English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 08 December 2019, 09:33   #61
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Damn, you people can make one scared creating a game for the Amiga as a little hobby project...
Old 08 December 2019, 09:34   #62
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Damn, you people can make one scared creating a game for the Amiga as a little hobby project...
What a skill!
Old 08 December 2019, 10:48   #63
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
btw: 25Hz isn't a game killer. Apidya scrolls with 25Hz (50Hz objects though) too. And you wouldn't dare to say that it's boring or mediore.
Apidya is a prime example of 50 Hz action on the Amiga, be it scrolling or animation of objects.

Quote:
btw Richard: You wrote the Banshee review in Amiga Joker 9/94. You gave it 83%. "A genre highlight" was your summary. Yeah, Yeah, time can make you forget.
Yeah, that was what I wrote in my position as a responsible reviewer. At those times reviewing games in a german magazine meant to check a the quality of the game from a as neutral as possible position. What I wrote about Banshee must not be mixed up with my personal opinion.
Old 08 December 2019, 14:21   #64
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
When I saw these lush graphics / colours / pixels that invent had planned for use in the original Promixa, I was soooooooooo excited. Finally the Amiga was getting a proper arcade style shoot'em up:

I agree, those graphics look amazing!
Old 08 December 2019, 15:30   #65
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Apidya is a prime example of 50 Hz action on the Amiga, be it scrolling or animation of objects

No, it's not. It scrolls very slow in 25fps/25Hz. And Toni Wilen made a visible bar in WinUAE for his refresh rate indicator to verify it. See, you've already learned something new.

Quote:
Yeah, that was what I wrote in my position as a responsible reviewer. At those times reviewing games in a german magazine meant to check a the quality of the game from a as neutral as possible position. What I wrote about Banshee must not be mixed up with my personal opinion.
Is this really true? Then it's a real disappointment you put your name under so many reviews in the Amiga Joker. What it's worth if it doesn't reflect your own opinion? The Joker had enough other competent tester for action games.

One last advice: If you really want to know how good your games are you should ask in a specialized forum of hardcore shmups fans for it, e.g. here:

https://shmups.system11.org/

Send them a review copy though. Don't expect they've already purchased the game.

Quote:
From what i've read it's not a plain hobby anymore for Richard and his graphics & sound artists. So the expectations for quality can be different, compared to homebrew projects. You will be checked against other commercial games too.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 08 December 2019 at 17:17.
Old 08 December 2019, 20:05   #66
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
[...] At least when I give my opinion it is honest, and without anything to gain.
Old 08 December 2019, 20:11   #67
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I think "honest" opinions can be hurtful. I get that. But if it's my opinion which i believe....

Anyway, i think it will sell well again. Just like ReShoot R. But yes, not my cup of tea. And it's a bit sad i have to say this, because i'm a hardcore shmup fan too.
Old 08 December 2019, 23:20   #68
vbgd
Insider

Its correct that the homebrew project has to stand against the other commercial products within that moment when it gets sold for cash like the opponents.

The other point is that not every game need to fulfil the dreams of professional hardcoregamers. Otherwise normal gamers will quit and not buy the game. Have a look at Blood Money for Amiga, brilliant technic, but no fair gameplay for normal human beeings. A few friends of me like playing that and they train 3 months on each game. But thats not normal.

But the graphics look awesome, Richard. I'm looking forward whats coming up there.
Old 09 December 2019, 00:59   #69
Chrille

Quote:
No, it's not. It scrolls very slow in 25fps/25Hz. And Toni Wilen made a visible bar in WinUAE for his refresh rate indicator to verify it. See, you've already learned something new.
Sorry for being a little bit OT:
No, I think you are partly wrong Scrolling is at 25 Hz because you cannot scroll 1/2 Pixel with OCS/ECS, but it runs always at 50 FPS as it changes the screen buffers every 20 ms. Also you can see that at the end boss (the mantis at world 1), where Toni Wilens visible bar in WinUAE should also indicate that it runs at 50 FPS.

Also I think it does not matter if scrolling is slow or fast The important thing is the frame rate.

IIRC there are also some other levels where scrolling is faster.
Old 09 December 2019, 01:46   #70
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

This gets too OT, indeed. But i couldn't care less if maybe 20-25% scrolls of it really scrolls at 50fps/50 Hz or not. Apidya is a great game on OCS, optics and gameplay. And Bansee too, for what it is on AGA.
Old 09 December 2019, 19:15   #71
sandruzzo

Fully respect to buzzybee, and its' time spent to give us more Amiga games. Ok, Proxima3 look so incredible, maybe He can do another magic, to bring it into Reality, and give us another Great Amiga game!

Btw, I just gave him, my proxima3 project, plus Editor used to convert maps From TILED to amiga file...
Old 10 December 2019, 09:57   #72
buzzybee

Some postings in this thread kind of blocked my mind the past couple of days, for a number of reasons. Two positive things that came out of this though:
  • When doing my weekly running routine trough the mountainous area around here, I was so lost in thoughts that I accidentally did run up a hill which I usually walk. So I know now it can be done.
  • Thanks to invent and many other creative active minds here at EAB, with whom I exchanged views and thoughts in the past two days. Got a lot of backing from good people. Decided to get back to participating in discussions only, which have a positive or constructive vibe to them. I knew this makes sense in social media anyway, but forgot it for a moment and took some disrespectful comments and PNs personal.

Okay, now back to topic: sandruzzo was so kind and sent me his whole project. It contains the full sourcecode, a collection of pictures and many executables. Basically everything that happened in the past two or three years. Thanks for that, sandruzzo!

I´d love to keep as much of the hard work and many hours alive, that clearly went into this code. Unfortunately there is nothing playable on display, so nothing to migrate into my project here. Cannot use the Tiled-code too, because I got my own. It worked perfectly for Reshoot and RESHOOT R and does a perfect job for RESHOOT PROXIMA III already. I may merge some portions of the menu code though.

This way, not only will invents amazing pixels finally see the day of light in 2020, but also some of sandruzzos hard work.
Old 10 December 2019, 10:21   #73
manossg

Being new to the forum, I understand that there is some back story to this, but the impression I get is one of misery and petty ad hominem bickering that goes beyond the way of constructive feedback.

I think that, putting things into perspective, the important thing is not if Reshoot is a Euro, Japanese or a Pakistani shmup, or if it runs at 25, 50 or 364273 fps. The important thing, as I see it, is that talented people invest their time and creativity into creating new software (and hardware), homebrew or commercial, for the Amiga. And this is a great part of what keeps our beloved computer alive to this day.
Old 10 December 2019, 10:30   #74
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Some postings in this thread kind of blocked my mind the past couple of days, for a number of reasons. Two positive things that came out of this though:
  • When doing my weekly running routine trough the mountainous area around here, I was so lost in thoughts that I accidentally did run up a hill which I usually walk. So I know now it can be done.
  • Thanks to invent and many other creative active minds here at EAB, with whom I exchanged views and thoughts in the past two days. Got a lot of backing from good people. Decided to get back to participating in discussions only, which have a positive or constructive vibe to them. I knew this makes sense in social media anyway, but forgot it for a moment and took some disrespectful comments and PNs personal.

Okay, now back to topic: sandruzzo was so kind and sent me his whole project. It contains the full sourcecode, a collection of pictures and many executables. Basically everything that happened in the past two or three years. Thanks for that, sandruzzo!

I´d love to keep as much of the hard work and many hours alive, that clearly went into this code. Unfortunately there is nothing playable on display, so nothing to migrate into my project here. Cannot use the Tiled-code too, because I got my own. It worked perfectly for Reshoot and RESHOOT R and does a perfect job for RESHOOT PROXIMA III already. I may merge some portions of the menu code though.

This way, not only will invents amazing pixels finally see the day of light in 2020, but also some of sandruzzos hard work.
Willing to help woth proxima3. Maybe I can release a walkthrough demo

Last edited by sandruzzo; 10 December 2019 at 11:50.
Old 11 December 2019, 03:41   #75
sandruzzo

I had music too and some basic enemies system...
Old 11 December 2019, 07:52   #76
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Reading this thread, if I were Richard, I'd pack my things and go.
Old 11 December 2019, 09:07   #77
buzzybee

@sandruzzo: Yes, I got the music from saimon69 some weeks ago. We are in discussion as to wether the music fits or where we need to modify. As for the enemies system: Is there any built which actually shows the enemies system in action, or any moving objects for that matter? All the executables I tried display scrolling and a placeholder for player ship only.

@Steril707 and many others: Thanks for your backing. I know a lot of people follow this thread. I got a lot of positive feedback from the creative community. Many find it hard to understand what is going on here. Suddenly personal attacks and general misbehaviour seem to be tolerable within EAB. That´s a shame, even more so when one of the mods is the source. A mod should rather be a positive role model and lead a discussion. But DamienD decided otherwise.

To keep my mood and life happy, I decided to simply totally ignore DamienDs postings and PNs for a while. If there is a positive, even helpful suggestion hidden somewhere within all his not so kind words, may someone be so kind and forward it to me. Thanks a lot!

Meanwhile I reported this thread to the mods. According to the EAB rules, "Account termination" is due and "a member will be removed from the EAB if they" ... "Persistently troll specific users and/or projects" and "Personally attack other users". To me this seems the case right here. It´s up to the mods to set the tone within EAB

Last edited by buzzybee; 11 December 2019 at 09:16.
Old 11 December 2019, 10:00   #78
str0m

Only skim read this but with any released/planned game, if you don't like it, write your own?

Great that people are still making games. If you need some tips with vertical shooters buzzybee check out some of the many PC Engine ones, (Super) Star Soldier, Blazing Lazers, Soldier Blade and so on. PC Engine can move around a load of sprites but would be good to look at for inspiration.
Old 11 December 2019, 10:21   #79
DamienD
Banned

Ok, I've deleted some of my comments / opinions / others' replies, as to be honest there's really no point.

Life's too short and it was never my intention to make enemies; just to give my opinion that the new look / feel of the game isn't as good as previous...

Good luck with your game Richard and I won't comment again.

Last edited by DamienD; 11 December 2019 at 10:31.
Old 11 December 2019, 10:28   #80
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
Only skim read this but with any released/planned game, if you don't like it, write your own?

Great that people are still making games. If you need some tips with vertical shooters buzzybee check out some of the many PC Engine ones, (Super) Star Soldier, Blazing Lazers, Soldier Blade and so on. PC Engine can move around a load of sprites but would be good to look at for inspiration.
I love PC Engine. I played Gunhed and some other games on this console, but need to have a look at Blazing Lasers. Thanks a lot!