English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 25 July 2005, 11:55   #1
Rock_Lobster
I'm onboard

Copying Amiga HD to HDF on PC

I've used a serial cable to transfer my kickstart ROM's to my PC before, and I've got a utility on my PC which allows me to connect an external Amiga FDD and create ADF's from Amiga disks straight on my PC.

But, none of this seems to be helping me now, I'll explain.

My most expanded Amiga has a 512mb HDD, which still works, but it beginning to make sounds which indicate to me that it's time in this world is almost at an end. Soon it will be going to the great Silicon Wafer in the sky. It's the hard drive equivalent of a terminally ill 90-year old man.

The HDD is full of stuff which took me ages to get working and set up, so I really, really don't want to lose it. It's got lots of OctaMED and Dpaint work, as well was lots of save game files. (in case it matters, it's a 3.5" HDD which I had to modify my Amiga's internal casing to fit in)

So, the big question is, can anyone help me with a (preferably step-by-step) guide on how to create a HDF file of my A1200's hard disk, and dump it onto my PC as a backup, hopefully so I can run it with
WinUAE too.

I've searched quite a lot but the only tools that seem to come up are for the Mac !!!!

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 25 July 2005, 13:17   #2
OddbOd

When I was at the stage you are now (only a few days ago in fact) this had me completely stumped as well but it turned out to be a case of over-thinking the problem. The reason such a procedure is not documented should become crystal clear once you have finished, read on.

Before starting, if you are not running WinNT/2000/XP/2003 I cannot personally recommend proceeding as I have not tried it on an older version of Windows, bad things could happen (or not, I simply don't know for sure).

1) Take the Hard Drive out of your Amiga and plug it in to your PC, load up WinUAE and create a configuration that is identical to your A1200 (or as close as you can get). In WinUAE's Hard Drive configuration section click the "Add Harddrive.." button and choose your real Amiga Hard Disk from the drop down list. Start WinUAE and it should boot off your real Amiga hard disk.

Sidenote to above: If the drive does not appear in the drop down list or you get a messagebox that says "No Amiga formatted or completely empty harddrives detected." then try running WinUAE from the command prompt and use the -disableharddrivesafetycheck commandline option, if this step is necessary make certain to choose the correct drive and do not allow WinUAE to write to disk.

2) Exit WinUAE and create new hardfile(s) for each partition on your real hard disk ensuring each one is at least as big as the partitions on the real hard drive. Add the real hard drive to WinUAEs drive list before adding the hardfile(s) to ensure the device names (DH0,DH1 etc) do not conflict. Start WinUAE and from within the emulator do a file copy from the real hard drive to the hardfiles using AmigaDOS or your favourite file manager.

3) Now restart WinUAE without adding the real drive to the drive list, it should now boot up and assuming all is well you can disconnect the old hard disk , hang it on a chain and wear it as a piece of jewellery

I hope all the above makes sense, Good Luck.

<--- me praying it goes as smoothly for you as it did for me.

Last edited by OddbOd; 25 July 2005 at 14:21.
Old 25 July 2005, 13:57   #3
Rock_Lobster
I'm onboard

Oh my god, you are my hero!!!!

Thankyou very much, this will be getting done tonight.

Sir, I salute you! I would never have thought of that!

Old 25 July 2005, 14:51   #4
falconfx

I would also suggest you an other way to copy all files from your Amiga to your PC.

Give a look at http://www.boomerangsworld.de/apccomm/

This program uses the common parallel port to transfer files between Amiga and PC. You have to get only a parallel cable and trasfer the Amiga version to the Amiga using a floppy.

Then read the guide to transfer all files from an Amiga partition to a PC directory, with only one command!

I have already used it to backup my Amiga's HD and it really worked! Sometimes it can have problem with nested directories but with a bit of work you can also transfer these ones.

Hope this will help you.
Old 25 July 2005, 15:43   #5
Rock_Lobster
I'm onboard

Thanks Falcon That program only seems to be for Linux though.
Old 25 July 2005, 16:07   #6
OddbOd

Freaky coincidence, that's exactly what I needed! Amiga2PC has been causing major problems for me under XP so APCComm will make a very worthwhile replacement.

Thanks falconfx
Old 25 July 2005, 18:56   #7
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Another low-tech solution to the problem would be to use a utility such as Quarterback to back up your Amiga's HD to floppies, create ADF's from the backup floppies, and then restore the backups to the HDF, running Quarterback again under emulation. That's how I went about creating a mirror of my Amiga's HD some time back.
Old 26 July 2005, 09:29   #8
Rock_Lobster
I'm onboard

Last night, I followed Oddb0ds method above, and it worked perfectly! Like a dream! Thankyou very much Sir!

WinUAE is a very clever beast. It picked up the Amiga's HD even though windows completely ignored it. Well done WinUAE!

PS don't initialize your Amiga disk with windows. Just don't.

Last edited by Rock_Lobster; 26 July 2005 at 11:12.
Old 05 August 2007, 20:15   #9
_Steve_

@Toni

One small snag that I have hit when trying to use an Overdrive harddrive in the PC is that it doesn't appear to create an RDB in the normal way. The partition data isn't available even on a real Amiga if you remove the drive and connect it directly to the IDE interface.

The Overdrive uses the PCMCIA connection, and required you to run a program called " " (space) from CC0: before the partitions become available.
The problem is under UAE, you cannot run " " as you do not have access to the drive by default (it has no volume name or device name - and requires the harddrive safety check to be disabled to be able to list it in add harddrives anyway).

Is there any way at all of adding a harddrive as though it were connected via CC0: ?
Old 05 August 2007, 20:39   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Non-RDB drives won't be supported.

Quote:
Is there any way at all of adding a harddrive as though it were connected via CC0: ?
No. PCMCIA adapter would also need to be emulated and that would be pointless (=give me full specs + big donation and I may think about it )
Old 06 August 2007, 08:18   #11
thomas

@Steve:

boot up your Amiga and use a "make mountlist" utility to create a mountlist for the drive (I guess there are several on Aminet). Then run WinUAE with the HDD added and use a workbench ADF + the mountlist to mount it. You have to edit the mountlist to match WinUAE before (i.e. change whatever.device into uaehf.device and unit=whatever into the position of the HDD in WinUAE's HDD list). Then you can use an image utility inside WinUAE to create a usable HDF of each partition, e.g. TSGUI.
Old 10 August 2007, 19:34   #12
_Steve_

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
@Steve:

boot up your Amiga and use a "make mountlist" utility to create a mountlist for the drive (I guess there are several on Aminet). Then run WinUAE with the HDD added and use a workbench ADF + the mountlist to mount it. You have to edit the mountlist to match WinUAE before (i.e. change whatever.device into uaehf.device and unit=whatever into the position of the HDD in WinUAE's HDD list). Then you can use an image utility inside WinUAE to create a usable HDF of each partition, e.g. TSGUI.

I have RDBSalv which I know can create mountlists for the drive. I'll have a play around and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the tip.
Old 15 August 2007, 08:01   #13
exoticaga

Would compressing all the data on the amiga drive into say an lha file, not work.

Compress at it the worst compression mode for speed, making a quick a file stored package. Transfer lha file to the pc, using a cd-dvd-usb keyfob or other media.

Extract it into an ADF folder or drive image using ADFView, ADFOpus or other like tools. Also will have the lha file as a backup, if problems with original amiga hd drive ever occur.

Last edited by exoticaga; 16 August 2007 at 01:53. Reason: opus signinum
Old 21 July 2011, 14:44   #14
642Amiga

Hi All,

I know this thread is now a bit old but just wanted to show how I copied my Amiga 1200 32 Meg harddrives both for backup and restore, the original drives are now getting very old I'm amazed they still work, but I wanted to get a backup of the drives and try a restore onto a newer SATA 2.5 drive. I had a Lacie 40gb usb Drive, taking the drive out revealed the USB to PATA ide adapter, removing the hard drive out of my 1200 and plugged it into the adapter, then connected the drive to my mac.. of course the MAC does not recognise the drive which is fine, just click the ignore button. Then in a terminal window as the root user type in "diskutil list" you should see

bash-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 299.0 GB disk0s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data 20.7 GB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0 : * 31.9 MB disk1

The /dev/disk1 is the the Amiga drive..
Then a simple "dd if=/dev/disk1 of=disk.hdf" Takes about a minute or 2. Will create a copy of the disk and create a file called disk.hdf. You can even copy this into your UAE to start from or restore it onto a new hard drive just connect your new drive up and use "dd if=disk.hdf of=/dev/disk1" and attach the new drive and watch your system startup on the new drive..

This would also work just as well on Linux...

Sorry if its a bit long...