English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 May 2013, 11:23   #1
hydravox

issues with ide hard drive

hi

this has being doing my head in for the last few days

ive got a 30gb hitachi 2.5" IDE drive, and im installing classicwb adv on sfs partition

ive mounted the drive in winuae with the UAE controller, ive done everything the instructions say to the letter, the drive boots straight into classicwb in winuae but as soon as i put it into the amiga the screen just stays black, if i put the workbench 3.1 disk into the drive and boot into work bench the partitions are not listed but if i go into hdtools it sees the drive and partitions there, if i delete partitons and set as sfs using the workbench disks it still does not see the partitions but if i delete and create them using the normal file system it shows the partitons as dh0:sfs obviously wont access them because i aint formatted them.

now im completely stuck, i know the drive is ok just dont know what im doing wrong, and just for info the paritions i created where 1gb dh0 and the rest as dh1 it only sees the drive as 4gb but i presume thats down to not having idefix or whatever installed which im not too worried about at the moment.

thanks
Old 18 May 2013, 13:23   #2
emufan

since you are still in early stage, you may try pfs instead of sfs. [ Show youtube player ] , which explains lot of things, since you setup the hardrive with winuae, the video may help. the install disk, used in the video, you find in the video description.
Old 18 May 2013, 17:20   #3
hydravox

ill give that a try thanks emufan
Old 19 May 2013, 06:40   #4
Cymru

If you use an updated FFS (45.9 or 45.15), do these issues persist? And if you add an updated FFS to you RDB, and SFS or PFS (Aio), is it seen in your real Amiga?

I put OS3.9 on a 40 GB HDD in an A1200 without problems using OS3.1 then IDEFix for CDROM support, and finally OS 3.9.
Old 19 May 2013, 08:48   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Read http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61666

You won't be able to use more than 4G (or 7.8G if DirectSCSI filesystem) without scsi.device update. (separate update or OS3.9)
Old 19 May 2013, 12:18   #6
Turran

In short, since you're using ClassicWB (if not using OS 3.9)

Run WinUAE as administrator when working with physical harddrives.
Copy the scsi.device for your system from SYS:MyFiles\Install\LargeHD\128GB_Support\SCSI_v43_45_ChrisToni to DEVS: and rename it scsi.device
(can use another from the 128GB_Support drawer as well if you like. I just know it works with 43.45.)

Grab PFS3-AIO from aminet ( http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/pfs3aio )
Copy the pfs3_aio-handler to L:. I rename it PFS3-AIO but thats up to you.

Add a new file system. Specify L:PFS3-AIO
use the following values and do not forget to press enter after entering stuff for it to stick.

PFS\03 = 0x50465303

Mask = 0x7ffffffe (There are 6 f’s)
MaxTransfer = 0x1fe00
Blocksize = 512

To format, run SYS:\MyFiles\Install\LargeHD\128GB_Support\PFS3\tools\pfsformat
Example: pfsformat device DH1: Name Work Quick setfnsize 107

Keep DH0 (your boot disk) to below 4 GB or it will not work. What will happen is

1: System boots. If you skip startup-sequence, the scsi.device will not be loaded and you wont see any other partitions.
2: Otherwise, it will "loadmodule devs:scsi.device" and reboot, now seeing the whole thing.

Last edited by Turran; 19 May 2013 at 12:23.
Old 19 May 2013, 16:55   #7
Cymru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Read http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61666

You won't be able to use more than 4G (or 7.8G if DirectSCSI filesystem) without scsi.device update. (separate update or OS3.9)
Likely true as I just went to installing 3.9 and finalized with BB1-4 using the most recent BB#4.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:14   #8
hydravox

thanks for the help i finally managed to get it working took a while but its now booting in the amiga.
i deleted all partitions on the hd put the hd in the amiga and booted workbench created standard ffs partitions 1gb boot and 2.8gb second partition but did not format, then i connected the hd to the pc and ran winuae did all the usuall stuff to set up sfs and then formatted both partitions as sfs. then loaded and installed classicwb. all went well but then if i had classicwb and my hd loaded into winuae dosent matter what config i used it would boot to the hd so i had to create another virtual drive and copy classic workbench to that folder then using workbench copy it from the virtual folder to my hd and voila it worked a treat, now i just need to set it up to use a the rest of the hd put on the whdload games and set up my pcmcia card reader and im done finally.