nothing modern in the Amiga experience, closest would perhaps be what MorphOS offers. The Vampire pushes the Amiga to around 1998, but the OS and software is still the same old, with all the same old limitations.

As for waiting for V4? Why not get a V2 first and then sell it when V4 is there?