English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 May 2017, 23:40   #1
Glen M

rgb interference after installing idefix

Tonight I installed my idefix and routed an ide cable out through the case to a cdrom drive. When the drive it powered on and connected to the ide ribbon I'm getting terrible interference on the video signal with lines scrolling vertically in the screen. If I pull out the ide cable the problem goes away. I've tried shielding the cable with some tinfoil (All I have to hand right now) but it makes no difference. Same problem persists when I try a ide hdd rather than the cdrom.

Any suggestions on how to cure it?
Old 24 May 2017, 00:06   #2
Daedalus

Hmmm, first guess would be that there's a power issue - how are the drives you connect powered?
Old 24 May 2017, 00:16   #3
Glen M

The cdrom is powered externally. Would I be better trying to power it from the amiga? My thought was trying to not put to much load on the amiga psu.

Edit. I'm wondering if the cdrom drive is causing interference on old caps? All the caps that need replacing are in the area.of the rgb port. Recapping is on my list but I wonder if this is a sign of possible failure?
Old 24 May 2017, 00:24   #4
Daedalus

No, you're doing it right, but that rules my theory out regarding the power. A stressed power supply can introduce ripples and sags on the 5V line which often show up as noise in the video, but that won't be the case here. Possibly digital interference from the IDE cable running near the video components, or I have a vague recollection of there being issues with some A1200s that caused video noise when certain things happened - I thought that was the floppy though!

Anyway, does it help to route the IDE cable away from the chips on the motherboard? The video encoder is to the left of the IDE port so your cable might be running directly over it.
Old 24 May 2017, 00:28   #5
Glen M

The idefix is sitting directly over it but lifting it vertical doesn't affect the noise on the screen. I'll try a longer ide cable and try to move the idefix. Further from the board.

I wonder if it could be a ripple current coming from the cheap Molex psu I got on ebay. It and the amiga both plugged into the same extension lead. Unlikely but might be worth a try using a different wall socket.
Old 24 May 2017, 00:41   #6
Daedalus

If there's no effect at all from moving the IDEFix board around and away from the motherboard, then a longer cable is unlikely to help. The PSU could still be causing it I guess, but I just don't think it's that likely since there won't really be much more of a power draw when the drive isn't powered from the same supply. Is the noise constant or just when the drive is accessed? Any chance of a video of the interference?
Old 24 May 2017, 00:56   #7
Glen M

It'll be tomorrow night before I could get a video done. It's like a rolling bar of noise. Drive access etc doesn't seem to affect it.

I'll have a play with some ideas tomorrow. The noise was worse when I connected the ide hdd so I'll maybe try another cdrom drive too just to see if it helps. I'll also try a composite video connection to see if it too shows interference. I could always pull the side off my pc and power the cdrom drive from it's atx psu which should elimate any doubts about power.
Old 24 May 2017, 12:32   #8
Glen M

A couple of screen shots of the interference. I will try to get a video uploaded later and also report back on my tests.

Its easist to see when she first boots. The lines scroll vertically.

And just for completeness a pic of were the IDEFix board is located and the direction of the ribbon cables.
Old 24 May 2017, 20:13   #9
Glen M

I've fixed it, well sort of fixed it.

The problem was indeed power. If I plug the monitor (of all things) into a different socket all goes back to normal. The bad thing though as wgere the amiga is located I only have 1 single socket so a rethink of the room is in order.
Old 24 May 2017, 21:00   #10
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
I used to have a similar issue when using a scandex scandoubler. I would have a barely visible blue streaks running horizontally through the middle of the screen. I was able to minimise it by adding a grounding wire from the vga port to the amiga shielding. Not completely gone, but it helped.
Old 24 May 2017, 21:54   #11
Daedalus

Wow, well it sounds like a grounding issue of some sort so. What might help is to use a good mains noise suppressing extension cord for one of the parts. The monitor might be producing a lot of noise due to the power supply or backlight inverter, and if your sockets or the plugs are old it might not be grounding properly either.