English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 22 February 2014, 17:36   #121
venox

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim View Post
Try winxp and use the drivers I used and it worked first time as kipper2k linked

If in windows 7 use xp mode
ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on two times WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys

Last edited by venox; 22 February 2014 at 17:59.

Old 22 February 2014, 22:04   #122
Solo761

Btw, just came to my mind. When you tried under Win7/8, did you use run as administrator? It wouldn't be the first time app requires admin rights to run properly, or access hardware which in this case it does.
Old 22 February 2014, 22:22   #123
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi i just tried with admin rights and still no play in win 7
Old 22 February 2014, 23:30   #124
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I think there is an option in Windows 7 if you right click on the exe file of the program, something like fix compatibility problems, "The program was working with previous Windows versions" to run it like for Windows XP.

But I don't have the Gotek yet, so I haven't tried anything.
Old 23 February 2014, 09:08   #125
gira93

Hi guys !
I've followed this thread a bit and i finally ordered a gotek! Just one for now
Now i'm wondering if something goes wrong during the flash process? Can i just connect to the TTL and reflash even with a corrupted (EPROM?) ? I mean will it be recognized by the PC?
Maybe it's just a dumb question but better be sure!
Old 23 February 2014, 12:28   #126
mikele

what about Win2000 SP4? Will it work?
Old 23 February 2014, 13:37   #127
mram

Just for curiosity, I presume it emulates only one drive, right?
Old 23 February 2014, 13:46   #128
Higgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gira93 View Post
Hi guys !
I've followed this thread a bit and i finally ordered a gotek! Just one for now
Now i'm wondering if something goes wrong during the flash process? Can i just connect to the TTL and reflash even with a corrupted (EPROM?) ? I mean will it be recognized by the PC?
Maybe it's just a dumb question but better be sure!
I don't think you have to worry as on H.M WordPress blog someone was asking if it was ok just to push the wires into the PCB holes instead of soldering on headers, and if the wire lost contact.
Old 23 February 2014, 21:45   #129
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Wow! So basically, if I had a real Amiga (damn and curses for getting ridding of mine!), I simply transfer my TOSEC collection onto a USB stick (ok, only a small part of them would fit depending on amount of Gb the stick had) and bung it into a Gotek Amiga Floppy Emulator that's connected to a real Amiga and away you go?! That's fecking amazing!

Cheeky question: Does it also allow you to speed up floppy drive emulation speed as per the option in WinUAE?

Hmmm. This could just be the persuasion I need to get a real Amiga again. Probably the A1200.... have to wait and see.
Old 23 February 2014, 22:25   #130
Steve T

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy View Post
Wow! So basically, if I had a real Amiga (damn and curses for getting ridding of mine!), I simply transfer my TOSEC collection onto a USB stick (ok, only a small part of them would fit depending on amount of Gb the stick had) and bung it into a Gotek Amiga Floppy Emulator that's connected to a real Amiga and away you go?! That's fecking amazing!
no, sadly the gotek is limited by a specific number of slots iirc, what is it, 100 disks worth? no matter how big the stick drive is, still enough to be well worthwhile, imho.

if you want gb's worth, you'll need the HxC or the Pi drive that kipper is developing.

if your goal is just easy access to a large games collection the problem with either of these routes is once you've gone through all that time or expense or both, you might have been better of to spend a little more and get an accellerator, CF card and interface and WHD load everthing instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy View Post
Cheeky question: Does it also allow you to speed up floppy drive emulation speed as per the option in WinUAE?
Good question, I've been wondering how much quicker it is to load than a floppy too!
Old 23 February 2014, 22:28   #131
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve T View Post

Good question, I've been wondering how much quicker it is to load than a floppy too!
From what i see it reads pretty well at standard floppy speed
Old 24 February 2014, 00:06   #132
H.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve T View Post
no, sadly the gotek is limited by a specific number of slots iirc, what is it, 100 disks worth? no matter how big the stick drive is, still enough to be well worthwhile, imho.

if you want gb's worth, you'll need the HxC or the Pi drive that kipper is developing.
There is no limitation of the number of ADF files that you can have on the USB stick. A selector software allows you to choose a poll of 30 images.
(30 for the moment - 999 in a next release )
If you want select other images just run again the selector and make your choices.
So yes : You can have the whole TOSEC collection on an (big) USB stick .

About the number of emulated drive : 1 for the moment, 2 or 3 in a next release .
Old 24 February 2014, 00:17   #133
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

nice to know H.M and thankyou for this work
Old 24 February 2014, 02:14   #134
desiv

Well, I've ordered, so it should be fun.. ;-)
I even ordered some header pins to solder in to make it look a little nicer...

I am wondering if it will be worth it to move the display/buttons or not...
I'm not sure how often I'd use them...

Especially if/when the firmware supports some option for multiple disk loads for multi-disk games (possibly in multiple emulated drives, based on H.M.'s last post.. AWESOME!!!)

Honestly, I can't imagine wanting thousands of disk images on one usb stick tho; I can't imagine an easy way to scroll through all that.. ;-)
I only have maybe 50 of my favorite games on my 1200 in iGame.

desiv
Old 24 February 2014, 03:09   #135
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Honestly, I can't imagine wanting thousands of disk images on one usb stick tho; I can't imagine an easy way to scroll through all that.. ;-)
I only have maybe 50 of my favorite games on my 1200 in iGame.

desiv
You would have individual folders with the type of game or arranged alphabetically.
Old 24 February 2014, 09:18   #136
Higgy

Like some of the MAME emulators, you could have a button that allows jump of a whole page along with the normal scroll down.
This way 3 buttons presses will move you to ADF's number 090-120.
Old 24 February 2014, 09:39   #137
Steve T

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M View Post
There is no limitation of the number of ADF files that you can have on the USB stick. A selector software allows you to choose a poll of 30 images.
(30 for the moment - 999 in a next release )
If you want select other images just run again the selector and make your choices.
So yes : You can have the whole TOSEC collection on an (big) USB stick .

About the number of emulated drive : 1 for the moment, 2 or 3 in a next release .
wow, i had no idea, my apologies for underselling it... this thing really is gonna be a "must have" for every amiga still running.

(...I guess this means the inevitable flood of ebay sellers with pre-loaded, pre-flashed drives for 34.99 +p&p)
Old 25 February 2014, 07:15   #138
Turran

Considering the problems I had flashing my first, I would rather have payed 34.99 for it =)
Old 25 February 2014, 10:28   #139
gira93

I have a USB TTL adapter that uses the CP2102 chip instead of the Prolific PL2303HX, will this work or do i need to use the Prolific? The CP chip is better for me because it actually work even on windows 8!
Old 26 February 2014, 08:37   #140
Solo761

It should work since it's about serial communication, not the chip itself. If it can output serial data according to specification, and it should since that's its only purpose , it should work.

I don't know what exact chip is on mine, I only know it's also not prolific so when my gotek arrives I'll know for sure but I don't expect problems. It should arrive any day now, it better be, I ordered one almost three weeks ago