English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 03 February 2011, 00:33   #61
Siggy999

Well if it's sending the files across it's working in some capacity - so your null modem cable is working - and you've gotten the needed software onto the amiga side, so in some capacity they are 'talking'.

Try double checking your com port settings on both the PC side and the Amiga side. See if lowering the baud rate its sending at helps, and of course reinstalling the software on the PC side.

It's been about 2 years since I set it up - but I did have a couple of initial hiccups. And after my latest house move I had a couple of com port errors when I first set it up, but it worked fine after double checking my cables and reinstalling the PC side of things...
Dumb luck? Fixed settings? Don't know, but it did the trick.
Old 03 February 2011, 06:53   #62
demoniac

You still might want to consider backing up the code onto a floppy in case the hard drive becomes unusable again and you haven't worked out the null modem cable issues. Hardware (especially HDDs) can fail.
Old 03 February 2011, 10:13   #63
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy999 View Post
Well if it's sending the files across it's working in some capacity - so your null modem cable is working - and you've gotten the needed software onto the amiga side, so in some capacity they are 'talking'.

Try double checking your com port settings on both the PC side and the Amiga side. See if lowering the baud rate its sending at helps, and of course reinstalling the software on the PC side.

It's been about 2 years since I set it up - but I did have a couple of initial hiccups. And after my latest house move I had a couple of com port errors when I first set it up, but it worked fine after double checking my cables and reinstalling the PC side of things...
Dumb luck? Fixed settings? Don't know, but it did the trick.
I tryed all that, i did only that the whole day yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
You still might want to consider backing up the code onto a floppy in case the hard drive becomes unusable again and you haven't worked out the null modem cable issues. Hardware (especially HDDs) can fail.
My 2 floppy drives are broken, guess was not a good idea to keep my Amiga all these years into the cellar.
Old 03 February 2011, 12:53   #64
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

not using electronics is already a good way to do damage, but a moist cellar is close to murder

Still a shame No way of doing the card reader trick earlier mentioned? EDIT: upon reading back that was already a no
Old 03 February 2011, 14:31   #65
Lord Riton

hip hip hurrah!

It finnaly works !

I got the idea to test it with my older PC which has a real serial 9B connector, and it worked !
So it was that USB/serial adapter that screwed all up.

Ok, now i will copy the whole HD from my Amiga (that might take some time !), then i will copy it on a DvD (or on CDs, not sure if that DVD drive i have in my old computer can also write DVDs, CD it can for sure).

Old 03 February 2011, 14:53   #66
seuden
uber cool demi god

Congratulations Lord Riton!!! Glad you got it sorted!!
Old 05 February 2011, 00:51   #67
Lord Riton

Ok, so now i have duplicated all my Real Amiga 1200 HD files to my PC.

I am now using WinUAE to continue the coding on QON, so my real Amiga can rest in peace, a little

There are just 2 things i don't like that much about winUAE:
- First, I really don't like how pixelized QON looks on my BIG and wide PC screen, but guess i will get used to that. I can only repeat myself, QON really looks 10x better on a real cathodic old TV !
- Also, i saw 2 bugs that only seems to exist in the winUAE version, and not on my real Amiga. These are about the sky wich sometimes seems to have "back-glitches", also the water moving effect doesn't work as well as on my real Amiga.

I will try to fix these bugs tommorow, and then build the town of "Nargoth" with the editor, and so to finnaly update the QON files, maybe tommorrow or the day affter
Old 05 February 2011, 00:56   #68
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

First of all : Great to hear you finally got it sorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
- Also, i saw 2 bugs that only seems to exist in the winUAE version, and not on my real Amiga. These are about the sky wich sometimes seems to have "back-glitches", also the water moving effect doesn't work as well as on my real Amiga.
It might be just some tweaking to your WinUAE config. Try to enable 'Cycle-exact' on the chipset panel (or switch it off). Just tweak some setting and see if they have an impact on the bugs (still worth to fix them of course ).
Old 05 February 2011, 23:18   #69
demoniac

Quote:
- First, I really don't like how pixelized QON looks on my BIG and wide PC screen, but guess i will get used to that. I can only repeat myself, QON really looks 10x better on a real cathodic old TV !
In WinUAE's Host -> Display preference, there's Scanlines option that you might want to try.

Cycle-exact mode's behavior could alter between WinUAE versions, so be warned.
Old 06 February 2011, 00:17   #70
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
This sounds like you're using SMC (self-modifying code). If that should be the case either disable all caches (but even that might not always help) or use "proper" (i.e. no self-modifying) code.
Old 06 February 2011, 02:04   #71
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
In WinUAE's Host -> Display preference, there's Scanlines option that you might want to try.

Cycle-exact mode's behavior could alter between WinUAE versions, so be warned.
That scanlines option is not bad, but i still preffer my real TV.

The cycle exact option does only slow all down horribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
This sounds like you're using SMC (self-modifying code). If that should be the case either disable all caches (but even that might not always help) or use "proper" (i.e. no self-modifying) code.
Am not using SMC.

The problem with the water animation bug came from the hardware rasterbeam X position i use to get a random number for each line of the water i draw. WinUAE does a great job emulating the Amiga and it's hardware, but of course it has it's limits. It can not update the raster beam x position as offten as it is updated in a real Amiga.
I fixed this bug today

Had no time to fix the other bug or to work on the Nargoth map, guess i will do this tommorrow.
Old 07 February 2011, 02:58   #72
Lord Riton

I finnaly updated QON, but it did not let me put the zip file as attachments, because it's over 1MB i guess, so i have created a project at sourceforge.net for QON.

You can download QON here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/qon...1.zip/download

It's zipped.

This time you should use the "Game' button, but the "Editor" button still works as well of course.

I created a fresh level and called it "Nargoth". It's of course not the definitive layout of the level, and even it's far from beeing a complete level, but it gives an idea on how it will look later i guess.

Tell me please if there are problems to download QON, it's the first time i use sourceforge
Old 08 February 2011, 21:27   #73
nujack
Zone Friend

I tried out the new demo and I was deep impressed about the quality. Such a new RPG for our beloved computer system would be really cool!!!
It was tested on an A4000/060 and speed was okay. I like the graphic and hope for a nice story and characters. Please keep up the good work Lord Riton.
Here are some screenshots:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p2070234.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	27835   Click image for larger version

Name:	p2070235.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	27836   Click image for larger version

Name:	p2070236.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	27837   Click image for larger version

Name:	p2070237.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	27838   Click image for larger version

Name:	p2070238.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	27839  

Click image for larger version

Name:	p2070239.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	27840   Click image for larger version

Name:	p2070240.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	27841  
Old 08 February 2011, 23:02   #74
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Looks indeed very interesting Hope I can find some spare minutes on the weekend to have a go.
Old 08 February 2011, 23:06   #75
frikilokooo

I want my face in the game too!!!,you will need a monster character,won't you?
Old 08 February 2011, 23:23   #76
amigoun

Works nicely on UAE, and the graphics are impressive, and the mooving sky + water, very good work!
Old 09 February 2011, 00:51   #77
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by nujack View Post
I tried out the new demo and I was deep impressed about the quality. Such a new RPG for our beloved computer system would be really cool!!!
It was tested on an A4000/060 and speed was okay. I like the graphic and hope for a nice story and characters. Please keep up the good work Lord Riton.
Here are some screenshots:
Thanks for the screen shots, they look better than the game actualy looks on my "pixelized" PC screen !

I tought about that problem, and i found a way to improve all 2D HAM8 graphics quality. So all graphics, beside the 3D view, should soon look better even on "pixelized" screens. The 3D view can't be improved like that because it's different RGB pixel components need to be in a certain order to be "animation compatible".

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikilokooo View Post
I want my face in the game too!!!,you will need a monster character,won't you?
lol I think there should be enough portraits to choose from for now. I can always add a fiew more later of course but this isn't a priority atm

Overall i will need to add a lot more textures for the game to be complete, but i think i will just add a fiew more, and some will be replacements for future textures. I will first focus on the game "mechanics"( fighting, underground exploration, item generation,NPCs+monster spawning and their moves,...) before i get to fill-up with new textures or later maybe also with sound or music. The game is miles from beeing finished
Old 10 February 2011, 13:39   #78
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Thanks for the screenies nujack. The game looks incredible (for a game from the Amiga era ) Makes me think fondly of Might & Magic 6/7 (two games I love a lot, regardless of their repetitive gameplay).
Old 13 March 2011, 02:12   #79
Lord Riton

It's been a while i didn't post on this thread. That doesn't mean i stopped to work on QON

I changed a fiew things:

- doubbled floor/sky pixel resolution. Altough the result is not as good as i was hoping, it's still a bit better especially when very close.
But because of this i lost my nice sky, and had a hard time to find another great one to replace it. Finnaly found one that is not bad, but it's a gray rainy sky this time

I had to replace all the floor/ceiling textures, and because i'm kinda a perfectionist it took me a lot of time doing this. I really don't like to find and handle textures, it's rather a hard and boring job for me. If i had a great graphics expert at my side that would make things go a lot faster i guess .. no this isn't a call for help, i want to do this all by myself ! so i can be proud of doing something all alone, for once

- I added the possibility to fall through holes , hmm well you will see that when i update QON the next time

- I fixxed a fiew bugs, some that you probably didn't notice anyway (but i assure you they were there ) , also the water is now completly free from bugs, same for the sky.

- I added underground textures, and of course an underground level. If you like Dungeon Master, you should like it too

I could update the files now so you could see all these changes now, but instead of that i want to add 2 more things before that.
Sorry i know, why do i tell you all this, when i don't also update the files at the same time ? Well , i just felt like i wanted to write something on the forum that is not against piracy

Will probably update the files in 2 or 3 days.. or so, see you then
Old 13 March 2011, 11:34   #80
frikilokooo

I'm eager to try it