English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 July 2005, 21:19   #21
Stig

PC resolution should be irrelevant indeed, although only when it matches the minimum required one for a software to run (obviosuly nothing to consider here...) but since he's having too much trouble and there doesn't seem to be an explanation for it, I thought it would be safe lowering it instead of increasing it, just in case it's something malfunctioning at driver levels.

As for the WinUAE and Workbench resolutions, they are just meant to keep image proportions in fullscreen.

Last edited by Stig; 23 July 2005 at 21:32.
Old 24 July 2005, 00:03   #22
PeterK

Picasso96 Problem

@Zetro

1.) Some remarks concerning the WinUAE properties: Display:
The screen dimensions, which you can choose there, are only
important for the PAL mode or the NTSC mode and anything
bigger than 800x600x16/32 is pretty useless there, in my opinion.

2.) As long as you select Fullscreen RTG, the Picasso Workbench
should never be dependant from the screensize of your Windows,
because it will open its own screen with the help of DirectX, I guess.

3.) Make sure, that there's no bootpic or anything else trying to
open a PAL/NTSC screen during boottime.

4.) Don't use Devs:Picasso96settings, because it can cause some
conflicts with WinUAE and it's really not needed and makes no sense.
So, you may have to rename or delete this file from Devs: and also
should delete Sys:Prefs/Picasso96Mode or at least NEVER use this.

5.) Check out, if the installed files: Devs:monitors/uaegfx + .info
are the original ones, which are supplied with WinUAE.

6.) Select your favourite Picasso96 screenmode from the ScreenPrefs
and test it before saving. Don't enable AutoScroll.

Hopefully, it helps...

Peter
Old 24 July 2005, 14:29   #23
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I appreciate you help guys,

just a couple of things to mention *that i thought i had * (but i had not it would seem)

the PC screen is native to 1280x1024 (much larger than the WB or win uea screen size)

however if you note winuae keeps reporting screen size to small for it..

I scoured the logging for winuea there are absolutely NO LOGS when this was happening it wasn`t logged not a bean or im pretty sure i could of figured it out, or we could of figged it out here in half the posts!!! LOL!!!

There are no boot screen for WB HDF, I believe personally if you want that... get a PC lol *hang on i have one emulating hmmmm*

I will update (Windoze) and try again a fresh install....

let you guys know how i got on..

tnx again

Z.
Old 25 July 2005, 07:28   #24
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I don't think I have ever seen a case where WinUAE didn't write out the standard boot log text file called winuaebootlog.txt, and as Toni said, it always writes that out to the same directory that WinUAE.exe is located in. Are you 100% sure that you're looking for it in the right place? Failing that, have you performed a search to see if a file by that name is lurking somewhere on your hard drive?
Old 25 July 2005, 11:54   #25
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

yes.....

EVERYWHERE

searched all drives *including the 2 network drives at the time for safe measure* for the following

winuaebootlog.txt ( the 2 found were from previous versions as V1.0 did not write a log )
to be sure i searched for *.log and *took 15 mins to complete where as *.txt offerd me the opportunity to watch an episode of CSI before it was complete lol...

at present i am blaming WinXP but i am having trouble ith the grounds of that as it is running WinUae0.9x super smoothly...

but hey, this is windows and nothing is for sure on windows.........

let me grab the opportunity to update this windoze behemoth and try again...

tnx for the advice, appreciate it.

l8rz

Z.
Old 26 July 2005, 19:03   #26
jmbattle

This chap is crazy...

James
Old 27 July 2005, 00:01   #27
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Searching for *.log by the way would be a completely pointless exercise, since (as stated before) the name of the file is winuaebootlog.txt, but if one merely wishes to keep ones PC busy doing something, it does serve that purpose I suppose. By the way, if you were not aware of it already, the default behavior of the search function in XP is rather flawed, as it has its own ideas about which files should be looked at when (for example) looking for all files containing a given string. It can be taught to behave like a proper search does, but that is not its default behavior.
Old 27 July 2005, 01:57   #28
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

at the time Chuckles... i had seriously no hair left.. and since EVERYONE was going on about log files.. *and YES I HAVE USED THEM BEFORE* THERE WAS NONE!!!!

tried *.txt just incase i missed it or winuae 1.0 had put them in another dir...

NOTHING!!!!!!

so at the time tried *.log

N O N E as in

NOT A BEAN

NOT A SAUSAGE

NO FECKING *.txt OR *.log for WINUAE 1.0

.... okay...

you got that..... ( I WILL SAY IT AGAIN ) WinUAE v1.0 DID NOT LOG.....

if it had of done (which i mentioned in a previous post i would posted it and we could all of solved in half the time.. )

WinUAE0.9xx is smooth and stable... i will try again another time...

p.s.

@James
.... remember sanity is reserved for those that cannot handle reality !!!!

p.p.s

WINUAE v1.0 DID NOT LOG IT FAULTS
(Your guess is as good as mine FYI permission are not the problem)...

sheeesh..........................

l8rs Z.
Old 27 July 2005, 04:09   #29
Stig

Try this, just to know if it's unable to write winuaelog.txt as well.
Old 27 July 2005, 04:35   #30
Chuckles
The Ancient One

A good suggestion. If it does, then it should also end up in the same directory as the executable, which would raise the question of why the normal boot log did not. I do know that 1.0 does write the boot log on my machine, so I would suspect that if for any reason it can't do so on his, then I'd certainly be curious about why it can't. I'm running under 98SE myself rather than XP, so I suppose that could have something to do with it, but I somehow doubt that everyone running XP is unable to get the boot log written out, or surely someone would have noticed that during beta testing already.

The main point of my previous reply though was simply to point out that the find function in XP was changed quite a bit from previous versions, and so it can fail to find files you'd expect it to find, even when you know that they are there. This is what Microsoft calls a "feature", and it can be fixed so that it will behave properly, but it won't do so after a fresh install of XP.
Old 27 July 2005, 14:34   #31
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Stig
sounds like a plan i must admit i didn`t even get to check that bit (illegal memadr) when i had WinUAE1.0 installed...

so when i get round to trying it out i will let you know how i got on....

@Chuckles
sheesh 98se... well it takes all sorts (I remember those heady days of 98 *Special Edition* reboots a day ).

I understand it is some what uncommon for WinUAE1.0 not to have logs but this

a) does not mean i am a noob and cant open directories
b) not intellegent enough to work through a log
c) not equiped enough to post a log if i had one.

makes me wonder how i got my computing degree(s)..... ahhh that will be either
(a) my yummy good looks
(b) willingness to sleep my way to the top
or
(c) all of the above

anyways appreciate the help and thoughts.

let you know how i got on...
l8rs Z.
Old 27 July 2005, 16:07   #32
Chuckles
The Ancient One

One begins to get the impression that you're a bit defensive, which seems needless to me. I've never suggested that you were a "noob" or that you lacked reasoning skills, etc., so there is no need to begin citing your qualifications, nor will I bore you with mine. I merely point out that if 1.0 were unable to write a boot log on the average beta tester's system, then it would surely have been pointed out by several folks, and that suggests that whatever the cause of the problem is must be something relatively unique to your setup (and I can't even imagine what that might be). As for the deficiencies in XP's default search, I bring that up because when we upgraded our laptops at work to XP some time ago, we quickly found that the search had become useless to us for all intents and purposes, so if you haven't modified it, you're likely to get tripped up by it from time to time. That wasn't meant to imply that you couldn't manage to manually search for a file in a directory and find it, though the same can't necessarily be said for the XP search function, depending on the parameters you give it.
Old 28 July 2005, 02:26   #33
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

please dont get me wrong Chuckles, I really appreciate all the help and advice that these boards and its members offer..

if i sounded defensive perhaps it is because i had pointed out ever other post that once you click start on WinUAE v1.0 it just bombs and it had not gotten to the bit where it appends/creates the log thusly no logs for me to find... no matter where one looks...

Chuckles i cited that i had qualifications (to point the fact i know what to look for etc) not the qualifications in them selfs (we as i am sure most people here) would be here all day..

so i have a better idea....

You and i can *discuss* and *mediate* the win XP searching system *including sus alogorythm* over some serious amounts of apple pie (and for you non-americans out there i am not on about the food)

i think that sounds like a plan... ... ... yeah i like that....

l8rs

Z.
Old 28 July 2005, 07:53   #34
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Are you attempting to launch 1.0 by double clicking on a config file, or are you double clicking on the executable itself? The answer to that question is not immediately apparent to me from a brief scan of your earliest posts, but I ask for a reason. You say that WinUAE bombs before it reaches the point where it creates winuaebootlog.txt, however if the GUI appears at all, then you have already gone past the point in the program where it creates the log. On my system at least, the log will have already been created before the GUI ever appears. In the third post in this thread though, you say that you "then pulled in the old HDF low and behold it totaly krapped out", and if I'm interpreting that correctly, then it sounds like you were in the GUI (on the Hard Drives page). If so, then you were most definitely well past the point where winuaebootlog.txt is written out. The question then would be why it either wasn't written out, or if it was, why it had vanished by the time you went looking for it.

The problem with your posts is simply that they tend to ramble on and on, laced with sarcasm (no doubt due to being frustrated by the problem), yet they fail to include enough information in many cases to give anyone much of a chance to help you diagnose the problem you're having. By the time we get down to the 17th post in the thread, it finally seems clear that at least the GUI is coming up (and so the log should already have been written), but until that point it takes a lot of reading between the lines to be sure that's the case. Most of the folks who have enough knowledge of how the program works (Toni especially, I would think) are going to be less likely to take the time to search for clues in a long post that meanders off topic than they would if the post were more to the point. The end result is that you end up getting less help from the folks here than you might otherwise, and that does you no good. Just a suggestion.
Old 28 July 2005, 08:21   #35
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
before i could get rid of that anoying windows Donk (kinda change that sounds me thinks.... hmmm what ever i put is gonna get anoying)
(off-topic, but...)
My fave sound for Windows error is the "Oh No!" sound from Lemmings