English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 September 2018, 13:15   #61
Dunny

I too found Doom to be pretty juvenile back in the day. I didn't play Sonic until I was 20, and loved the hell out of it. Mario games continues to astound with awesome gameplay.

Doom 2016 is a very, very good game but the gore is not Adult, it's aimed at teens.

A good example of an Adult game would be say, the Amnesia series (terrifying) or if we're going mainstream then Alien: Isolation. And not for the gory "folks getting ripped apart" bits, but the bits where you cower beneath a table while the Alien hunts you down. Heart-stopping at times and definitely not for kids.
Old 12 September 2018, 14:05   #62
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
If You are interested in development of Ruff and Tumble look here https://www.ppa.pl/forum/strefa-gier...wczesna-wersja
Use Google translate to understood what I write there, also there are lots of images. Robin Leavy was very kind to answer many of my questions.
Hey, thanks for this mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
then Alien: Isolation.
Awesome game. I didn't finish it unfortunately (I think I had to reinstall comp), but I was very satisfied.
Very truthful to the first 3 Alien movies, in terms of atmosphere.
Old 13 September 2018, 08:54   #63
Steril707
OCS rocks!

I don't get whats wrong with "cute". If it's done in the rigth way. Like many people already pointed out in this thread.
Old 13 September 2018, 12:04   #64
blakstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I don't get whats wrong with "cute". If it's done in the rigth way. Like many people already pointed out in this thread.
In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with "cute", but for some reason some people just don't like it. Personally, I quite liked such games as Zool, James Pond, and Rainbow Islands, but, as I pointed out in my earlier post, there were plenty of serious games released during the Amiga's lifetime.
Old 13 September 2018, 13:11   #65
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I mean, imagine a game like James Pond with Deep Core graphics. It just doesn't work.
Old 13 September 2018, 14:46   #66
haynor666
retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
Use Google translate to understood what I write there, also there are lots of images. Robin Leavy was very kind to answer many of my questions.
Some people does not need to use translator

Anyway, I never had problem with game that is cute or not. Good game is a good game no matter what graphics fashion it present.
Old 13 September 2018, 16:10   #67
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Cute is for children (only, I would guess), and to be honest, I didn't want to turn 18, then get my Amiga and discover more children's games on it.

I mean, in terms of 8-bit systems, I don't perceive the Atari 800XL (which I owned before the ST then Amiga) to have many cute games at all, but then that could be down to the primitive graphics making it difficult to portray cartoon characters. In some ways, I actually love the games on the Atari 8-Bit more than the Amiga, although I have a lot of Amiga favourites (if only for the music, some of them).
Old 13 September 2018, 21:26   #68
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Cute is for children (only, I would guess)
And there's the problem. You're missing out on a huge world of incredible gameplay by shunning entire swathes of the games industry simply because your mindset equates cute with exclusively for children. That's like never eating pizza because you don't like the look of it, and thus depriving yourself of all that cheesy wonderfulness.
Old 13 September 2018, 21:40   #69
mcgeezer

This lad hates the genre with a passion. For some reason I do love his Amiga reviews though.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 September 2018, 01:36   #70
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Cute is for children ...
Your statement is really curious... Because I think there is nothing more childlike than playing games. And I have nothing against playing a cute game, just because it makes me feel childish. On the contrary, what I do not like is of everything that makes me feel older than I am really!

And it's not because nowadays there are people who work with eSports, that playing games stopped being childish. Do you really want to be an adult? You should stop playing games, because this will not take you anywhere, and you should enter in the army, because this is considered real.

But I sincerely prefer to continue child forever... Because the life in the army world is too realistic to be seen as a pleasing thing to the eyes only because is a thing done by adults.

If you do not want to feel childish, then I suggest you forget retro-games because there is nothing worse than playing a game from a machine from twenty to thirty years ago at a time when everyone was in the infancy or the teens.
Old 14 September 2018, 02:24   #71
BBOWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
Amiga was aimed at the home market, aka the lad in his early-mid teens, and a lot of the games mirrored what was popular on the telly. There were a ton of licensing tie ins - and the software houses made extra money off it.

It was also a good sell for parents.

Also - it was the late 80s, early 90s. Big, loud colours were a thing.

Of course, you could go on cute overload with a game like Magic Pockets, and when you've had enough boot up another Bitmap Brothers title like Speedball 2 and merrily imbibe in some serious violence.
Imbibe......... now I have to go look up that word. Thanks a lot.
Old 14 September 2018, 09:23   #72
d4rk3lf

Quote:
I didn't want to turn 18, then get my Amiga and discover more children's games on it.
You will have to forgive Commodore and all games developer, not building a machine and software only for your taste.
Indeed, they should've ignore the rest of the world, and focus only on your needs.
Old 14 September 2018, 10:38   #73
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
This lad hates the genre with a passion. For some reason I do love his Amiga reviews though.

[ Show youtube player ]
Lad? He sounds older than me, and I'm 45! I'm just glad I'm not the only one who thinks the same way.
Old 14 September 2018, 11:05   #74
Dunny

I think that 18 year old kids are, ironically enough, too immature to properly appreciate games that look like they're made for kids.
Old 14 September 2018, 11:26   #75
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Imagine skipping to play Banjo Kazooie on the N64 because you think it is for kids :/ The game is seriously good.
Old 14 September 2018, 12:26   #76
d4rk3lf

agreed...
...imagine skipping playing K240, because graphics are kind of cartoony.
or Settlers...
or Simon the sorcerer...
Old 14 September 2018, 12:46   #77
Dunny

But that's what 18 year old boys do, isn't it? They go for form over function, as they say. A flashy fast car despite it being pointless in a country where they have speed limits. In relationships the looks matter more despite having shitty personalities. Music has to be loud and aggressive, regardless of the actual talent involved.

You see it all the time.

Then they grow up and discover the actual delight in Mario game, or Kirby or Animal Crossing etc etc. It's not about wanting to only enjoy "adult" things, it's about appearing to be an adult, without knowing very much about what that entails.
Old 14 September 2018, 16:56   #78
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
You will have to forgive Commodore and all games developer, not building a machine and software only for your taste.
Indeed, they should've ignore the rest of the world, and focus only on your needs.
I could've phrased that sentence of mine better, but you surely know what I meant.