English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 October 2013, 23:39   #1
stu232
Utterly Lost....

Is there such a thing as a HVSC on the amiga?

I love my chiptunes, so I'm wondering if there are any bulk collective downloads of Amiga music as there is with the C64 and it's awesome HVSC.

I know there are plenty of places to download Amiga tunes individually but I'm looking for an entire catalogue of tunes.
Old 08 October 2013, 13:40   #2
onkelarie

Iirc, exotica and modland are the places to look. They even provide ftp access, well, at least one of them....
Old 08 October 2013, 20:51   #3
john1979

Also http://amp.dascene.net/

There's no one individual place. I tend to download every tune from amp and modland for a particular artist and remove the duplicates.
Old 08 October 2013, 23:33   #4
wXR

So HVSC for Amiga would be a good idea. And practical considering bandwidth and storage these days, too.
Old 09 October 2013, 07:17   #5
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
So HVSC for Amiga would be a good idea
But how would you define a HVSC for Amiga, MOD-tunes are also made on other platforms. So maybe rather a "HVSC for tracker music", which is pretty much what modland.com is trying to accomplish.

Having all tracker music in one single downloadable zip-file would be insane though
Old 09 October 2013, 11:22   #6
wXR

How about a single torrent instead? :-)

But that's the idea... modland is IMHO a pretty terrible way to explore; the interface and ease-of-downloading is awful. Maybe it could start as a kind of shared Dropbox or something, and the torrents could be assembled. Or we could just figure out how the TOSEC guys do it, and do it that way.
Old 09 October 2013, 12:01   #7
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
How about a single torrent instead? :-)
Well, counting just the ProTracker MOD-files, there's already over 30GB of tunes on modland. And I'm willing to guess it's far from complete (unlike the HVSC). And it still wouldn't be an Amiga collection
Old 09 October 2013, 13:13   #8
robinsonb5

One torrent per artist may be a better way to go.

Also, I'd say don't use zipfiles (or at least, no more than one module per zipfile) - otherwise there'll be a lot of unnecessary re-downloading any time an artist's collection is updated.
Old 09 October 2013, 14:26   #9
wXR

30GB is nothing. Neither is 60GB, assuming that much more for the exotics. A 120GB drive is $20-25 USD. It seems very possible to me.

The thing that I don't like about the "one torrent per artist" approach is that you end up getting very few seeds for obscure artists. And as the subject says ("HVSC for Amiga") the idea is to have the most complete collection possible.

EDIT: Is MODLAND's stuff compressed at all?
Old 09 October 2013, 14:41   #10
john1979

It would be nice if any such database could have more information about each module and be easy to filter.

Then I could simply filter by format (e.g. AHX for chiptunes) or MODs that are only 4 channel 8 bit, or by genre, or by artist. The current system of MODs spread around various preservation projects without detailed information is a mess.

Most are zipped, and often titled with the extension first. A nice database would let you filter how you like and download single or multiple non-zipped files titled properly for modern operating systems.

Such a project would be a huge undertaking and require modland, amp et all to actually collaborate. Probably not going to happen
Old 09 October 2013, 14:44   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
It would be nice if any such database could have more information about each module and be easy to filter.

Then I could simply filter by format (e.g. AHX for chiptunes) or MODs that are only 4 channel 8 bit, or by genre, or by artist.
http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Special:Modland ?
Old 09 October 2013, 15:53   #12
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
That combined with DownThemAll plugin could be almost everything I need. Only thing missing is ability to view all results on one page.

Thanks.

edit: It's still missing specifics like number of channels and genre but that's not too important.
Old 09 October 2013, 16:32   #13
Amiga1992

You don't exactly want to download all Modland. The archive is huge, and there's, seriously, way more material than you will ever hear, and if you do, 80% of it is crap.

This comes said from someone that took the ProTracker folder of Modland and heard it in its entirety. More than 6000 mods.

It's much better to just download what you like, when you need it. As a means to discover cool new music, you will discover indeed that there's too much crap

(Modland is organized by artist and by format. That's pretty much all you need. There's also music for MORE than just Amiga, like consoles and shit. I repeat, you don't want to download it all. But use an FTP client, not a web interface)
Old 09 October 2013, 16:44   #14
Leffmann

I have an index of Modland from 2011, and there were exactly 76113 Protracker mods at that time. Even with 20% or even only 10% being any good, it's a crazy amount.
Old 09 October 2013, 16:47   #15
Amiga1992

You are right. I guess I heard more than I thought :P
Current index on my hard drive gives out about 76.093 files.
But I did skip a lot of folders very easily, two tunes and you know they will all suck :P

I spent like 3 months listening to mod files to make my selections :/

And that's just the ProTracker folder.

Oh, from all I heard, I only selected 778 files. That's just 1%. I mean it when I say there's shit tons of crap modules in there.
Old 09 October 2013, 17:19   #16
wXR

TOSEC also bundles a bunch of crap together, and surely there is not a much higher percentage of "good" tunes in HVSC?

I thought we were talking about completeness?
Old 09 October 2013, 17:28   #17
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
You don't exactly want to download all Modland. The archive is huge, and there's, seriously, way more material than you will ever hear, and if you do, 80% of it is crap.
HVSC has the same problem. I'm listening to every single sid to weed out the ones worth putting in a favourites list. Got to the middle of C and I have about 50 listed out of several thousand listened.
Old 09 October 2013, 22:00   #18
Amiga1992

wXr, you are right. The completeness is almost there, however I do agree that a centralized, curated effort would be a great thing to have, as Modland doesn't have absolutely everything, some times AMP has some things Modland doesn't, and this stuff needs to be preserved. The HVSC team goes the extra mile in trying to find new shit to add to the collection, to fill blanks of information and whatnot. Also they are helped by SID being a unique format. In the case of the Amiga, there's no such a luxury, as it had a plethora of formats, making the whole ordeal a tad more complicated, even for the user who wants to listen.

But as "user", the difference is HVSC is ~300MB and Modland's PT folder is 10GB, and downloading it all might be a pain in the ass. Most people will just try to look for their favourites anyway, and in that case, I recommend just looking fr specifics instead of trawling through gigabytes of data and hours of your life trying to maybe discover something new and cool. There really isn't many.

The original poster just asked to "Download it all in bulk" and I always thought this is a horrible idea, for TOSEC too. I know from experience, as I have downloaded "full packs" and they have become an absolute waste of space and of my time.
Old 22 December 2019, 19:32   #19
chip

Old thread, but want to say something

It would be great to have a one big archive of Amiga music as point of reference

At the actual state it's a little mess since both AMP and modland are not complete

I know that Protracker modules could be non Amiga, but this is not a good reason to not have a single ALL IN ONE collection

And regarding to download the whole stuff (surely huge) that's an option, not mandatory

I sometimes thinked to do something like that, but it's really difficult

Someone have more will than me ?
Old 08 December 2023, 21:42   #20
Tundrah

Hi,

on this topic, I recently updated my Audacious UADE plugin (https://github.com/mvtiaine/audacious-uade) to include/combine meta data (Artist/Album/Publisher/Year) from Modland, UnExotica, Demozoo and AMP, based on MD5 checksums.

Here's couple of screenshots to show it in action.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 22.13.09.png
Views:	43
Size:	672.2 KB
ID:	80982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 22.15.48.png
Views:	34
Size:	649.2 KB
ID:	80983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 22.18.49.jpg
Views:	41