English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 31 August 2020, 21:49   #861
lmimmfn
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Mullingar
Posts: 143
Would booting from pcmcia be a possibility?
lmimmfn is offline  
Old 01 September 2020, 09:47   #862
Rotzloeffel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wolfach / Germany
Posts: 63
No,.. Therefore the driver must be in ROM, which is not
Rotzloeffel is offline  
Old 01 September 2020, 17:32   #863
duga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzloeffel View Post
No,.. Therefore the driver must be in ROM, which is not
Luckily, A600 & A1200 can handle 1 MB ROMs (and 2MB too) if boot from PCMCIA is wanted in a future release beyond 3.2.
duga is offline  
Old 01 September 2020, 18:03   #864
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 4,862
Well, booting from PCMCIA is a possibility. Booting from one of those cheap CF card adaptors is not. With some funky hardware you could boot a small, minimal system that loads the drivers needed and passes control over to the inserted CF card. I'm sure there was an external hard drive that worked that way in the past... But it would be much cheaper and easier to burn a custom ROM with the necessary drivers.
Daedalus is offline  
Old 01 September 2020, 19:21   #865
Mikerochip
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ireland
Posts: 273
external hhd and external cdrom
Mikerochip is offline  
Old 01 September 2020, 23:13   #866
lmimmfn
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Mullingar
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Well, booting from PCMCIA is a possibility. Booting from one of those cheap CF card adaptors is not. With some funky hardware you could boot a small, minimal system that loads the drivers needed and passes control over to the inserted CF card. I'm sure there was an external hard drive that worked that way in the past... But it would be much cheaper and easier to burn a custom ROM with the necessary drivers.
This is my thinking also, but people burning custom roms is basically sayibg it should be in the OS.
Really at this stage the possibility should be in the rom.
lmimmfn is offline  
Old 02 September 2020, 05:37   #867
ancalimon
Supernormal

ancalimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Istanbul / Turkey
Age: 39
Posts: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
I'm not so foolish to give a release date at this time, and to make announcements of things that are not yet working to my full satisfaction. Things will be ready when they are ready. However, to give you a tentative estimate, a release this year is highly likely.

To make another announcement of things that are in a state "ready enough to make an announcement", we will have a CVisionPPC driver as well. However, the chip the cvision is based on lacks a necessary hardware feature to support screen dragging. Thus, no screen dragging support for this card, sorry.

ancalimon is offline  
Old 02 September 2020, 19:38   #868
AC/DC HACKER!
Registered User

AC/DC HACKER!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SCC-NAC-dC-iNT
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
I'm not so foolish to give a release date at this time, and to make announcements of things that are not yet working to my full satisfaction. Things will be ready when they are ready. However, to give you a tentative estimate, a release this year is highly likely.

To make another announcement of things that are in a state "ready enough to make an announcement", we will have a CVisionPPC driver as well. However, the chip the cvision is based on lacks a necessary hardware feature to support screen dragging. Thus, no screen dragging support for this card, sorry.

So, some time in rest of 2020 is highly likely. Sweet!


I primarily use the CVisionPPC for games. Sometimes using the Workbench for 3D displays. Mostly I use Picasso 4..screen dragging works great there, so I'm not concerned CVisionPPC won't support it. Having it functional to use P96 only vs swapping..is excellent news. I made 2 scripts to <-> P96 (newer) and CGX4.


Soooo...
AC/DC HACKER! is offline  
Old 09 September 2020, 16:24   #869
ancalimon
Supernormal

ancalimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Istanbul / Turkey
Age: 39
Posts: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
So, some time in rest of 2020 is highly likely. Sweet!


I primarily use the CVisionPPC for games. Sometimes using the Workbench for 3D displays. Mostly I use Picasso 4..screen dragging works great there, so I'm not concerned CVisionPPC won't support it. Having it functional to use P96 only vs swapping..is excellent news. I made 2 scripts to <-> P96 (newer) and CGX4.


Soooo...
I dont care about 3d games at all on classics. Just having it run at least as fast and compatible with the new intuition would be enough.
ancalimon is offline  
Old 10 September 2020, 07:29   #870
Rotzloeffel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wolfach / Germany
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
I dont care about 3d games at all on classics. Just having it run at least as fast and compatible with the new intuition would be enough.
This works perfect actually
Rotzloeffel is offline  
Old 11 September 2020, 00:36   #871
ancalimon
Supernormal

ancalimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Istanbul / Turkey
Age: 39
Posts: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzloeffel View Post
This works perfect actually
If someone really wants to play an old game, he can always create a script that converts things to cgx4 and exchanges new intuition with the old old one and and cold reboot... And vice versa.
ancalimon is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AmigaOS 3.1.x v 3.9 steve_mynott New to Emulation or Amiga scene 35 19 April 2020 06:23
AmigaOS 3.9 PoLoMoTo support.WinUAE 8 27 August 2011 18:06
AmigaOS 3.5 or 3.9 maddoc666 support.Apps 12 22 February 2010 08:02
AmigaOS koncool request.Apps 6 04 June 2003 17:45
AmigaOS XL sturme New to Emulation or Amiga scene 4 15 January 2002 02:13

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.11160 seconds with 15 queries