Ex nihilo nihil

Congratulations!
It proves that you are doing a good and great job
Old 27 August 2019, 13:21   #104
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
We've hit over 13 million views on IRN! and this is all thanks to the Amiga community!

And how many million of those was you sitting down of an evening wacking the F5 key?

Seriously though, well done. Great site, hope it continues to grow.
Old 27 August 2019, 20:20   #105
rare_j
Zone Friend

It's a great site, I visit it often, well done.
Old 28 August 2019, 20:25   #106
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
And how many million of those was you sitting down of an evening wacking the F5 key?

Seriously though, well done. Great site, hope it continues to grow.
My F5 key has worn away

Cheers guys, much appreciated as always
Old 11 October 2019, 12:23   #107
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Amazing gift from McGeezer and team! Rygar Aga! Only 10 Amiga game boxes ever made! So happy!

Old 11 October 2019, 12:35   #108
viddi

Wow! Really cool. You deserve it, mate.
Old 11 October 2019, 18:01   #109
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi View Post
Wow! Really cool. You deserve it, mate.
Aww thanks man!
Old 11 October 2019, 19:01   #110
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Make sure you take cover shots (front and back) for HOL.
Old 17 February 2020, 00:12   #111
DamienD
Banned

Neil; I have to say this to you.

I visit your site say every few days... over the past few months or so, I've notice that with any new articles you put up where the information has clearly come from EAB; you never link to / credit this forum as the source...

Recent example here, which is a straight copy of details from the original EAB thread, it wasn't posted anywhere else:
http://www.indieretronews.com/2020/0...orks.html#more
...I could link to another 5 - 10 articles.

IMHO this stinks... whatever your personal problem with EAB (not really sure what this is though), this is not right.

Your scouts use EAB as their main Amiga news source all the time

Sure, use news / information from EAB in your articles, but at least have the decency to mention where this information came from
Old 17 February 2020, 13:08   #112
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I do like IRN - notice my sig - but I have to agree with Damien...

A straight copy is a copyright breach without a credit to the original story/content - I recall being told this by a Copyright Barrister who did some work for me

I hope Neil fixes this going forward
Old 18 February 2020, 00:30   #113
DamienD
Banned

Neil, you do realise that I can still read your edited post? I read it today whilst at work, but couldn't invest the time to reply properly...

So, please let me respond now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
Edit : Actually I wont stoop down to that level, however shit I was treated on this forum with demands and the constant barrage of rolling eyes... I'll mention EAB from now on when I'm able too, but this will be my last post ever on EAB. I think this is for the best.
Neil,

Firstly let me just say that I love Indie Retro News, have nothing against you personally, and consider you a friend.

If I didn't then the following definitely wouldn't have occurred:
a) Donate a decent amount to your website because I support you, and wanted to.
b) Assist you with numerous .HDFs when requested; one example here.
c) Provide you will access to my 15+ year project and have given you constant "Update Packs" over the past 2+ years.

So, now thoughts on all this. I'll be totally honest, as I always am

For me, your whole boycott of EAB stems from two main things (please let us know if there are other reasons):
a) Your banning:
This was a mistake by another GMod probably 2 - 3 years ago now. To be fair though, you had been warned numerous times about posting individual threads on EAB linking to your "Indie Retro News" arcticles. All other people like "Amiga Future" etc. have the same rules applied, so you were not being singled out.

Ok, a ban wasn't totally necessary, even though you ignored repeated PMs from numerous GMods...

Yet I was instrumental in getting this reversed

Problem is, you keep bringing this up time and time again; and won't let it go... I'm not sure what EAB / the Admin / GMods can do that we already haven't; besides reversing the above and apologising publically, which was done?

At the end of the day you are not in your 20's or even 30's; you're a 40+ year old adult and need to move on with this...

b) The "Amiten" debacle:
Yup, this whole thing got quite heated / ugly... but it needed to.

It's not ok to sit back and let a scammer like Amiten continue for years selling his half-baked / mediocre demos and crap games at extortionate prices; while ripping off stuff from everywhere he could, without credit... not to mention strict notes from these sites where the images were taken from i.e. no commercial use allowed what-so-ever.

Even more promote his rubbish; which is what Indie Retro News was doing. Despite the above...

It needed to be brought to the Amiga community's attention!!!

Do you think it's better if this type of immoral behaviour continued; which only brings down the Amiga community as a whole? Should this have been left as was and everyone just turn a blind eye? Hell no...

Ok yes, some of this spilled over to Indie Retro News... but trust me, I had to deal with most of the shit here

So, let's now go back to the point that I posted last night.

All of the above is not an adequate reason to boycott EAB, plus not mention the main source of virtually all your new Amiga games articles.

That's totally unacceptable; and you as a responsible "Retro Games" blogger should know better.

Let me make this absolutely clear to you and your scouts; you don't have any agreement with EAB to nick news from here and use on your website!!!

Again though, we at EAB have no problem with this, as long as you mention the original source... as many other Amiga forums do when they post news found here.

Now, let's be mature adults and please move on?

...if you don't want to post on here any more then that's totally your call, but quite immature IMHO...

However, I do expect that going forward you mention EAB in anything that you / or your scouts take from here

I hardly think that this is being unreasonable now is it?

Last edited by DamienD; 18 February 2020 at 02:35.
Old 25 February 2020, 00:46   #114
DamienD
Banned

<sigh>

Neil; I'm sorry but I need to ask this question regarding one of your latest articles here: DOOM - Could a "Doom" clone run on a 7MHz Amiga 500 with 1MB of RAM?

Can you please tell me where your scouts got this information from?

...I've spoken with KK/Altair, so know exactly where this was posted prior to your article.

To me, it seems again that this news was lifted from the following EAB thread, but as per, without any credit to the original source of the information: new amiga 500 doom like !

If this is true, then again that's really poor form... especially considering I only brought up this point a week ago.

Saying "As thanks to a heads up from Per Ola" or indeed "Saberwolf" doesn't really cut it here, sorry.

My point is not really only about information that you *cough* use from EAB without permission, but for any websites that you / your scouts grab stuff from... as a responsible site admin, you should always mention the original source.

It's only fair, and what most Retro bloggers / other forums would do automatically

Looking forward to your reply; but sadly I guess you'll ignore like my post above this one
Old 12 March 2020, 20:25   #115
DamienD
Banned

http://www.indieretronews.com/2020/0...amonds-in.html

<sigh>

Another classic example of information taken from an EAB thread, yet the source credited to the download link on Aminet
Old 13 March 2020, 10:59   #116
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Neil, you really should fix this. It doesn't make anyone look good and its disrespecting the EAB community. I'm very disappointed and I've been a long time and vocal supporting of IRN (hence my sig). Please sort it!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Old 14 March 2020, 02:26   #117
kriz

Yeah i Have also spoken for IRN, but this is just rude.. Maybe now I start to understand what happened some time ago when there were some issues about articles and some people got offended, seems like you want take credit for a lot of news and not giving proper credit ..
Old 14 March 2020, 03:06   #118
earok

I wasn't going to get involved. Honestly, there's a thousand things more important in this world than Amiga scene politics, and I wasted emotional energy over the last flare up, but I felt there needed to be some balance and perspective. So I'm going to share this, unsubscribe from the thread, and not take any further part in it.

Firstly, this is the day and age of social media. People that like things are going to share them on their social media feeds. If someone posts a link on EAB to a YouTube video or an Aminet page, and other people like it, those people are likely to share the YouTube video or the Aminet page rather than the thread. It's also possible they may have seen it through another forum or subscriptions first.

Secondly, there's numerous retro or Amiga groups on Facebook, and one of the largest Amiga groups (Commodore Amiga, 23,069 members) is administered by Neil himself. If people are talking about something in the Amiga scene, Neil will see it.

Thirdly, in the example of Dread at least, that appears to be exactly what happened. Per-Ola saw a public posting by another Facebook user, told IRN about it, and then there was a story created.

My two cents is this:

- If the text only on EAB was copied/paraphrased and pasted on the IRN story without a link, then sure - absolutely that isn't fair.
- But if it's merely linking to a public link that could have been and probably was shared on social media, it's not reasonable to assume anyone from IRN saw it here first (presumption of innocence).

Edit:
- Neil confirmed to me with screenshots that the Dread story indeed came from Per-Ola showing him the YouTube video.
- He also confirmed to me with screenshots that the Red Pill Puzzle story came from Per-Ola and another source sharing the Saberman YouTube video with him.
- He also confirmed to me that, as with Tapper, he continues to link EAB when EAB actually is the source of his information.
- Finally, he opined (and I agree) that he constantly receives criticism - who he posts about or doesn't post about, what games he does or doesn't post about, what links he does or doesn't include, and he's left to receive the beatup with little support. He will be falsely accused of stealing information from EAB, but not recognized when he posts the link to EAB when it was his actual source.

Last edited by earok; 14 March 2020 at 03:37.
Old 14 March 2020, 11:41   #119
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

My 5 cents about this:
I am a huge fan of Indieretronews, and I am happy that they cover my game.
Personally, I don't really care where they get their information from, as long as it's accurate.

But let's say, I posted something here and they take this information and make a news post about this (which I appreciate).

Damien, why do you really care then that the information was taken from an EAB post? I mean, in the end it's content that I created as a EAB user. Don't mistake me here, I really like the EAB, but it's not like the forum or its mods created the content. It's its users that do.

So, I don't quite get your line of reasoning here or why you are upset, to be honest...
Old 14 March 2020, 11:47   #120
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
My 5 cents about this:
I am a huge fan of Indieretronews, and I am happy that they cover my game.
Personally, I don't really care where they get their information from, as long as it's accurate.

But let's say, I posted something here and they take this information and make a news post about this (which I appreciate).

Damien, why do you really care then that the information was taken from an EAB post? I mean, in the end it's content that I created as a EAB user. Don't mistake me here, I really like the EAB, but it's not like the forum or its mods created the content. It's its users that do.

So, I don't quite get your line of reasoning here or why you are upset, to be honest...
Your looking at this from a purely personal perspective; as IRN promotes your game

Tell me, does EAB not do the same? Not to mention that EAB members help you improve your game; be it feedback or coding help from ross...

Does having your game posted on IRN do this for you? Nope!!!

I really hate repeating myself but need to here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Sure, use news / information from EAB in your articles, but at least have the decency to mention where this information came from
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
My point is not really only about information that you *cough* use from EAB without permission, but for any websites that you / your scouts grab stuff from... as a responsible site admin, you should always mention the original source.

It's only fair, and what most Retro bloggers / other forums would do automatically
It's about principle; if I was to take information from somewhere and post on my blog, I would always mention the original source

Even more so when it's a line for line copy of text from somewhere.

This is what most Retro bloggers / other forums would do automatically when they take news from EAB

I hardly think this is asking too much is it now?

Last edited by DamienD; 14 March 2020 at 13:05.