English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 September 2010, 23:30   #41
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
iPad is a toy.
It's actually the way to go for mobile computing Smart phones are too small and netbooks too clumsy, hence it's design-wise the thing we'll see in the next years.

Last edited by TCD; 04 September 2010 at 10:21. Reason: missing o added...
Old 03 September 2010, 23:41   #42
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
probably cheaply made junk
Doesn't have to be, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
Nothing beats a good old expanded A1200/A4000 for running real Amiga software/games
... your absolutely right It's a real shame those companies aren't trying to properly remake AGA+68K, because that's Amiga (and what came before AGA, of course ).

Of course, there will be people who will buy those things, same goes for the SAM Should be boycotted
Old 04 September 2010, 01:18   #43
cv643d

No I wont, I have already invested into 4.0 on the classic PPC. It was great, but compatibility with classic applications left a lot to desire - so I sold it and I sold the PPC cards.

Then I got a Pegasos 2 (not Pegasus, I dont know what kind of Amiga system that is) to run 4.1. The Pegasos 2 motherboard is very nice IMHO and 4.1 was nice to use. It was awesome to be able to have a "modern" Workbench system...

...but it was not worth it in the long run IMHO, 600 euro was a lot for a toy with no sentimental value, I would rather have 600 tied up in a classic A4000 - So I sold that one to.

Dont know what the x1000 will offer that the Pegasos 2 could not, Peg2 at 1GHz is still one of the most badass 4.1 systems on the market and I suspect it will be able to hold its own even against x1000 for a while. What use is 2 cores?! if it was x86 we could at least run Wine apps on the other core.

Also, I think Frieden brother (dont know which one) is acting very negative on aw.net in combination with Hyperion lack any serious direction for Amiga, felt weird running AmigaOS4.1 and being happy when they are so grumpy and angry. I dont want to use such a system without a positive direction.

Makes you wonder, if Amiga is supposed to be all about 'remember when computing was fun' why they never loosen up on forums. And leaders need to be strong and point into the future, this is what the Amiga should be, not just a fun hobby system. It was fun as long as it lasted but I am all for 68k classic, AROS and maybe MOS now.
Old 04 September 2010, 10:14   #44
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
It's actually the way to go for mobile computing Smart phones are too small and netbooks to clumsy, hence it's design-wise the thing we'll see in the next years.
wash your mouth out

Having lived with a netbook a year or so ago I would never go back to a screen under 15". The amount of eye strain is unbelievable, don't even talk about the headaches

Similar thing with Amazon's kindle, give me a paper back book anyday! I cannot read books on a screen (any size).
Old 04 September 2010, 10:24   #45
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
wash your mouth out
I don't care much about mobile stuff (yet), but the idea of just having a slim screen (no matter how big it is ) sounds not too bad. Mind you, I would never buy an iPad
Old 04 September 2010, 12:55   #46
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Holy sh!t, that's a hefty price tag...no way!

PZ.
Old 04 September 2010, 13:00   #47
kriz

No way either, i use a mac mini for next gen stuff.. And the classic still works... So no need for this expensive toy
Old 04 September 2010, 16:59   #48
Lobotomika

Quote:
Having lived with a netbook a year or so ago I would never go back to a screen under 15". The amount of eye strain is unbelievable, don't even talk about the headaches
It's all about proper GUI scale, text dpi and screen distance. You wouldn't be able to use even a phone otherwise.
Old 04 September 2010, 19:32   #49
asm1

Am I going to buy it ? No. I dont have that kind of money to waste. Even if I did, still a resounding NO. I wouldn't buy it for half that price.

Is it any good? At what exactly ? Being a PC ? Nope. Being an Amiga ? Certainly not - it cant do the old stuff - the only thing "Amiga" about it is that it runs a newer version of the os.... which does feck all.

It is a toy for gullible fools to waste their money on. £1500 is nearly "Mac Pro" money. For that I would buy either a monster PC or a VERY hi spec iMac. It would be quicker, have more software and be "more useable" than some overpriced POS with an Amiga badge on it.

I love my miggie(s) I do. But I have long since realised that Amiga as a viable alternative platform died a painful death a long time ago. It survives as a retro platform, nothing more.

What I would like to see is reimplementation of "classic" amigas with new features, i.e. an A1200 with inbuilt SD/FF and so on. surely that is more realistic, and would probably generate more sales...
Old 04 September 2010, 19:38   #50
rare_j
Zone Friend

I still don't know what it does that a sub £300 PC can't..
If anyone want to put me out of my ignorance feel free!
Old 04 September 2010, 19:44   #51
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
I still don't know what it does that a sub £300 PC can't..
Improves your patience.
Old 04 September 2010, 20:02   #52
desiv

Quote:
Having lived with a netbook a year or so ago I would never go back to a screen under 15". The amount of eye strain is unbelievable, don't even talk about the headaches.
That's funny. My wife will only give up her Dell mini if you pulled it from her cold dying hands!!

We have a larger laptop that is also hers, which is now mine, as she doesn't want it...

No problem at all with the 10" screen.. No headaches..

She only uses it for web stuff tho...
(She's a business analyst, so there's a LOT of that.)

For reading books, I use my Nokia 770. She uses PAPER. Only PAPER!
We have thousands of books. I keep telling her I can fit all of them on a laptop or Kindle for her, and she laughs. It's about PAPER!! ;-)

desiv
Old 04 September 2010, 20:48   #53
HeZoR

I might consider this:
http://www.cybernetman.com/cart/view...fm?productId=2
Yes, it's the commodore desktop case without the sticker
Old 04 September 2010, 22:04   #54
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
That's funny. My wife will only give up her Dell mini if you pulled it from her cold dying hands!!

We have a larger laptop that is also hers, which is now mine, as she doesn't want it...

No problem at all with the 10" screen.. No headaches..

She only uses it for web stuff tho...
(She's a business analyst, so there's a LOT of that.)

For reading books, I use my Nokia 770. She uses PAPER. Only PAPER!
We have thousands of books. I keep telling her I can fit all of them on a laptop or Kindle for her, and she laughs. It's about PAPER!! ;-)

desiv
I had a Dell Mini 9. Ended up putting a 19" monitor on the external vga port which helped things Still sold it as it was hopeless with HD videos (atom sort of died)! Nice toy though, just a shame of the limitations
Old 04 September 2010, 22:09   #55
Cloudane

Very difficult to know where to stand. Commodore seem almost like the equivalent of SCO, but they're supporting AROS which seems to have the right attitudes and philosophy behind it IMO and doesn't cost the Earth to get the hardware required to use it. Being PC hardware doesn't ruin it for me.. that silent Atom machine looks pretty damn cool and if all else fails it can run other OSes. More tempting now than the expensive sam440 which would otherwise be a White elephant.
Old 04 September 2010, 22:47   #56
PaulyQ

Wouldn't touch it with a large shitty stick.

What current apps would actually run on OS4.1, what is being written for the new machine, and erm.... I like the feeling of £1500 in my pocket!!

Quote:
@Desiv:

Ever heard of Hackintosh? See if you can hacker the dell (if it's a min 9, even a mini 10 can be done to a point!!)?
Old 04 September 2010, 23:05   #57
amigarobbo

I am.

Old 05 September 2010, 15:58   #58
Slayer
Amiga Member

Yip, me too, but then, I am Slayer :-)

Perhaps if everyone was like me and never actually stopped using an Amiga they'd feel a similair way... Most of you who say it isn't even an Amiga anymore, I can ask, what exactly should it be for you to support it as an Amiga? If it had continued on evolving what components do you think would be in it? I'd assume it would use some type of current development...

I will never understand humans, they are so, fickle,,, LOL

I went from a A4000 to a SAM, then I brought a SAM Flex... I will buy the X1000, hell, I don't even have to think about it... later on I'll get the SAM460 too...

You's enjoy your older Amiga Systems... but then again, I have SH*TLOADs of that gear too
Old 05 September 2010, 16:29   #59
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Most of you who say it isn't even an Amiga anymore, I can ask, what exactly should it be for you to support it as an Amiga? If it had continued on evolving what components do you think would be in it? I'd assume it would use some type of current development...
Interesting question. If C= Amiga the company still existed today without all the bad management of the early 1990's then imo we'd see the following;

1995 - 1997 - AAA with 3000+ released

Yes, inevitable the transistion from the Motorola series would have to stop at some point... PPC introduced naturally. PPC would have been scrapped 8 years or so in 2002.

The Amiga today would slaughter everything, Windows would wimper at its very presence and it would be a killer in the studio/video arena with the Super Toaster, probably being powered by an 8-core Intel processor and secret highly developed Super-Alice providing so much graphics power it'd toast anything in its path. Zorro would be on version VI.

Workbench would be on version 8, boot up time would be 3 seconds flat, kickstart would be Mischa Barton holding a floppy disk for legacy applications (did I mention it would emulate old stuff too?). Then when she loads up the new generation apps she'd put some shades on and spin up the 100MB system partition (yes, workbench wouldn't be full of bloat but useful things instead)....

The xbox360/ps3 would be as useful as an Atari Lynx and the world would be a better place to live in.

Amiga means 'revolution' and the x1000 doesn't. But each to their own! That's 2 sales worldwide so far!
Old 05 September 2010, 16:50   #60
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
probably being powered by an 8-core Intel processor
A Wintel in an Amiga No thanks Intel outside, please.