English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 March 2021, 19:56   #1
PDrill

Is the Vampire for A1200 something for me?

I was going to post this on the Apollo Forum but didn't get the confirmation e-mail to my hotmail and gmail so I didn't write this there. Also I searched for some kind of 'general vampire thread' here but didn't succeed in that either so here I am.

I currently have an Escom A1200 with ACA1221LC (=a bit more more mhz & mb), SD2HD, RTC, KS 3.1.4(.1), Wifi and RJ45 networking via PCMCIA.It's a rock solid combination, virtually no problems with anything.

Eventough I don't NEED more mhz and mb, I WANT more. Also a built-in RJ45 would be nice, as would the ability to use better resolutions and displays. I would still like to continue with the same KS and WB so that I still know my way around.

And after all this, now I'm getting to the question. When I got the ACA card, it was simply just putting it in and that's it, but makes me wonder a lot how will it be with the Vampire? At this point I'm not interested in getting out the last 101% of everything, things mentioned above would do at least for now. And if there still is the need for two different displays (for different modes like it has been if I've understood correctly) will I be able to use the current setup (naturally loosing the advantages of all the new modes) of only one display?

At the moment I've been on the queue for 10 or 11 months and I trust my time will come shortly, but as it's quite a bit of €€€ I've been thinking how well it will fit my needs vs what I need to do to get my system running.
Old 29 March 2021, 23:17   #2
FREEMILK

I just got a TF1260 it's so awesome
works works and works , Mine is a LC060 runs at 75 MHz rock solid and everything I have done with it works .

Last edited by FREEMILK; 30 March 2021 at 14:29.
Old 30 March 2021, 08:51   #3
UberFreak

I recently got my V1200 and for me it was plug'n'play, everything worked on the first power-up.
Take into account that the core is still under development and there are some compatibility issues.

I decided to go this route after the insane rise in 68060 prices and the fact that they're not easy to get anymore, I just don't see a future there.
So far I have no regrets.
Old 30 March 2021, 11:21   #4
Vypr

I have 3 1200's with different accelerators:

1st One has an ACA1233n-40
2nd one has a Blizzard PPC
3rd one has an Vampire 1200

The vampire one is the one I use least mostly because of hte need to have two monitors attatched to it, one for the RTG HDMI output and the other for the native Amiga output.

IMO, RTG is nice to have on a 1200 but there are so few programs that use it that it makes it pretty much useless. Youget a nice workbanch but that's about it.

T o be honest,t he ACA1233n-40 was the best 'bang for buck' out of the three my opinions are:

BlizzardPPC Card:

Pros:
68060 and Power PC accelerator
Up to 256Mb RAM
Integrated SCSI
RTG Addon card available

Cons:
Eye-wateringly expensive, mine cost over £1,100 but it did come with the RTG card
SCSI not supported by OS4.1 which is the reason I wanted this card.
Rarer than rocking horse shit - They don;t show up for sale very often and when they do it's very expensive.

Vampire 1200V2

Pros:
68080 processor sov ery fast
HDMI RTG output
Ability to add Network port through expansion
Internal IDE header (14Mb/sec)

Cons:
Don't believe their roadmaps. They say they will be adding extra features on but then the next roadpmap come sout and the proposed features get less and less. Native HDMI output ws teased with GOLD3 candidate but there has been no movement on this for years. They are more focussed on the V4 standalone card than the existing V2 accelerators.
Long waiting time, minimum of 8 months between order and delivery.

ACA1233

Pros:
128Mb RAM
CLockport header
Overclocked 68030 - Models up to 55Mhz
Cheapest of the 3 options

Cons:
Currently out of stock from manufacturer. but more may become available
Old 30 March 2021, 14:33   #5
FREEMILK

Thats a great post, and very accurate.
just wanted to add that the TF1260 is being sold by 2 people on FB.

One nice thing is that it is able to use the LC version of the 060 and can be bought on ebay for $50 and mine came with the MC68LC060RC50, i run it at 75 mhz.

I did some comparing last night and its actually more compatible than my A4k with Warp engine and MC68060RC50 @80 mhz. not sure why. using the same image, and same WHDLoad demos.

Alternatively the ACA series are great board for really low cost. Even AmigaKit has a nice lower cost FPU RAM board with some ROM switching ability.

some nice new products out there, that are well supported.
Old 30 March 2021, 15:32   #6
d4rk3lf

Great replies,. indeed.

Personally, I feel it would be a shame disassembling such a nice rig, where you say, everything already works 100% nicely, and would just purchase Vampire standalone, or Roseberry PI, or any other alternative,
and use it as a complete separate system.

That way, on the new system you could play more demanding 3D games, or watch movies in high res, or whatever needs large speed proc.
And you always have that nice old system, where you can have great compatibility, and play origonal Amiga games, and apps, without headache.
Old 30 March 2021, 17:03   #7
trixster
Guru Meditating

@freemilk the TF1260 will really start to shine when the fw matures
Old 30 March 2021, 17:41   #8
Shaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEMILK View Post
Thats a great post, and very accurate.
just wanted to add that the TF1260 is being sold by 2 people on FB.

One nice thing is that it is able to use the LC version of the 060 and can be bought on ebay for $50 and mine came with the MC68LC060RC50, i run it at 75 mhz.

I did some comparing last night and its actually more compatible than my A4k with Warp engine and MC68060RC50 @80 mhz. not sure why. using the same image, and same WHDLoad demos.

Alternatively the ACA series are great board for really low cost. Even AmigaKit has a nice lower cost FPU RAM board with some ROM switching ability.

some nice new products out there, that are well supported.
I know it's a little OT, but is the LC version (so with MMU but no FPU) able to run demos like Starstruck by TBL or any 060 specific demos?
Old 30 March 2021, 20:00   #9
ubermick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEMILK View Post
Got a link to the one LC 060 you got? I see quite a few on there, and heard that most of them are basically non functional?
Old 30 March 2021, 23:54   #10
UberFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaytan View Post
I know it's a little OT, but is the LC version (so with MMU but no FPU) able to run demos like Starstruck by TBL or any 060 specific demos?

Most demos are targeting the full 060, so FPU is assumed to exist.
Old 31 March 2021, 00:02   #11
UberFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vypr View Post
The vampire one is the one I use least mostly because of hte need to have two monitors attatched to it, one for the RTG HDMI output and the other for the native Amiga output.

IMO, RTG is nice to have on a 1200 but there are so few programs that use it that it makes it pretty much useless. Youget a nice workbanch but that's about it.

If you dont want RTG, you only need one monitor.
Thats how I'm using my V1200, as an accelerator only.

You do understand that in order to get Amiga chipset output through HDMI they need to implement the entire chipset in the FPGA, right?
And then the Amiga becomes just a keyboard/mouse interface for the Vampire, so whats the point, just get a V4 standalone instead.
IMO the experimental Gold3 core was abandoned for good reason.
Old 31 March 2021, 10:33   #12
nikosidis

Is there any new accelerator to buy for A1200 except Vampire?

Back in the day I had Blizzard 030, Blizzard 060, Cyberstorm PPC etc. etc.
I'm pretty sure Vampire is at least no more compatible than Blizzard 060.
It all depends on what you are using the computer for but my all time fav.. and
what I have now is Blizzard IV 030. So compatible, not a single problem.
Old 31 March 2021, 12:21   #13
wiz12

Hopefully there will be a new supply of ACA cards available soon specifically the ACA1234 which Jens has promised will go into production late April.
Old 31 March 2021, 13:03   #14
grond

Gold3 has not been abandoned, work on it will resume once the V4 reimplementation of AGA is 100% accurate.

I use a small FullHD TV with my V1200 that has both HDMI and SCART inputs. Amiga RGB connects to SCART and V1200 RTG to HDMI. I still need to switch inputs with the TV's remote control but it doesn't really matter much. The V1200 is a mature product, people are complaining they aren't getting new cores but other than Gold3 can't name what feature or bug fix it should give them.
Old 31 March 2021, 13:51   #15
AMike

I have a few A1200s with different Turboboards from 020-060PPC and also an A1200 with V1200. Mostly I use either the A1230 or the V1200. A1230 has a simple 3.1.4 installation with WHDload and all the old Amiga games - it's a super straightforward and fast gaming system. The V1200 is the other end of the stick for RTG, Internet, emulators, demos and the games that need 060 power and RTG. The V1200 is fast, uncomplicated and passively cooled.

The question is what you want with the Amiga - just for the old games an 030 is perfectly sufficient.
Old 31 March 2021, 20:18   #16
ubermick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
The question is what you want with the Amiga - just for the old games an 030 is perfectly sufficient.
Unfortunately though, they are now exceedingly hard to find. The only modern 030 accelerator I can think of is the 1233n which is no longer in production - 1234 coming soon. All the rest of them are 060 or in the case of the Vampire FPGA rebranded as 080. (In fact, I think even the 1234 is going to be an 040)

The best option for a modern, open source 030 board would have been Terrible Fire, but after what some members of the community have pulled with him, will never happen (and understandably so.)
Old 01 April 2021, 00:04   #17
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Best solution for the two monitors argument it to use a TV with HDMI and Scart, then you can just change the channel.

I'm on the waiting list for a V1200 but I already have a V500 and I do like it but I tend to play on my A1200T (blizzard 060/Mediator) more.

If I just want to play a quick game my CD32 does the trick, that has a TF330 and is really quite a slick setup.
Old 06 April 2021, 21:48   #18
DarrenHD

I am in the process of finishing up my Vampire V1200 installation into my Escom Amiga 1200. It has been quite a bit of work to fit the Ethernet adapter and HDMI. And I'm still having trouble with the HDD LED - getting that to work through the normal Amiga 1200 LEDs.

You have to buy a very specific ethernet module, ribbon cable, and flat or smaller HDMI cable, then a special 3D printed part to fit it in the blank hole and fit it all inside the cramped space. It's certainly doable, and the finished product is great. The instructions on the Vampire wiki are pretty good. You have to follow them very closely. It's easy to order the wrong type of ethernet module or ribbon cable.

HDD LED is another issue where some of the 44-pin IDE to SD adapters won't give you proper LED output (it will be solid). There are relatively easy fixes for this but it does require some soldering. And I've found that not all CF or SD to IDE adapters are working in the V1200. It seems to be picky.

So if you want a plug and play accelerator maybe the Vampire is not the best choice IF you need ethernet and HDMI out nice and clean out of the A1200 case. (Note: you probably can do ethernet using the PCMCIA slot, but it may be slower, not sure).

Otherwise, the Vampire is fantastic for Speed and RTG, and the pre-made distros like Coffin are amazing. It will not disappoint and once you have it all setup it's basically the fastest closest thing you can get to a real 68k amiga. It will blow away any 060 accelerator for speed.
Old 06 April 2021, 21:51   #19
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Best solution for the two monitors argument it to use a TV with HDMI and Scart, then you can just change the channel.

I'm on the waiting list for a V1200 but I already have a V500 and I do like it but I tend to play on my A1200T (blizzard 060/Mediator) more.

If I just want to play a quick game my CD32 does the trick, that has a TF330 and is really quite a slick setup.
Agreed the CD32+TF330 is great for games! I have one of those also alongside my Vampire 1200/Amiga 1200.
Old 07 April 2021, 18:20   #20
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
I
what I have now is Blizzard IV 030. So compatible, not a single problem.
Keep that card! It is the best A1200 accelerator ever build imho.