English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Music

Old 16 April 2010, 09:05   #21
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
Not 100% sure about this, though.
Open FT2, save MOD, open PT, open MOD, be 100% sure (it works )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
And about the "tweak MOD" thing I wrote earlier: You're right, something was wrong there. What I meant was: If the tracker can handle >4 ch MODs (Open ModPlug Tracker can do this), then you can open a XM, convert to MOD, *then* merge the channels to 4 and stuff
Well PT can't. Really, the *best* way to convert those XMs would be to rewrite them on PT. Will take quite some time, but it'll make sure there are no unintended effects (in or left out) and you'll have WYHIWY, instead of various rechecks if the work you've done in a XM compatible tracker will sound okay in PT (or the desired replayer). Anyway, I hope phx finds someone that is up for the task and that finds a way to do it properly
Old 16 April 2010, 09:43   #22
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

All this "load XM into tracker x and save as mod" is quite useless indeed since the result will be anything but good. XM != MOD. As simple as that. You'll need a musician to convert it.
Old 16 April 2010, 10:39   #23
mld
uade team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Not really. Saving as a mod in FT2 and using it in PT can have side effects. I bet that mld knows what he talks about here
oh, well. I had sleepless nights and people looked worried when I mumbled "it's not noisetracker! it can't be, but it looks like one..." in the streets ;-)

semi Offtopic: I think milky saves with m.k. but I'd have to check to be 100% sure. At least I haven't seen 4ch mods with a 4chn tag so far.

as stingray and the cyberdruid: imho, don't export any mods in milky or ft2 or modplugtracker or any other pc tracker in mod format. Use their fileformat like XM, because MOD is limited. If you have to use mods use Protracker to recompose.

About how to "join" channels or how to proceed at all, I can't give good advice
Old 16 April 2010, 12:22   #24
daxb

If someone really wants to try to convert XM to mod, IMHO the best/easiest way is to load the XM into DigiboosterPro (first check if it sounds/plays equal in FT2/DBP). At least ~95% of converting work can be done in DBP. If done save it as MOD and load it into PT for remain work. There is no 100% guaranty that all works but near to it. As already said it depends on the source XM.

If you send me an example XM you want to be a MOD, I will have a look and tell if it is possible or how much work you must invest. I can`t do the fist step (check if it sounds/plays equal in FT2/DBP) because I havn`t access to PC + FT2. However, shouldn`t be the problem.

Maybe some stuff can be done in FT2 already?
Old 16 April 2010, 16:29   #25
phx
Natteravn

First of all thanks for all the helpful comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
If someone really wants to try to convert XM to mod, IMHO the best/easiest way is to load the XM into DigiboosterPro (first check if it sounds/plays equal in FT2/DBP).
Hmm.. just checked it. DBPro requires AGA and is commercial?

Quote:
At least ~95% of converting work can be done in DBP. If done save as MOD and load it into PT for remain work.
But that sounds quite interesting! Saving such a big part of work would be extremely valuable.

Quote:
If you send me an example XM you want to be a MOD, I will have a look and tell if it is possible or how much work you must invest.
Thanks. I might come back to it when I got the source and the original XMs. But I have to check first if I'm allowed to send single files to a 3rd person.
Old 16 April 2010, 16:42   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
DBPro requires AGA and is commercial?
No and yes : http://www.digiboosterpro.de/dbp.php (at least AGA isn't mentioned).
Note that 'saving such a big part of work' is relative phx. It really depends on the XM which way is 'faster' and if the result will sound okay afterwards is another question. Rebuilding it can be much faster than 'downgrading' and fixing it in DBP or FT2.
Old 16 April 2010, 16:50   #27
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Note that 'saving such a big part of work' is relative phx. It really depends on the XM which way is 'faster' and if the result will sound okay afterwards is another question. Rebuilding it can be much faster than 'downgrading' and fixing it in DBP or FT2.
Probably. Provided I find a good musician.
Maybe I should ask my brother, who was quite talented with Protracker. But that was more than 15 years ago and he has never seen Fasttracker (neither did I ).
Old 16 April 2010, 19:44   #28
Amiga1992

Having in mind time constrains, if you give me a look at the XMs I could be up for the chalenge of making the conversion to MOD
Old 29 October 2011, 00:15   #29
ImmortalA1000

I have a 4 channel XM with 8bit samples I wish could be played on my A1000 in FT or PT. Effects heavy.

[ Show youtube player ]

(my transcode/remastered WAV used for video)
Old 29 October 2011, 02:39   #30
musojon74

I might be able to do this conversion if anyone wants.

Last edited by prowler; 29 October 2011 at 20:36. Reason: Deliberate back-to-back posts merged! :(
Old 29 October 2011, 11:47   #31
daxb

@phx:
Some news about your project or XM to mod conversion? Would be nice to know. At least after some people offered help.
Old 08 November 2011, 21:25   #32
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

@Thread

I've done XM to Module conversions as a 2 step process. The first step is to use XM2MED to import it into OctaMED SoundStudio. You can then do whatever editing you need to from there to export it to Protracker format. You'll have to do most of the work yourself though, as has been said before.
Old 08 November 2011, 23:24   #33
daxb

You can do that in one Step by using DBP (load XM, edit and save it).
Old 18 November 2011, 22:40   #34
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by musojon74 View Post
I might be able to do this conversion if anyone wants.
Please do, much appreciated
Old 20 November 2011, 13:02   #35
musojon74

Ok we got the original to play with?
Old 23 June 2013, 21:05   #36
mr_lou

It's been nearly two years, and I just stumbled across this thread while browsing.

How did it go? Did you ever get the XM files converted into MODs?

I had to write a reply since the topic is something I find interesting: Creating multiple file-format versions of music.

I created a 16-channel XM track once, and decided to try to "port" it to a 4-channel MOD file. I used the make-long-samples approach, and I think the result turned out fine.
http://www.indiegamemusic.com/viewtrack.php?id=73

I used Milkytracker for this. Great tool for many platforms, and very faithful to both XM and MOD format.

Old 24 June 2013, 01:30   #37
daxb

I really like "mod.mister lou".
Old 24 June 2013, 17:32   #38
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lou View Post
How did it go? Did you ever get the XM files converted into MODs?
Not automatically. But yes, I did.

The game I considered to port to OCS Amigas was Giana's Return. Some time later (nearly two years) I decided to try it with Sqrxz for the beginning. But the problem with XM to MOD conversion was the same.

Alexander Wiklund did a good job to convert them to Protracker MOD format.

SqrxzOCS had been released last summer.
Old 25 June 2013, 15:36   #39
mr_lou

Thanks daxb. :-) That's an old nostalgic one.

Nice phx. Yea, automatically converting from XM to MOD is a tricky one. I don't know how Alexander did it, but the job was definitely made easier for me by Milkytracker.
It allowed me to have two tracks open at the same time, and copy from one track to the other.

I'll have to take a look at those games some time. Especially if they'll run on a plain A500 or A1200. Me and my mates have a retro-gaming day at least once a year, where we bring the real machines and play the retro games all day. :-)
Not just Amiga. Everyone brings the machine they grew up with. It's a really nostalgic and cosy event. :-)

Old 29 June 2013, 13:22   #40
Gaula92

Hi, phx!

I have both Sqrx and Sqrx2 on my Minimig Amiga (plain 68000 at 7/50 Mhz) and they work but there's something wrong with the framerate auto-adjustment these games seem to have: they run at 12FPS in 7Mhz mode, wich is about right I guess, but when I swich to 50Mhz mode, they run sometimes at full refresh rate (50FPS) and others they run at 12FPS. They switch framerate when I get killed, for example, so when I start with a new life, I get 12 or 50FPS, wich is pretty confusing.
Can I somehow specify a target FPS or can souch a feature be added?

thanks!