English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 30 April 2010, 00:58   #41
laffer
Zone Friend

Monkey Island, got this game when I was... I think 9 years old or so.
And at that age I didn't know any English at all so that was a big problem

However after I got my hands on an English-Norwegian dictionary, I actually managed to progress a bit in the game (didn't finish the game until quite a while later though).

I'm amazed at the lenghts I would go just to play games back then
Old 30 April 2010, 02:04   #42
Mogilny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Most of the strategy games were too complicated for me with only Supremacy being possible to play at the time.It's great to go back to those games i struggled with because i'm much better at processing it all now.I was 22 about so it's easy to see why i might have struggled back then
It was the opposite for me, I loved Supremacy but never really got it, lol. But I managed to play the other strategy games such as Defender of the Crown.
Old 30 April 2010, 03:37   #43
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Two games that i remember pissing me off when i was younger were "Weird Dreams" and "Theme Park Mystery: Variations On A Theme"

I think i would probably get further if i played them again now though

Old 30 April 2010, 04:32   #44
laffer
Zone Friend

Another game that comes to mind is "It Came from the Desert". Never got far in that game as a kid, again not knowing English was a major obstacle.
But I still loved it to death and played it all the time, blowing away ants (and antheads in the sequel) was enough for me
Old 30 April 2010, 05:37   #45
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny View Post
It was the opposite for me, I loved Supremacy but never really got it, lol. But I managed to play the other strategy games such as Defender of the Crown.
Yeah wierd how it works.It's great now though if you want to play them again because it all seems more clear- i guess it's the same for most people too
Old 04 May 2010, 20:33   #46
Titler
Zone Friend

Another vote for Powermonger... and I had the boxed original with the manual. Part of the difficulty as I recall was that the game was so slow paced, and the sprites so tiny that even when you were following the manual, you couldn't really see the results. I think I conquered a few islands, but the idea of sitting there for weeks on end fiddling with icons and not having any noticeable fun really put me off... and it was such a shame, as I loved Populous, and a more in depth game based off it seemed so appealing!
Old 05 May 2010, 04:54   #47
Djay
95th User

Resolution 101 i got this free with a pack of ten blank discs (i also got Supercars from another pack)

didnt come with instructions.... i still have no clue what to do now

Frontier - soaked up 100 hours of my life, i made myself learn the game... i still have my original save file (20,000,000 credits, no cheating).. i played it the other day... i seem to have my lost pilot skills now

i got quite far in a *back-up* version of Mega-Lo-Mania (the tool tips really help)

Eye of the Beholder - Although i completed it a few times, going back to it now i really miss having a mini-map built into the game (like you get in modern games)
Old 05 May 2010, 09:46   #48
slk486
Registered Looser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
Eye of the Beholder - Although i completed it a few times, going back to it now i really miss having a mini-map built into the game (like you get in modern games)
Yes, but wasn't that part of the fun? Plotting the map on graph paper
I recall doing that extensively in bards tale... What a chore !
Old 05 May 2010, 09:52   #49
junkmanuk
1989 = win

I recall being given a copy of Starglider II.

It took ages to understand how to play it - but in the end I started enjoying it a lot. I still don't really know if I was playing it the right way...
Old 05 May 2010, 10:09   #50
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by slk486 View Post
Yes, but wasn't that part of the fun? Plotting the map on graph paper
I recall doing that extensively in bards tale... What a chore !
Done that for all the AD&D games. That was about 12-16 sheets per game. I think I still have them somewhere...
Old 05 May 2010, 10:12   #51
slk486
Registered Looser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Done that for all the AD&D games. That was about 12-16 sheets per game. I think I still have them somewhere...
Scan them, and let's see
Old 05 May 2010, 10:41   #52
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/dos...e/564800/50492
It was quite fun putting the info on those maps, but I can't say that I miss something since most games have an automap feature
Old 05 May 2010, 13:37   #53
sharprm

there was this amiga game where you built a training stage for a soldier. then you watched the soldier try to go through the training set.

I thought you actually got to play as the soldier (didn't realise I wasn't controlling him)

yeah that game sucked. Don't remember what it was claled.
Old 05 May 2010, 14:00   #54
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Action Service/Combat Course?
Old 05 May 2010, 18:59   #55
jotd
This cat is no more

Syndicate, could not pass level 2. Looks like a very good game and I have tried several times to get into it but no way (I completed Dune 2 and Cannon Fodder so I'm not completely stupid)

Populous, Powermonger, all of them I could not start. Well maybe Bullfrog games hate me

Chaos Engine 2 really lost me too, even if I completed the first opus.

Let's get back to the classics: Beast I and Beast II (Beast III was much better), Xenon.
And Heimdall, Darkmere (I thought it was another Cadaver but nooooo).
Old 07 May 2010, 09:19   #56
Benighted
Amiga = Metal!

I just watched a Weird Dreams playthrough by recordedamigagames on the tube, and I can fully understand why people couldn't understand what to do. The title speaks for itself.

Oil Imperium is an example for me. I never got into games like Sim City or Civilization either. Oh well, back to Turrican II.
Old 09 May 2010, 17:42   #57
danwood

All you people struggling with powermonger and syndicate need to revisit them trust me they are classic games. Personally i had massive problems playing most beat em up games , i didnt even bother getting any of the amiga ones because im so bad at them. However i was very good at 4d sports boxing for some reason maybe it was the 3d which made it easier for me?
Old 09 May 2010, 22:35   #58
Anemos
70X7

Captain Blood
with OUT manual ..
but i can't forgot the nicely galaxy trips..
Old 10 May 2010, 09:48   #59
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwood View Post
Personally i had massive problems playing most beat em up games , i didnt even bother getting any of the amiga ones because im so bad at them.
Or it could be because fighting games in general were crap on the Amiga as they were usually slow and had unresponsive controls... it took time getting used to it. I prefer using consoles for fighting games
Old 18 May 2010, 17:05   #60
sharprm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
yeah that was it. Hilarious reviews on lemon amiga:

I totally forgot I once owned this game. Not exactly a game actually, but just a waste of time.

yoritomo - 2008-10-23
For me it is not a game, no topic, no enemy, not any real combat, purely uninterresting and boring, i regret i did not buy another game instead

Another game didn't know how to play : Marble madness. Pressing down made the ball move down and to the left - I never understood that so would always move in a zigzggy way.

The immortal screwed me over the opposite with the level where you had to walk to avoid the worms. Of course a note would write directions in terms of the player of the game not the wizard!