Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 February 2020, 21:48   #41
DarrenHD

By the way, looks like WhichAmiga needs to be updated to identify the AA3000+
Old 18 February 2020, 21:55   #42
torsti76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkedrowitsch View Post
Why? I could see someone having a problem with the AmiBay/Ebay ripoff prices a particular seller asks for them, but...
Well, he wrote on multiple occasions that he thinks the card is a waste of precious 060s.

I certainly agree to that when it comes to the higher revisions of the CPU. But the card is a somewhat perfect fit for a revision 1 and - so far - is the only opensourced 060 accelerator for the big boxes.
Old 19 February 2020, 20:32   #43
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsti76 View Post
So, just to clarify: You guys got the reworked E3B firmware for the Prometheus up and running with a new version of the library and stuff from OpenPCI?

Just to add on this: you can see my video of upgrading the firmware on the Prometheus on YT. [ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 February 2020, 21:29   #44
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
Just to add on this: you can see my video of upgrading the firmware on the Prometheus on YT. [ Show youtube player ]
Thanks for the videos. Very nice to see the AA3000+ and the Prometheus with upgraded firmware working.

It's really amazing!
Old 19 February 2020, 21:41   #45
torsti76

Quote:
Really nice! Thank you for that. Now I only need all the files... ;-)
Old 21 February 2020, 15:11   #46
mousehouse

Awesome result, really nice...
Old 23 February 2020, 11:55   #47
Wrangler

I'm adding here my findings for how to get EHCI on USB working (sort of*) using ArakAttack on Prometheus with Firestorm firmware:
  1. You need a valid ArakAttack registration keyfile. Guido Mersmann, the author of ArakAttack, gave me a key and said I could freely distribute it, so let me know if you need it. Put it in a system directory like ENVARC: or DEVS:
  2. Download ArakAttack 1.23 from Aminet
  3. The installer in ArakAttack v1.23 has a bug in it. You need to edit the file ArakAttack.install as follows: after the line "(complete 50)" there is a line containing "10 NOGUI". Change that to "Prefs NOGUI" leaving everything else on that line unchanged. (Took me a while to work this one out )
  4. Double click the installer icon. This will install the drivers and register them (between 50% and 60% complete - if this doesn't happen, you have the keyfile in the wrong place).
  5. You need a USB stack such as Poseidon - this ought now to be able to connect to your USB card

I used an NEC USB card with 4 USB ports and this gave me 2 OHCI units and one EHCI unit.

* Now the drawbacks: for a reason I don't understand, although the EHCI opens fine straight after the driver is installed, it won't open after the machine is rebooted (although the OHCI units will)

And: even after all this, it's very slooooow. Like 150KB per sec read/write in SysSpeed. That's faster than the demo (unregistered) version but still not quick enough really to use

Not sure if it's possible to do anything to improve either drawback but if you work something out, let me know!
Old 23 February 2020, 13:50   #48
torsti76

Hi @Wrangler ,

thanks for the comprehensive explanation. I'd like the keyfile, please. Will send you my email address by PM.

Thank you again,
Torsten
Old 23 February 2020, 13:56   #49
torsti76

Quote:
I'm adding here my findings for how to get EHCI on USB working (sort of*) using ArakAttack on Prometheus with Firestorm firmware:

1. You need a valid ArakAttack registration keyfile. Guido Mersmann, the author of ArakAttack, gave me a key and said I could freely distribute it, so let me know if you need it. Put it in a system directory like ENVARC: or DEVS:
  3. The installer in ArakAttack v1.23 has a bug in it. You need to edit the file ArakAttack.install as follows: after the line "(complete 50)" there is a line containing "10 NOGUI". Change that to "Prefs NOGUI" leaving everything else on that line unchanged. (Took me a while to work this one out )
  4. Double click the installer icon. This will install the drivers and register them (between 50% and 60% complete - if this doesn't happen, you have the keyfile in the wrong place).
  5. You need a USB stack such as Poseidon - this ought now to be able to connect to your USB card

I used an NEC USB card with 4 USB ports and this gave me 2 OHCI units and one EHCI unit.

* Now the drawbacks: for a reason I don't understand, although the EHCI opens fine straight after the driver is installed, it won't open after the machine is rebooted (although the OHCI units will)

And: even after all this, it's very slooooow. Like 150KB per sec read/write in SysSpeed. That's faster than the demo (unregistered) version but still not quick enough really to use

Not sure if it's possible to do anything to improve either drawback but if you work something out, let me know!
Hmm, that's odd indeed. I'll try with a 5 port NEC card when I finally got around to building the AA3000+.
These cards are easily converted to "Spider" cards by changing some bits in their EEPROMs and work like a charm with the Mediators. They also have 3 units per device. Unfortunately, I won't get around to it too soon. But as soon as I do I'll report my findings here.
Old 23 February 2020, 17:47   #50
Wrangler

@Torsti76: you have mail
Old 23 February 2020, 18:16   #51
torsti76

Quote:
@Torsti76: you have mail
@Wrangler thank you very much!
Old 08 March 2020, 00:33   #52
matt3k

Does Radeon work on the AA3000+ ?
Old 08 March 2020, 00:57   #53
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt3k View Post
Does Radeon work on the AA3000+ ?
I don't think there is a driver for Radeon on the Prometheus, at least publicly released.

Edit, let me revise that - there is for OS4.1 Classic, not 3.x as far as I know. Radeon on Firestorm/Prometheus does work in OS 4.1 Classic.

Last edited by DarrenHD; 08 March 2020 at 02:05.
Old 08 March 2020, 02:58   #54
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsti76 View Post
Well, he wrote on multiple occasions that he thinks the card is a waste of precious 060s.

I certainly agree to that when it comes to the higher revisions of the CPU. But the card is a somewhat perfect fit for a revision 1 and - so far - is the only opensourced 060 accelerator for the big boxes.
My dream is an opensourced 060 card that includes both local RAM and a multi IO chip with all modern network/storage interfaces on headers (USB/Ethernet/SATA/etc.). Maybe a SoC if that simplified writing DMA drivers (with the SoC CPU driving the DMA).
Old 19 July 2020, 13:22   #55
SLD-SNaKe

I'm testing now my AA3000+ too.
I just flashed the new firestorm firmware using those links from Cosmos and taking a look at your video @Wrangler, thanks!

Quote:

I'm going to test some PCI cards and I saw those steps for the USB, could you send me that key too @Wrangler? Thanks a lot! (PM sent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
My dream is an opensourced 060 card that includes both local RAM and a multi IO chip with all modern network/storage interfaces on headers (USB/Ethernet/SATA/etc.). Maybe a SoC if that simplified writing DMA drivers (with the SoC CPU driving the DMA).

Maybe the future Warp 4060: USB, RTG, Wifi, SD... (IINM) on the CPU slot side. Allthough that won't be an opensourced option
Old 27 July 2020, 18:42   #56
Wrangler

@SLD-SNaKe: keyfile sent
Old 17 August 2020, 06:03   #57
DarrenHD

Hey guys just an update from me:

I have my AA3000+ now. I've managed to setup a 3D Labs Permedia 2 card (Creative Labs brand) to work with the Firestorm firmware. The only thing I can't get to work is DMA memory. I've added DMAsize=2048k to the monitor ToolType and also tried 512k, but DMAList says no DMA memory available. I wonder if it is supported on the Permedia 2?

I have a S3 card I could try, see if that works. No spare Voodoos unfortunately.

I also made a monitor switch cable (Thanks to Wrangler's video!) after much fiddly soldering I finally got it to work reliably.

Thanks for everyone's tips in this thread!
Old 17 August 2020, 20:39   #58
trixster
Guru Meditating

You might struggle with dma drivers for firestorm for S3 or permedia2 - I’ve only found drivers for voodoo3 so far
Old 18 August 2020, 02:53   #59
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
You might struggle with dma drivers for firestorm for S3 or permedia2 - I’ve only found drivers for voodoo3 so far
That's what I thought...the Permedia2 driver is not updated to support the DMA functions.
Old 19 August 2020, 21:23   #60
Wrangler

By the way, has anyone managed to get USB working better than in my post from Feb? If you have, I'd very much like to hear about it!