English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 18 January 2009, 01:33   #81
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi BlueAchenar,

Before I test the new version, here is a quick report of what happened with the previous one, FWIW:

When I first ran the program, after copying it to my HD, it froze the system once more. But then I noticed that I had left my 720k PC-formatted disk in the floppy drive instead of replacing it with the Amiga-formatted one.

So, after I had removed the PC floppy disk and reset the Amiga, I put the Amiga-formatted floppy in and tried again...

This time it actually got further than before and printed out "reading from track xxx" or something similar, then up popped a requester asking me to wait for disk activity to finish, and then the machine appeared to reboot.
Next, a Guru screen appeared and mentioned a software failure, but this disappeared before I was able to note down the code. And then finally, the machine did reboot. But there was still no image file created.

These events happened quite quickly, so I wasn't able to not down anything of much value.
Old 18 January 2009, 01:35   #82
BlueAchenar
Not dead yet!!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi BlueAchenar,

Before I test the new version, here is a quick report of what happened with the previous one, FWIW:

When I first ran the program, after copying it to my HD, it froze the system once more. But then I noticed that I had left my 720k PC-formatted disk in the floppy drive instead of replacing it with the Amiga-formatted one.

So, after I had removed the PC floppy disk and reset the Amiga, I put the Amiga-formatted floppy in and tried again...

This time it actually got further than before and printed out "reading from track xxx" or something similar, then up popped a requester asking me to wait for disk activity to finish, and then the machine appeared to reboot.
Next, a Guru screen appeared and mentioned a software failure, but this disappeared before I was able to note down the code. And then finally, the machine did reboot. But there was still no image file created.

These events happened quite quickly, so I wasn't able to not down anything of much value.
As I thought. The OS is interfering.
Old 18 January 2009, 01:46   #83
prowler
Global Moderator

The latest version behaves in exactly the same way as the last version, except that it might just get a little bit further before the requester pops up. The two choices offered by the requester are 'suspend' and 'reboot', but before I get a chance to click on 'suspend' to write down what has happened so far, the machine appears to reboot anyway, before the Guru screen appears, and then it actually does reboot.
Old 18 January 2009, 01:55   #84
BlueAchenar

Quote:
The latest version behaves in exactly the same way as the last version, except that it might just get a little bit further before the requester pops up. The two choices offered by the requester are 'suspend' and 'reboot', but before I get a chance to click on 'suspend' to write down what has happened so far, the machine appears to reboot anyway, before the Guru screen appears, and then it actually does reboot.
You're getting farther than me it seems. Here it gets stuck at reading. It's maybe because my drive is a Panasonic.

The good news is. You have already successfully read track zero and the program succeeded in slowing the drive to 150RPM.

New one. This one uses color codes for debugging. I'm searching for my USB<->CF Adapter to test it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bawarp.zip (8.5 KB, 134 views)
Old 18 January 2009, 02:15   #85
prowler
Global Moderator

Sorry, this version behaves in just the same way as the last. Unfortunately, it is impossible to click the 'suspend' button on the requester, because the mouse already does not respond at this point. There does actually seem to be two extra lines of type which appear after the "moving head to track 0" line - one which says "reading track xxx" or some such thing, and then another line which mentions heads or tracks or sectors possibly and the number 81 (???) - I'm really only guessing, it all happens so fast.

More good news. My machine seems to be able to recover better from these crashes or reboots now. With the earlier versions I had the impression that my FDC hadn't fully recovered from the experience when I reset the Amiga. It really is getting better in some ways at least...
Old 18 January 2009, 02:18   #86
BlueAchenar

Quote:
Sorry, this version behaves in just the same way as the last. Unfortunately, it is impossible to click the 'suspend' button on the requester, because the mouse already does not respond at this point. There does actually seem to be two extra lines of type which appear after the "moving head to track 0" line - one which says "reading track xxx" or some such thing, and then another line which mentions heads or tracks or sectors possibly and the number 81 (???) - I'm really only guessing, it all happens so fast.

More good news. My machine seems to be able to recover better from these crashes or reboots now. With the earlier versions I had the impression that my FDC hadn't fully recovered from the experience when I reset the Amiga. It really is getting better in some ways at least...
I got mine to behave the same as yours. I'm working on it.
Old 18 January 2009, 02:43   #87
BlueAchenar

Looks like the compiler is doing stuff it shouldn't in the CIAA interrupt handler. That's why the program crashes. How do I exactly fix that, I don't know.
Old 18 January 2009, 04:54   #88
BlueAchenar

The only way I got the program not to crash was to leave the OS on. Not surprisingly it is giving absurd RPM speeds (< 40), due to multitasking.
Old 18 January 2009, 05:20   #89
BlueAchenar

New version. Attempts to completely kill the OS while reading. It's time to get some sleep for me.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bawarp.zip (8.6 KB, 143 views)
Old 18 January 2009, 14:56   #90
BlueAchenar

I'm doing what I should have done from the start. Moving the motor control routines to a new program and testing only those.
Old 18 January 2009, 15:07   #91
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi BlueAchenar, I'm back again!

While your'e testing the motor control routines, I'll download the latest version of BAWarp above and give it a test...

Let's hope for some better luck today.
Old 18 January 2009, 15:08   #92
BlueAchenar

Quote:
Hi BlueAchenar, I'm back again!

While your'e testing the motor control routines, I'll download the latest version of BAWarp above and give it a test...

Let's hope for some better luck today.
I've tested it. Same problem. I probably need to resource X-Copy or something and see how come that doesn't crash.
Old 18 January 2009, 15:14   #93
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAchenar View Post
I've tested it. Same problem. I probably need to resource X-Copy or something and see how come that doesn't crash.
OK. Well, I'll see what I can do to find out exactly what's being output to the screen before the program crashes. I think I'll have to take pictures of the TV screen to achieve this. Maximum resolution is 10Mpx - that should let me see the detail!

See you later...
Old 18 January 2009, 15:30   #94
BlueAchenar

Quote:
OK. Well, I'll see what I can do to find out exactly what's being output to the screen before the program crashes. I think I'll have to take pictures of the TV screen to achieve this. Maximum resolution is 10Mpx - that should let me see the detail!

See you later...
Don't bother. I know what it is.
Old 18 January 2009, 15:44   #95
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Don't bother. I know what it is.
I've heard all this before, mate!

No, seriously, I'm going to try it anyway. When the dinner table is cleared, I'll get the Miggy fired up and capturing those screenshots will give me something else to do with it. (Remember, I'm still testing this new machine. )

Plus, I'm interested myself in what's being missed on the screen...
Old 18 January 2009, 15:57   #96
BlueAchenar

Ok. This one attempts only to regulate motor speed which is the vital part of the imager. If this part works correctly everything else will.
If it doesn't crash, you should see the motor light blinking as the program adjusts the motor speed. If it is successful at this it will tell you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bapwm.zip (5.2 KB, 130 views)
Old 18 January 2009, 16:51   #97
prowler
Global Moderator

Bad news: my camera battery's flat. I've put it on charge.

Quote:
Ok. This one attempts only to regulate motor speed which is the vital part of the imager. If this part works correctly everything else will.
If it doesn't crash, you should see the motor light blinking as the program adjusts the motor speed. If it is successful at this it will tell you.
In the meantime, I'll test the motor speed regulator routines instead...
Old 18 January 2009, 17:11   #98
prowler
Global Moderator

Ok, I've tried the bapwm program using the CLI, with the following result:

Quote:
BAPWM by Blue Achenar (Jan 2009)
(Attempts to stabilize the floppy drive's motor at a given speed using PWM)

Attempting motor speed regulation:
The floppy drive LED does not indicate floppy drive activity at all, and the machine freezes.
Old 18 January 2009, 19:21   #99
BlueAchenar

Quote:
Ok, I've tried the bapwm program using the CLI, with the following result:

The floppy drive LED does not indicate floppy drive activity at all, and the machine freezes.
At least it didn't crash with a requester poping up.
Old 18 January 2009, 19:29   #100
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

I remember Rich Aplin doing the same for Cyclone years ago. Did never work very well...