English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 October 2014, 15:37   #1
TheDarkCoder

Cybervision 64 help

Hi,

I am testing a Cybervision 64 that has been repaired after being damaged. A hard disk fell over the card cutting a trace. With the dameged card inside the A4000T did not boot up.
A friend of mine patched the trace, but he was unable to test the card.
For testing I inserted it in my A4000T whose boot partition has OS 3.9 BB2. Since previously no gfx card was present, I didn't have any RTG library. Before mounting the card the system was vey much stable.
After mounting the card, I ran the original CV64 install disk, that installed Cybergfx 3, I think an old version.
The system boot and I am able to open CGX screen modes. However, when workbench is open on a CGX mode, if I open a drawer, the systm becomes unresponsive. The mouse pointer moves, but clicking has no effect.

Software problem? Have to update CGX?
Or might it be that the card has not been fully repaired?
Old 04 October 2014, 15:52   #2
zipper

Everything is possible - but CGX3 is not too good, at least you should update to the latest version (http://aminet.net/driver/video/CyberGraphX3.lha). Why don't you try P96?
Old 17 October 2014, 10:53   #3
TheDarkCoder

Hi,

I got CGX4. First I did the update installation (on top of CGX3). Nothing changed, i.e., the board works with DirOpus and Aweb, but with workbench the system becomes unresponsive to clicks as soon as I open one or two drawer.

Then I removed CGX and reinstalled CGX4 from zero. Now the board is recognized by cgxconfig, it display the bootpic, it responds to changes of PASSTHROUGH setting made using the preferences program.
But no CGX mode is available in screen selection requesters

I am really afraid that the board is still malfunctioning. Any suggestion?
Old 17 October 2014, 11:15   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Please try with clean workbench install and Picasso96.

CGX can be a pain to setup correctly whereas P96 is quick and easy, this will rule out issues with the card at least!
Old 17 October 2014, 12:22   #5
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkCoder View Post
Hi,

Then I removed CGX and reinstalled CGX4 from zero. Now the board is recognized by cgxconfig, it display the bootpic, it responds to changes of PASSTHROUGH setting made using the preferences program.
But no CGX mode is available in screen selection requesters
Did you update CGX? It doesn't work (no modes) on 3.9 +bb w/o http://powerup.amigaworld.de/download.php?id=9
Old 17 October 2014, 19:39   #6
TheDarkCoder

I will try both suggestions from Zipper and Fitzsteve.

Could it be better to try on a 3.1 partition instead of a 3.9?
Old 24 November 2014, 18:01   #7
TheDarkCoder

Resurrect the thread to say that after some experiments, the card seems to work with both CGX and P96 installed on a OS 3.1 partition. I will soon try the latest CGX4 update with OS 3.9.
Meanwhile, to be 100% sure that the hardware is not damaged, I would like to do some more tests with 3.1. So, which programs could be a good test to check that all card's features work? Ideally, I would like some sort of demo or diagnostics which uses all CV64 features. Any suggestions?
Old 05 December 2014, 15:36   #8
TheDarkCoder

I resurrect again the thread, hopefully for the last time!

I updated CGX 4 to what seems to be the latest version (4.3, i.e. 42.7) and all seems working also with OS 3.9.

Workbench works ok, Aweb works, YAM works.
I also tried sspeed which does tests of graphics and intuition using both native and RTG graphics modes. Everything seems ok, and the visual appearance of the tests was the same on native and RTG modes.

I also tried the game TalesFromHeaven (the only RTG game I have) and seems to work. Unfortunately I was unable to complete level 1, how is it possible to jump in this game??!

So, in the end I would say that my Cyberstorm 64 has been properly repaired!

I wish to thank very much zipper and fitzsteve, because they fostered me to try to update the drivers! I was about to give up, because I pessimistically believed that the hardware was broken. Thanks alot my friends!