English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 18 January 2011, 22:11   #21
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Or you could hook the HDD up to the PC and use WinUAE to boot it up

You can by an adapter from ebay for €2 if its a 2.5in HDD.

Steve.
Old 18 January 2011, 23:29   #22
Siggy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
Yes, i got all sources files i ever made on my amiga now ! (and i started kind a lot of projects.. finished only very fiew lol)

But sad news, seems my CD player on my amiga is broken. I have no clue how i can transfer files from my amiga to my PC now, it was my window to the internet
Amiga Explorer and a null modem cable or if you have an ethernet adapter, use that.

You'll be able to transfer files directly from your Ami to your PC and back again easily. I use this over a null modem cable all the time to test things I'm writing using WinUAE on my A2000. It's kind of nice using an insanely speedy emulator for development, and easily testing the code on the real thing (saving wear and tear on my old and fragile machine).
Old 18 January 2011, 23:31   #23
Lord Riton

Compress to floppy disks would not help me a lot, my actual PC has no floppy drives.

I'm also affraid of taking my HD of my Amiga to put it into my PC , I'm a software developper but a Hardware total noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy999 View Post
Amiga Explorer and a null modem cable or if you have an ethernet adapter, use that.
That sounds a lot better to me, don't think i have such a cable tough, will try to learn about this with google.

Edit: ok found this: http://www.tech-faq.com/wp-content/u...odem-Cable.jpg
and this: http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/...ull_modem.html

Last edited by Lord Riton; 18 January 2011 at 23:39.
Old 18 January 2011, 23:39   #24
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy999 View Post
That sounds a lot better to me, don't think i have such a cable tough, will try to learn about this with google.
Amiga Explorer

Null Modem Cable

Edit: Amiga Explorer must be used with a null modem cable which matches the specification given in the above link.

Amiga Explorer is an excellent program for making all the files on your Amiga available to your PC via a Windows Explorer type interface, but it is slow because it uses a serial link. Copying the entire content of a hard drive to your PC is really a "leave it running overnight" job.

Last edited by prowler; 18 January 2011 at 23:46.
Old 18 January 2011, 23:46   #25
Lord Riton

Thank you Prowler, will try to read all this tommorow, am just a little bit to tired for today
Old 18 January 2011, 23:52   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just had a look. It seems you can only load the editor and not the game? When I try to start a new game it just would return to the character choosing screen? (sorry my French is a tad rusty )
Old 19 January 2011, 00:11   #27
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Just had a look. It seems you can only load the editor and not the game? When I try to start a new game it just would return to the character choosing screen? (sorry my French is a tad rusty )
Ja genau Es funktioniert leider nur Der Editor in Dieser Version, aber auch Der ist weit weg von fertig.
Old 19 January 2011, 00:20   #28
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ja genau Es funktioniert leider nur Der Editor in Dieser Version, aber auch Der ist weit weg von fertig.
Quick translation for English-only members:

Yes, exactly Unfortunately, only the editor works in this version, but even that is far from finished.
Old 19 January 2011, 07:19   #29
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yep, please keep it in English and thanks for the answer Lord Riton Looking forward to see more from that game.
Old 19 January 2011, 07:38   #30
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Or you could hook the HDD up to the PC and use WinUAE to boot it up
Personally i would never recommend doing this with a HD that contains any important data.
Old 19 January 2011, 08:28   #31
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
Personally i would never recommend doing this with a HD that contains any important data.
Don't tell that to criminal investigators. They've been doing it wrong all these years, plugging evidence drives to other computers and making images.. :-)
Old 19 January 2011, 09:32   #32
kriz

This is cool! Welcome back, hope you will be able to backup these sources and maybe even continue abit with this game !
Old 19 January 2011, 11:41   #33
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Don't tell that to criminal investigators. They've been doing it wrong all these years, plugging evidence drives to other computers and making images.. :-)
Maybe they use linux? I understand that it probably works fine for most people...
but a PC killed my 8.4 GB (choc full of goodness) amiga hard-drive when i tried to hook-up to winuae!

Anyway, this is very interesting, i wonder what might come of it
Old 20 January 2011, 14:10   #34
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Amiga Explorer

Null Modem Cable

Edit: Amiga Explorer must be used with a null modem cable which matches the specification given in the above link.

Amiga Explorer is an excellent program for making all the files on your Amiga available to your PC via a Windows Explorer type interface, but it is slow because it uses a serial link. Copying the entire content of a hard drive to your PC is really a "leave it running overnight" job.
I tried to find a such null modem cable today, none of the stores i was in had one. and beside that i would need also an USB-->serial9 connector adapter (saw a such one for 24 Euros *ouch*, didn't buy it. ) because my PC has no serial port connector.

Now i saw another solution that was to buy a PCMCIA flash card adapter, but then i realized i have no access to my PCMCIA connector on my amiga 1200 because i mounted it on a tower..

There is another idea i have now, to buy a external floppy drive for my PC and so to simply echanges through 720k floppy disks. But didn't find a such one either.. guess i will have to look for that on E-bay or somewhere else on the net..

I could also try to take the floppy disk drive out of my old first PC ( a K6-2 333Mhz PC), but i'm a total fearsome hardware newbie so i'm a bit affraid of doing this, as long as my Pc works i never open it )
Old 20 January 2011, 14:49   #35
deicidal
Registered Insane

I got my USB to Serial adaptor of ebay for a couple of quid I think

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_trkpa...&_sop=15&_sc=1
Old 20 January 2011, 17:43   #36
Lord Riton

Ok, i bought a Null modem cross cable with 4 connectors (2 9b and 2 25b, all females) also an USB/RS232(male) adapter on Ebay. Let's hope they will soon find their way to me.

Could take a fiew days, i don't know, only ever buyed one thing on Ebay, and that was long time agoo.

The sellers had 99 and 98.7% good comments, so hopefully these guys are trusty enough
Old 20 January 2011, 18:09   #37
deicidal
Registered Insane

Have to be honest I bought loads of that cheap stuff off ebay and I have never had any problems
Old 20 January 2011, 20:41   #38
Cammy

I use the same combination of a 4-plug null modem cable (2x9 and 2x25 pin connectors) with a cheap USB adapter to go online with my A600 through a Linux host. Very handy cable combination to have.

Good luck with the transfer, I'm looking forward to seeing what you made back then, and hope it can be continued!
Old 23 January 2011, 15:57   #39
Lord Riton

My 4-plug null modem cable came today !

Now i just need the usb/9pin adapter, the guy from whom i buyed it told me in a mail that it can take a fiew days more than expected initialy, because of problems the Hong-Kong poste has actually..
Old 23 January 2011, 16:03   #40
deicidal
Registered Insane

Stuff coming from hong kong at the moment is just taking forever