English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 August 2011, 19:51   #1
psodas

GVP 040 Start up Sequence problem

Hello to all.

I have an Amiga 2000 with g-force 040 combo at 16Mb fast ram and also a cybervision64/3D. All work perfect in my OS3.9 with boings 1 & 2.
Wanting to get the best from my accelerator I try to install the disk who came with it, from GVP. During the installation I choose the expert user and not install the “SetPatch command” and the “new CPU command” because are earlier versions from this who come with OS3.9.
At the end of installation the program write to the end of user startup sequence file the above lines..

;BEGIN 68040_FastRoM
sys:utilities/GVPCPUCtrl FastROM MoveSSP
;END 68040_FastROM

;BEGIN SetDevice
run >nil: c:SetDevice
;END SetDevice

Now when I reboot, Amiga hung. Also if I move these lines in the first line of startup sequence file (no user) again the amiga hung..... in reset mode now.
What can go so wrong? I know cause the first lines move the Kickstart in the fast memory of controller and reset the system supervisor stack pointer vectors to point to an area of 32-bit fast ram. The second lines I dont know what they do.

Can someone who has solved the problem to help? I believe if it work the accelerator going faster.

Thank you all.
Old 23 August 2011, 09:47   #2
roy bates

hi did the boing bag 2 update work with the fastrom utility.have you tried removing boing bag 2 to see if it works.

by the way i dont have a gvp 040,but boing bag 2 has rom updates that cause problems.with fastrom software.
Old 23 August 2011, 16:23   #3
psodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
hi did the boing bag 2 update work with the fastrom utility.have you tried removing boing bag 2 to see if it works.

by the way i dont have a gvp 040,but boing bag 2 has rom updates that cause problems.with fastrom software.

Hi Roy .
I will try it but I remember cause not install the rom updates at all. There is an option during the installation!
Old 24 August 2011, 15:08   #4
joeksterz

I have the same card and 3.9bb2 works fine for me. My config is a little different...
I do not use the movessp parameter. I think this is the source of all problems... on my config, I have 3.9bb2 in a custom kickstart and used a blizkick module to move all pointers to fast ram.
I also don't use the setdevice... what is this suppose to do anyways?
Old 24 August 2011, 19:31   #5
psodas

Hi joeksterz.
From the user manual of the card the "move ssp" is for reset the system supervisor stack pointer vectors to point to an area of 32-bit fast ram. In this area the processings going faster.

Anyway, is possible please to post the strings of your startup sequence to try also in mine? Something who I didnt know is cause the Blizkick work for GVP cards. I thought was only for Blizzard.
Old 24 August 2011, 20:53   #6
psodas

Thanks all for your help. The solution is above.

Add the lines first of all the other lines in “startup sequence” file.

;BEGIN 68040_FastROM
sys:utilities/GvpCPUCtrl FastROM
;END 68040_FastROM

Add the lines at the end of “user startup” file.

;BEGIN 68040_FastROM
sys:utilities/GvpCPUCtrl MoveSSP
;END 68040_FastROM

Ok after Reboot the Amiga. Next from a SHELL or CLI window type “cd utilities” and after “GvpCPUCtrl”, and you see the messages:
“The kickstart ROM has been mapped to $01F80000-$01FFFFFF” and “The system stack has been relocated at $011B8E8C-$011BA68B”. These address is in 32bit Fast Ram of controller.

The command “SetDevice” who suppose is to load in the 32bit fast ram the parallel and serial devices of the accelerator card dont need at all!

If you run SysInfo program and click at the upper left corner until the Tag show “Devices” you will see at the bottom cause the “gvppar” and “gvpser” is autoloaded in 32Bit FastRam also. In my case the parallel and serial drivers was the version 1.7 just for info.
Also in the Tag “Ports” you can see again the “FastROM” and “MoveSSP” loaded at 32 Bit ram.

Thats all, after that the OS3.9 1 & 2 boinged run perfectly.

Last edited by psodas; 24 August 2011 at 21:10.