English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 27 August 2014, 18:06   #1
drdmgee

Keyboard Issue

I have a PC (laptop) with a UK keyboard and am trying to setup mappings so that the keys actually produce what it says on them. By default it behaves like a US keyboard, more or less. If I leave the emulated Amiga thinking it is a US keyboard then the following differences exist:

" and @ are swapped;
£ produces #;
\| key produces < and >;
#~ key produces \|.

I can get the \| key to work correctly by entering:
keyboard_key_less = action_key_backslash

The #~ key thinks it is the backslash but I haven't found a way of making it produce what it 'should'.

If I set the emulated Amiga to gb nationality in WB 1.3 and 2.1 the quotes and the @ key are correct, and so is the £, but I can no longer get the #. WB 3.1 doesn't seem to have a SetMap or SetKeys; using 'Locale' in prefs to set UK keyboard layout doesn't work.

Suggestions? If need be I can live without the £—especially since it can also be obtained through ALT-l, but would like the correct quotes and @ positioning, and I do need the #!

Old 29 August 2014, 11:57   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

FS-UAE emulates a physical Amiga keyboard. You can remap individual physical keys, but if symbols on one of your PC keys is found on two or more different keys on an Amiga laptop, you'll not be able to get a 1:1 mapping between symbols on your keyboard and symbols as seen by the Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdmgee View Post
I have a PC (laptop) with a UK keyboard and am trying to setup mappings so that the keys actually produce what it says on them. By default it behaves like a US keyboard, more or less. If I leave the emulated Amiga thinking it is a US keyboard then the following differences exist:

" and @ are swapped;
£ produces #;
\| key produces < and >;
#~ key produces \|.

I can get the \| key to work correctly by entering:

The #~ key thinks it is the backslash but I haven't found a way of making it produce what it 'should'.
If you compare these two images, you'll see that " and @ are infact correctly swapped:

UK PC keyboard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...ed_Kingdom.svg
US Amiga keyboard: http://www.amiga-games.com/img/AMIGA...0_25_large.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdmgee View Post
If I set the emulated Amiga to gb nationality in WB 1.3 and 2.1 the quotes and the @ key are correct, and so is the £, but I can no longer get the #. WB 3.1 doesn't seem to have a SetMap or SetKeys; using 'Locale' in prefs to set UK keyboard layout doesn't work.

Suggestions? If need be I can live without the £—especially since it can also be obtained through ALT-l, but would like the correct quotes and @ positioning, and I do need the #!
UK PC keyboard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...ed_Kingdom.svg
UK Amiga keyboard: http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.co...yboard_big.jpg

The # keys works, but if you refer to the images, you'll see that on Amiga ithe # symbol is on another physical key.

For WB 3.1, you use "Input" prefs to change keyboard layout.

If you want symbols to match up perfectly with your keyboard, you need to make stickers with the Amiga symbol combinations and stick them to your keys
Old 29 August 2014, 17:46   #3
drdmgee

Well, I've managed to get everything working with the exception of the 'backquote' key at the top left of the keyboard--and even then I can get the backquote by holding down alt and pressing that key or the single quote/@ key. Here are the lines I used:

keyboard_key_backslash = action_key_singlequote
keyboard_key_quote = action_key_backquote
keyboard_key_shift_backslash = action_key_backquote
keyboard_key_shift_quote = action_key_singlequote

The only thing is, the caps lock key has no effect.

Last edited by drdmgee; 29 August 2014 at 17:51. Reason: Additional information