English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 December 2019, 17:38   #1
naviward

Alien Breed 3D remake?

I've seen a number of different attempts over the years to improve or remake Alien Breed 3D (Quake/Doom mods, Unity version and the very good patch for mouse support in the original), but none of the modern attempts seem to have got further than a test level or two.

Does anyone know of any projects that took this further and actually produced a finished version?
Old 31 December 2019, 17:45   #2
Misclegend
Banned

yes there is a project to remake the game run in unreal 4 engine, directx 12, ,raytracing, VR,4k 144hz etc
will be realesed in march 2020
Old 31 December 2019, 17:51   #3
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by naviward View Post
Does anyone know of any projects that took this further and actually produced a finished version?
Does the modification "Alien Breed 3D II - Xenium Core" on the Amiga count?
Old 31 December 2019, 17:58   #4
naviward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Does the modification "Alien Breed 3D II - Xenium Core" on the Amiga count?
Oh, not heard of that, certainly worth a try.

I was looking more at the original game as Alien Breed 3D II already scales well to quicker machines and was hoping to play through the original at faster speeds with a 1x1 pixel mode.
Old 31 December 2019, 18:01   #5
naviward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misclegend View Post
yes there is a project to remake the game run in unreal 4 engine, directx 12, ,raytracing, VR,4k 144hz etc
Unlikely through that sounds, I'd be quite up for that.
Old 31 December 2019, 18:08   #6
rothers

Did anyone else think it was weird that they never released it for the PC in the first place?
Old 31 December 2019, 18:14   #7
naviward

Totally. Especially as Team 17 was releasing Worms on anything with a CPU the same year. Maybe they just didn't have the staff to do it. Shame AB3D2 didn't get a PC release either.
Old 31 December 2019, 18:18   #8
DamienD
Banned

There was Shadowgrounds released in 2006 that is supposed to be in the same vain as Alien Breed.
Old 31 December 2019, 18:25   #9
Cherno

Quote:
There was Shadowgrounds released in 2006 that is supposed to be in the same vain as Alien Breed.
Yes, nice game for coop. That being said, I believe this thread is more about Alien Breed 3D than the top-down shooters
Old 31 December 2019, 19:51   #10
naviward

Quote:
Ah, I see what I've done there. I meant Alien Breed 3D - Remake, not Alien Breed - 3D Remake (stupid English not being clear).
Old 31 December 2019, 20:40   #11
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
Did anyone else think it was weird that they never released it for the PC in the first place?
My assumptions is two reasons:
1) They were just too Amiga hardcore
2) I've read on several places that AB3D, used some weird (strictly Amiga) tricks to have water transparency, and many other effects that even Doom didn't have. Besides that, AB3D could do Floor/over/Floor stuff, that Doom engine was unable to do.

That aside, I am still very sorry there is no AB3D 1x1px version, for stronger 68k processors, and generally Amiga.
Sure, there is an AB3D2, but the game is so different (it lacks atmosphere and level design), that even it have a better gfx, in my eyes, it's just a pure child in comparison to AB3D.
Old 01 January 2020, 00:17   #12
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Technically, you can play Shadowgrounds in First Person:
http://board.frozenbyte.com/viewtopic.php?t=1497
http://board.frozenbyte.com/viewtopic.php?t=103

But, as pointed in the first post of the first thread linked to, you won't be able to aim vertically.

I remember trying that a few years ago. It was interesting for a few minutes.
Old 01 January 2020, 01:12   #13
Misclegend
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
there were a lot of first person shooters for PC around 1996
AB3D could not compete against them,it would have been an economic risk for publishers to publish this game for the PC

in the case of AB3D2 yes, such game is fantastic, could have competed and beat most of them

they should have published it but they didn't , probably because the engine was too tight to the AGA chipset and was not a very easy port

anyways today having a fast CPU you can run in winuae at 39 fps, is very smooth ,an unforgettable experience that no real Amiga can do
Old 01 January 2020, 02:06   #14
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
What, no HDR? ;-)

Quote:
I've read on several places that AB3D, used some weird (strictly Amiga) tricks to have water transparency, and many other effects that even Doom didn't have. Besides that, AB3D could do Floor/over/Floor stuff, that Doom engine was unable to do.
I remember reading about that at the time. It had bump-mapped textures too.

Of all the games Team 17 could have milked for the next 20 years on pretty much any device with a screen, it had to be bl**** Worms, didn't it, not AB3D!
Old 01 January 2020, 15:34   #15
Ami

Quote:
in the case of AB3D2 yes, such game is fantastic, could have competed and beat most of them

they should have published it but they didn't , probably because the engine was too tight to the AGA chipset and was not a very easy port
Yup, AB3D2 (and probably AB3D too) is pure m68k assembly code, totally unportable. http://aminet.net/search?query=a3dsrc
Old 12 January 2020, 08:07   #16
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami View Post
Yup, AB3D2 (and probably AB3D too) is pure m68k assembly code, totally unportable. http://aminet.net/search?query=a3dsrc
Just to clarify, AB3D and AB3D2 don't use any special Amiga tricks for their 3D rendering, transparencies, etc. -- that's all done in software. Any AGA trickery was done purely in the service of getting copper chunky working on the low-end versions, as well as the border overlay, text scrolling, etc.

The games do turn on the low pass filter when underwater but that's about the only Amiga-specific stuff in the gameplay I can think of.

But yeah the main problem is the source is all super-undocumented assembly, and porting it would be a nightmare. I don't think anyone has even gotten it to *BUILD* successfully. (Though the source has been used as reference for creating patches for the existing commercial build).
Old 12 January 2020, 12:16   #17
Juz400

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
Of all the games Team 17 could have milked for the next 20 years on pretty much any device with a screen, it had to be bl**** Worms, didn't it, not AB3D!

It was as close as you could get to a rich film companys IP without lawyers getting involved, especially when AVP on the Jaguar came along. Even Brandywine got shafted on the films/revenue share