English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 August 2014, 07:32   #1
Mister Octopus

Octotiggy - Introducing My American Wife To The Amiga

Hi folks,

My wife and I grew up in different countries and with different systems-- she grew up in the United States with mostly Nintendo consoles, and I grew up in New Zealand with a Commodore Amiga 500. We decided to introduce each other to all the games we played as kids, and to share our reactions as a YouTube channel called Octotiggy.

Our channel is only a couple of months old, but we post a video every day and we have a few video serieseses up already.

On the Amiga side of things we already have:

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

We also have a few one-off episodes:

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Also, to "celebrate" the US film release of Michael Bay's historical drama "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", we've started a series called TURTLEFEST!-- a whole month (and probably more) of Ninja Turtle games. We've started it off with a 4-part comparison of the NES and Amiga versions of [ Show youtube player ] (both Ninja and Hero versions)!

We have a bunch of NES games up already too, and a couple newer games from Steam (because we still love modern games too!).

We've received a little bit of flack for not being the best of gamers, but these are truly my wife's first reactions to these games, so we don't always play them well (I'm looking at you, Rainbow Islands and Dogs Of War)! Some of these I haven't played for 20 years, so I'm not always the best guide either, but I have fun getting nostalgic and she has fun (most of the time) experiencing some Amiga gems for the first time!

If you want to check us out, just click on any of the games I've mentioned above-- they all link to the videos on our channel. Or check out our nifty intro video [ Show youtube player ]. It gives you an idea of some of the games coming up!

Hope you enjoy!
Old 20 August 2014, 10:31   #2
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Ohhh nice, I found a video of yours some days ago while looking for the TMNT Amiga game, I think.. Keep up the good work
Old 20 August 2014, 11:14   #3
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Great channel - I really like what you have created - I will subscribe, thanks for sharing here on EAB.

How did you create your opening animations and what software did you use?
Old 20 August 2014, 11:28   #4
Mister Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Great channel - I really like what you have created - I will subscribe, thanks for sharing here on EAB.

How did you create your opening animations and what software did you use?
Thanks! The animation was drawn and put together in Adobe Flash by my wife, and I did the music. We tried to keep the intro short (I hate long channel intros when I just want to watch some gameplay), but wanted it to explain the point of our channel as quickly as possible
Old 20 August 2014, 11:33   #5
Peter
Still an Amiga user

The Anims look really good! Cheers for the info.
Old 20 August 2014, 14:39   #6
capehorn

Hi Octo, I've enjoyed watching most of the daily videos you link to on Twitter. It looks like you are both enjoying Parasol stars, but please practice playing Rainbow Islands and show it to Tiggy again! I'm sure one she gets used to the way you can climb rainbows and jump on them to kill the enemies she'll like it. Also show her the gems and how important they are to the game, it really adds to the game.

How many more parts are there of the Arcade Turtles game to come?
Old 20 August 2014, 14:51   #7
Mister Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
Hi Octo, I've enjoyed watching most of the daily videos you link to on Twitter. It looks like you are both enjoying Parasol stars, but please practice playing Rainbow Islands and show it to Tiggy again! I'm sure one she gets used to the way you can climb rainbows and jump on them to kill the enemies she'll like it. Also show her the gems and how important they are to the game, it really adds to the game.

How many more parts are there of the Arcade Turtles game to come?
Hi again, capehorn!

I think we've annoyed more people with our poor performance on Rainbow Islands than on any other game so far! I'll have to give it another go and see if I can talk her into it

There's a couple more TMNT II videos to go, and then it's on to TMNT III. As for which Amiga game is next... haha, that would be telling.
Old 20 August 2014, 14:55   #8
s2325
Zone Friend

Maybe try these Amiga games where you can fight with other player but it's not main point.
Old 21 August 2014, 02:17   #9
Mister Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Maybe try these Amiga games where you can fight with other player but it's not main point.
Totally! I'm trying to hit some of the titles that really push my nostalgia buttons, but we're definitely considering any suggestions.
Old 21 August 2014, 09:09   #10
s2325
Zone Friend

Try Dyna Blaster, Dynamite Dux, Final Fight, International Karate +.
Old 21 August 2014, 10:53   #11
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Nooo, not Final Fight ! That game is the ultimate insult to the Amiga

@Mister Octopus
I watched the whole Turtle Fest yesterday, and it was great fun Keep up the good work !
Old 21 August 2014, 12:11   #12
s2325
Zone Friend

He may wait for unofficial port of Final Fight as released preview was impressive for me.
Old 21 August 2014, 14:31   #13
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
yes, the latest preview is incredible. the arcade feeling is really there, in a way that the original a500 version never achieved. We can have 5 enemies at the same time on screen, and thanks to ADR design, the 1200 version has perfect replication of the coin-op musics and sounds. Add the parallax, and there you are
Old 21 August 2014, 15:11   #14
Mister Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Try Dyna Blaster, Dynamite Dux, Final Fight, International Karate +.
I have a couple of those in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
@Mister Octopus
I watched the whole Turtle Fest yesterday, and it was great fun Keep up the good work !
Thanks! I hope people are finding it interesting to see someone experiencing these Amiga games for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
yes, the latest preview is incredible. the arcade feeling is really there, in a way that the original a500 version never achieved. We can have 5 enemies at the same time on screen, and thanks to ADR design, the 1200 version has perfect replication of the coin-op musics and sounds. Add the parallax, and there you are
Sounds interesting! Has anyone got a video link, and is the remake already released?
Old 21 August 2014, 15:36   #15
s2325
Zone Friend

[ Show youtube player ] It's early version, maybe today developer has something more advanced.
Old 21 August 2014, 15:43   #16
kriz

Great videos, funny and nice games featured .. Subscibed
Old 30 August 2014, 09:17   #17
Mister Octopus

We just finished our playthrough of [ Show youtube player ]. My wife enjoyed it a lot more than Rainbow Islands, which might be due to it playing a lot more like the original Bubble Bobble.

Because she enjoyed it so much, and because it was recommended by a fan, we decided to finally check out [ Show youtube player ] too!
Old 12 September 2014, 17:22   #18
Mister Octopus

If there was a post-apocalyptic world overrun by cats riding roombas, they'd probably invent a death sport that looks just like [ Show youtube player ].

Does anyone remember this Electronic Arts throwback?
Old 13 September 2014, 11:39   #19
polomint

This is really interesting, I think that I have most of today sorted for watching videos now, Well, besides the Liverpool footy match later, hehe
Old 13 September 2014, 17:38   #20
daxb

Projectyle is a great multiplayer game similar to Adrenalynn. At least playing it from HD. Floppy loding times are crazy. A remake for AGA 030+ and fastram would be cool.