English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 December 2009, 14:04   #1
ancalimon
Supernormal

M1438S Horizontal Position

I can set vertical position but there is no adjustment switch for horizontal position (or is it vertical position? ). Any idea how to do it?
Old 12 December 2009, 18:32   #2
fc.studio
Cat lover

I used a tool found on Aminet and I got a very good position screen and an wider resolution for this monitor (720x512 DBLPAL).
I don't remember exactly the name of the tool, but probably is MonEd. You'll be able to change default value for the driver but please consider that excessive changes to these values COULD DAMAGE YOUR MONITOR.
Old 13 December 2009, 11:44   #3
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc.studio View Post
I used a tool found on Aminet and I got a very good position screen and an wider resolution for this monitor (720x512 DBLPAL).
I don't remember exactly the name of the tool, but probably is MonEd. You'll be able to change default value for the driver but please consider that excessive changes to these values COULD DAMAGE YOUR MONITOR.
How exactly could adjusting the screen centering damage the monitor?

Paul
Old 13 December 2009, 12:05   #4
Bloodwych

On this monitor, there is a horizontal centre dial, but no horizontal stretch or screen mode memory which is annoying.

To get more screen space used in DBl-PAL/Productivity etc, which leave black borders left and right, you have to use some custom frequencies which is what the software fc.studio is referring to does.

Using custom frequencies can damage a monitor, but as long as you check the specs out and remain in the zone, you should be fine.
Old 14 December 2009, 23:42   #5
ancalimon
Supernormal

Is there a similar and still produced monitor like M1438? That we can use Pal, Multiscan, dblpal etc...
Old 15 December 2009, 03:19   #6
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I remember on my old Philips monitor there was a horizontal adjust dial on the front behind the flap and a couple of small dials on the back of the monitor which include the vertical adjustment. I found it to be a pain having to reach to the back of the screen to adjust it! I dont see why all the display dials couldn't be at the front
Old 15 December 2009, 10:36   #7
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
Is there a similar and still produced monitor like M1438? That we can use Pal, Multiscan, dblpal etc...
There are (were, no manufactured now) M1538S (same dimensions of 1438S but 15" instead of 14" - Final "S" means to have Stereo Speaker) and M1764 (17" - no stereo speakers). They came from Amiga Inc.

A previous model call M1438 came from Microvitec and it was without Stereo speaker.
Old 16 December 2009, 17:48   #8
ancalimon
Supernormal

I wonder if I can mod the monitor to have these additional two adjust dials for the missing adjustments.
Old 16 December 2009, 17:56   #9
Bloodwych

The thing is, even if you manage to add a dial, without memory you will have to use it everytime you switch between PAL/NTSC 15Khz and Productivity 30Khz screenmodes.

Perhaps that's why they didn't add one. Strange decision however, as every PC monitor of that era had a full set of controls.
Old 16 December 2009, 18:54   #10
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
The thing is, even if you manage to add a dial, without memory you will have to use it everytime you switch between PAL/NTSC 15Khz and Productivity 30Khz screenmodes.

Perhaps that's why they didn't add one. Strange decision however, as every PC monitor of that era had a full set of controls.
You're right: That was a strange decision.
However, on using Overscan Pref and that tool (MonEd?), I configured my A1200 to have DBLPAL for WB and PAL for games BOTH in a very good central position of the screen.
I didn't use Productivity since I considered DBLPAL better for my WB.
When, from my DBLPAL WB, I launched a game requiring a PAL screen the Monitor perfectly auto-detected the new screenmode with the position I set and saved. Leaving the game the WB with DBLPAL screenmode perfectly came back.
Old 16 December 2009, 19:00   #11
Bloodwych

I think I used a custom DBL-PAL mode on my M1438 back in the day.

That monitor was massively expensive by todays standards. How far we have come.
Old 16 December 2009, 19:19   #12
fc.studio
Cat lover

I bought one from Germany/Vesalia about 6-7 years ago. It was used but in excellent condition, probably it was refurbished. It came with its original box. I spent about eur 80 shipping cost included. After software configuration I was very satisfied with it.
Unfortunately about 2 years ago it began to have the screen "jumping" and to stop some light knocks were required. It was not an elegant solution, but often this worked.