English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 March 2007, 18:35   #41
superBuster
superFreak

Send a message via AIM to superBuster
[quote=Shamino]
Indeed I can, I just need to run 1 piece of software which is currently only available for Linux, so I have no choice but to install it and waste many hundreds of megabytes of hard disk space (sigh).

You do have options, if you had the skill you could write that code forthe amiga.....

" waste many hundreds of megabytes of hard disk space"

hard drives are cheep.
Old 21 March 2007, 19:40   #42
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superBuster
I must admit I don't do much audio.... graphics only. 3d animaiton (maya houdini) true while the UAE started on unix it;s not as good as winuae at this point. I tend to write my own tools on linux form time to time.
Any linux audio gurus out there?
Maya was bought out by Silicon Graphics, which had IRIX Unix. Even when I had a SGI Indigo2, the audio editor that came w/ it was okay, not spectacular.
Old 21 March 2007, 21:36   #43
Ultron
Something

Quote:
hard drives are cheep.
Not having to buy them because of bloated OS's is even cheaper.

I'm running 600gigs on the one i'm writting from, but for the real reason people should buy HD's: Tons and tons of .
Old 21 March 2007, 22:52   #44
superBuster
superFreak

Send a message via AIM to superBuster
LOL, yes sure... however linux is not bloated, people that asy think it is have a limited understanding of operation systems. QNX is an exaple of a small linux kernal.

ahh prorn.... if windows where not so prone to virus attacts, windows would be a great way to download .... as it stands I would not download anything using a microsoft product. (maybe form the zone)
Old 21 March 2007, 23:22   #45
ant512

Quote:
LOL, yes sure... however linux is not bloated, people that asy think it is have a limited understanding of operation systems. QNX is an exaple of a small linux kernal.
QNX is a closed-source, microkernel-based operating system. The kernel itself is (I believe) called "Neutrino". Apart from being POSIX-compliant, it has absolutely nothing to do with Linux (which is an open-source, monolithic kernel).
Old 21 March 2007, 23:26   #46
spiff
Oh noes!

Xbox, the new Amiga
  • Active scene, both piracy and homebrew/PD
  • Plays all the games, installing is copying the files to the harddrive
  • Cheap
  • Specialized hardware
  • Can do a lot with limited resources
  • Plays any audio/video format that fits on a DVD
  • A new version with better hardware is out, backwards compatibility requires some patching
  • Gets a lot of multi platform conversions that look bad because another “computer” with crap gfx has a larger install base

Last edited by spiff; 21 March 2007 at 23:34.
Old 21 March 2007, 23:58   #47
HCF
Zone Friend

Linux is more like the Atari ST (the users kept claiming the ST is superior to the Amiga)...lol The Amiga was the best computer at the time in its price class due to the custom chip hardware (even better than some more expensive PC compatibles running at twice the clock speed). Actually the Transformer was able to emulate a PC. Linux was at no time the best at anything, period. The author is a self-proclaimed fan boy and lost all credibility after making that statement. If he was a fan boy, he would know that in the 90s the PC began to surpass the Amiga in every aspect.

And while I have been with the Amiga for a long time, I never encountered conspiracy theories other than Commodore's complete lack of competence....
Old 22 March 2007, 01:12   #48
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Having read through the thread now......

Vista can still execute some programs made for DOS v1. Which makes Vista in a way, "based on Q/DOS." However, NT 3.1 (First NT version) contained code which was like 75% ripped from the OS/2 project MicroSoft developed together with IBM. And frankly... NOTHING MicroSoft have ever released, has been their own idea. it's either been a complete ripoff of someone else's idea (and they've sued said someone else afterwards) or they have simply bought out a compnay that had a good idea.

There. Linux..... mr Linus Torvalds (former neighbour of Tony Wilen.... who may or may not be a familiar name around these boards :P (neighbour as in, also from Finnland )) fancied making an OS-kernel just to see how hard it would be. Later on, the GNU project became interested in his kernel and proposed he made it somewhat UNIX-ish so they could make a bundle of "a completely independent UNIX clone." The rest is history. GNU/Linux, which is the full name, is a complete OS solution, free of ALL ties to ANY other Operating Systems.

Wanna know what MicroSofts "WindowsUpdate" server runs on? Nopes, NOT Windows Server, but GNU/Linux... Slackware, if I'm not horribly mistaken. Simply because the Slackware distro of GNU/Linux is the fastest and most stable OS they could find.

Tells you something, doesn't it? MicroSoft doesn't use Windows for anything. They use UNIX or GNU/Linux in one way or another for absolutely everything. Only got one single "standard PC" on which they try their test builds. When not even MicroSoft trust their own system to be good enough to work with, I kinda doubt the system is good enough for anyone else.

So..... Among the GNU/Linux users I've come across..... if you open a question with "I don't know how to code, but there's such and such problems ....." they all jump and push eachother aside to help you out. At least, that's MY experience. Which is more or less excactly the same experience I had in the Amiga community
Old 22 March 2007, 01:39   #49
mabus
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis

I don’t think that Vista will influence much number of Linux users.

Real place to influence that number would be Linux itself as to standardize and make it easy for average Joe to install and use Linux.

That’s why everyone should use FreeBSD. (Standard UNIX system )
I agree, Vista won't influence anything as people will run it by default (after all, they've already paid the Microsoft Tax). Most "average Joes" doesn't have a clue. When I was doing support for Windows based networks I was sometimes amazed at how ignorant the average user is, a lot of people don't even know how to install software or even do basic things in a word processor. The only reason they use Windows is because it's what was installed when they started using their computer, and it may even be that they *expect* the environment to be Windows since for years now Windows has been running on most PC's.

Personally I am not too bothered whether people use *BSD or Linux based systems, as long as the underlying philosophy is that the sourcecode should be available for scrutiny.

BSD/Linux is already becoming "standardised" in that there is a choice of two common desktop environments etc (KDE and Gnome). These are part of almost every distribution. Some distros of Linux, like Ubuntu or Knoppix are getting really good at "plug and play" - and can run on most hardware even without installing to HD. I think there is a future for BSD and Linux (and all other open initiatives).

In a way it would be sad if computing became to homogenous, even if only Amiga existed today (hypothetically).
Old 22 March 2007, 01:49   #50
mabus
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie
Wanna know what MicroSofts "WindowsUpdate" server runs on? Nopes, NOT Windows Server, but GNU/Linux... Slackware, if I'm not horribly mistaken. Simply because the Slackware distro of GNU/Linux is the fastest and most stable OS they could find.
Hei Nordmann...

I'd think they'd run it on a serverfarm the size of at least a Class C network in IPv4 running Windows Server 2003 machines each with 16GB (at least) of RAM

I run Slackware myself, have done so for 10 years or so - mostly because my computer is so old - but also because I like the fact that it's easy to move my system from disk to disk and to do disaster recoveries... I mostly operate from a laptop so loads of stuff can happen!
Old 22 March 2007, 03:31   #51
rbelk
an old bsd'er

Send a message via AIM to rbelk Send a message via Yahoo to rbelk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant512
QNX is a closed-source, microkernel-based operating system. The kernel itself is (I believe) called "Neutrino". Apart from being POSIX-compliant, it has absolutely nothing to do with Linux (which is an open-source, monolithic kernel).
Thanks, ant512. I was about to explode!!
Old 22 March 2007, 03:39   #52
rbelk
an old bsd'er

Send a message via AIM to rbelk Send a message via Yahoo to rbelk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus
In a way it would be sad if computing became to homogenous, even if only Amiga existed today (hypothetically).
Mabus I actually agree with you on this but Big Bully Top Dog Microsoft has just about ruined the computer industry and the US government. A lot of people don't believe me about the government part but they, Microsoft, have threatened our government and many foreign governments into allowing them to do just about anything.

When a company, any type of company, can force any country into doing things their way. Something is very very wrong..........
Old 22 March 2007, 10:08   #53
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
Mabus I actually agree with you on this but Big Bully Top Dog Microsoft has just about ruined the computer industry and the US government. A lot of people don't believe me about the government part but they, Microsoft, have threatened our government and many foreign governments into allowing them to do just about anything.
And THAT is why EU is now demanding to see EVERY last piece of documentation for MicroSoft Windows. Even the reputedly "secret API" MS allegedly is using themselves, and gives to noone else.

Go EU
Old 22 March 2007, 10:13   #54
Shamino

Quote:
You do have options, if you had the skill you could write that code forthe amiga.....
Funny you should say that, actually. I want to run it to determine its exact behaviour so that I can port it to the Amiga.

Quote:
hard drives are cheep.
That's no excuse for bloated code. Why waste lots of HD space on an OS, that means you can store less movies, games, songs, apps, etc. This kind of "who cares" thinking is the reason Vista needs 1GB RAM...
Old 22 March 2007, 12:07   #55
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelk
When a company, any type of company, can force any country into doing things their way. Something is very very wrong..........
That much is seriously true.

I believe citizen democratic representative influence on the US government to have been completely broken. I don't think the EU is far behind, particularly if the EU\Constitution\Legalization goes ahead - Which thankfully, already some voting members put a stop at.

I wonder if some governments are going to try and legalize the EU outside the referendums as had previously been promised. The USA-fication of the EU or European space will result on the creation of a Corporatocracy, or Financial Plutocracy, which will have the possibility of individual citizen republican representative democratic influence totally destroyed.

At this point the USA federal government can even be bought into war by lobbying - see AIPAC.
Old 22 March 2007, 12:13   #56
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Old 27 March 2007, 20:11   #57
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelk
And just in case you didn't know it Windows NT-to-Vista is based on the VMS internal code base which is poorly written.

Sorry about getting on a soap box but sometimes OS threads kinda get to me. So please don't ban me, I'm just a little
VMS -> WNT... It's a kind of in-joke. Whose code was 'borrowed' to make our shiny 'new' OS? What's the next letter of the alphabet? That's what we'll call it!

FWIW: This kind of OS stuff can get under my skin too.