English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 May 2018, 05:58   #1
Amifan23

Hooooo How to run 68k classic software on Amiga OS 4.1 in WinUAE ?

Hello - I installed Amiga OS 4.1 FE on WinUAE ( Amiga Forever ), but have issues when running the old 68k software - I read that OS 4.1 comes with "Petunia" and "Run in UAE" emulators - Cannot find that "Petunia" emulator, instead I found "Run in UAE" inside folder "Emulation", but when I start 68k software using "Run in UAE", the software doesn´t display well on screen - It uses only the center of the screen and doesn´t display fullscreen - Some programs just crash the Amiga OS 4.1 system - How do I have to manage to run properly those 68k programs on Amiga OS 4.1 ?
Old 15 May 2018, 06:45   #2
towo2099

It doesn't make many sense to run uae inside of uae.
Old 15 May 2018, 08:19   #3
Amifan23

Quote:
Originally Posted by towo2099 View Post
It doesn't make many sense to run uae inside of uae.
Yes I know it doesn´t make sense, but I wanted to try Amiga OS 4.1, so do you mean it only works fine with 68k software on real hardware ?
Old 15 May 2018, 17:00   #4
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Petunia is built into OS4, it is a transparent 68K emulator. System-compliant Classic Amiga software should, in theory, be runnable from the CLI or Workbench of OS4 just like OS4 software is. (In my experience, compatibility is somewhat worse than running the same software under OS3.9.) Petunia is the component that translates the CPU instructions. You don't need to look for it, it will run automatically in the background if needed.

For anything that bangs the hardware (eg. most old games) you will need to use UAE. But using UAE inside UAE will be very slow.

Last edited by Minuous; 15 May 2018 at 17:51.
Old 15 May 2018, 18:54   #5
Amifan23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Petunia is built into OS4, it is a transparent 68K emulator. System-compliant Classic Amiga software should, in theory, be runnable from the CLI or Workbench of OS4 just like OS4 software is. (In my experience, compatibility is somewhat worse than running the same software under OS3.9.) Petunia is the component that translates the CPU instructions. You don't need to look for it, it will run automatically in the background if needed.

For anything that bangs the hardware (eg. most old games) you will need to use UAE. But using UAE inside UAE will be very slow.
Thanks for your reply - Now it is more clear for me how the Petunia emulator works, I will try to run the 68k software in the Amiga OS4.1 Cli or Workbench to see if it works
Old 15 May 2018, 21:51   #6
White

@ Hi Amifan23,
what hardware do you use to emulate RunInUAE?
What do you use UAE X1000 or UAE-SDL?
What version do you use?
thank you.
Old 16 May 2018, 08:34   #7
Amifan23

Quote:
Originally Posted by White View Post
@ Hi Amifan23,
what hardware do you use to emulate RunInUAE?
What do you use UAE X1000 or UAE-SDL?
What version do you use?
thank you.
Hi, I run AmigaOS 4.1 within WinUAE 3.6.0.0 on a Windows 10 Intel PC ( WinUAE 3.0.0.0 is very slow on my PC ) - When I am in OS 4.1, I start the emulator RunInUAE but have issues running 68k software as explained in my previous message - UAE X1000 is used on AmigaOne ppc hardware, isn´t it ?

Last edited by Amifan23; 16 May 2018 at 08:57.
Old 16 May 2018, 09:17   #8
White

Hi Amifan23,
WinUAE 3.6.1 and the program you use to emulate os amiga with windows.
UAE is the executable to run programs written for 68k with 4.1 through RunInUae.
There are two executables UAE (sdl) and UAE-X1000 to emulate the 68k under 4.1

UAE (sdl) works in full screen
UAE-X1000 at the moment only in the window, at least for me.
With the latest 1.0 versions you can enable the JIT which speeds up the emulation a lot.
Here you find a package with which you can experiment:
https://tinyurl.com/yakwe3c8
UAE would be the X1000 version, while UAE1 and the SDL version.
If you intend to use them for testing, make a backup copy of your work.
You can try both versions as long as you rename UAE the version you want to use and overwrite your version.
Here you can find some examples if it can be useful:

Also you are using AmigaForever as you said.
It would be better to directly use WinUAE directly, to work better AmigaForever and less flexible, but this remains your personal choice.

Also as you have been advised it makes little sense to use winUAE for windows with RunInUae with 4.1
But if the 4.1 is well configured and fun to use it with RunInUae.
I hope it is useful.
Here are some suggestions and guides if you want to learn more:
[ Show youtube player ]

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=91368
Old 17 May 2018, 18:32   #9
Amifan23

Quote:
Originally Posted by White View Post
Hi Amifan23,
WinUAE 3.6.1 and the program you use to emulate os amiga with windows.
UAE is the executable to run programs written for 68k with 4.1 through RunInUae.
There are two executables UAE (sdl) and UAE-X1000 to emulate the 68k under 4.1

UAE (sdl) works in full screen
UAE-X1000 at the moment only in the window, at least for me.
With the latest 1.0 versions you can enable the JIT which speeds up the emulation a lot.
Here you find a package with which you can experiment:
https://tinyurl.com/yakwe3c8
UAE would be the X1000 version, while UAE1 and the SDL version.
If you intend to use them for testing, make a backup copy of your work.
You can try both versions as long as you rename UAE the version you want to use and overwrite your version.
Here you can find some examples if it can be useful:

Also you are using AmigaForever as you said.
It would be better to directly use WinUAE directly, to work better AmigaForever and less flexible, but this remains your personal choice.

Also as you have been advised it makes little sense to use winUAE for windows with RunInUae with 4.1
But if the 4.1 is well configured and fun to use it with RunInUae.
I hope it is useful.
Here are some suggestions and guides if you want to learn more:
[ Show youtube player ]

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=91368
Yes, while searching in the web this post came up and I found it very interesting. I downloaded all the tutorial videos, but they were a bit difficult for me to follow, I must reckon I am not an advanced user, just have an average knowledge about Amiga OS.
I could make an Amiga OS 4.1 hardfile using Amiga Forever just because I followed some instructions I found in the web, but I am using this hardfile I created, inside a standalone WinUAE folder ( and not inside Amiga Forever ), so I thought your post was a different approach I could try for creating a new hardfile -
Unfortunately something went wrong and I could not succeed in creating a bootable hardfile using the configuration that is shown in the videos - After rebooting I don´t see any empty bootable hard disk called HD on screen to be formatted ( I select the last option in graphical AmigaOS 4.1 installation menu as appears in the videos, this is using as a live CD ). By the way the size of the hard disk I selected was 1.2 Gb only ( not 30 Gb like you ) and only two partitions, instead of the five you made , one for the system and the other spare one for installing sofware - Maybe the reason was that I used WinUAE 3.6.0 instead of 3.6.1 or something was missing during the WinUAE configuration ? - Other thing I didn´t have and don´t know what means, is something that you used, called "G-REX" hardware.

Last edited by Amifan23; 17 May 2018 at 18:51.
Old 17 May 2018, 19:48   #10
White

@ Amifan23
Hi, I'm glad you appreciate the guides.
Here you can find a guide in .pdf
https://1drv.ms/b/s!Am9nRCGb_XSzpSYZt0tmBgY7JBrx
Written by Saghalie if it can help you better.
Also to use 4.1 you should use winUAE 3.6.1 64bit
Without using AmigaForever, I personally have nothing to say about AmigaForever
everyone chooses what they prefer.
You can create smaller partitions if it is more convenient for you.

For example if you want it from 2giga
these parameters:
For example if you want it from 4giga
these parameters:
For convenience you can use two partitions if you want, just "Amiga" and "Work"
G-Rex serves to allocate 1gb of ram but this is not really important you can also use Mediator.
Then once you understand how to do it, you can change as you like.
If you want to create an installation directly with G-Rex, here you can find the video:
[ Show youtube player ]
the floppy in .ADF can be found inside the AmigaOS4.1FE cd

To do this I suggest you simply use winUAE and move your roms to the Kick folder once you have installed winUAE
It would be much easier to follow the guides.

Also I have AmigaForever, but if I try to import the partitions it does not recognize them,
so it is normal that this happens to you, there is a different procedure with AmigaForever is not difficult but for me it is not worth it.

Also the processor that uses and important, I use an I5 2400 so nothing special.

If you have other questions ask, maybe in the app support section

Hi, I hope this is useful for you.
:-)
Old 18 May 2018, 00:32   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amifan23 View Post
Unfortunately something went wrong and I could not succeed in creating a bootable hardfile using the configuration that is shown in the videos - After rebooting I don´t see any empty bootable hard disk called HD on screen to be formatted
If you have configured a HD Controller "RDB Mode" and "Accellerator (Cyberstorm PPC)" (best choice), to see the hard disk on the Workbench it is not enough to create it, look at my video.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 June 2018 at 16:14.
Old 18 May 2018, 08:19   #12
Amifan23

@ White

Thanks for your explanation ! - I did find the PDF you mention, will take a look when I have some time - Where and when do I have to enter the parameters you suggest ?, for example for 2 giga, you say

these parameters:

I remember you changed some numbers in the videos while creating the partitions, but will be grateful if you make this more clear for me.

Last edited by Amifan23; 18 May 2018 at 08:30.
Old 18 May 2018, 08:24   #13
Amifan23

@ AMIGASYSTEM

Thanks for the video you attached, I will take a look !
By the way, I found another tutorial video on youtube and wonder if it was you that uploaded it too - I was interested in the way it shows how to switch between Picasso IV and UAEgfx screen modes, as UAEgfx has more available modes than Picasso, like 1366x768, the resolution my monitor has.
The link is [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Amifan23; 18 May 2018 at 08:33.
Old 18 May 2018, 09:46   #14
White

@ Amifan23
Hi,
here you find a hard disk .hdf already ready divided into two AMIGA and WORK are formatted in SFS / 02 with the mask 53465302 the size is two gigabytes, you just have to install the 4.1
https://tinyurl.com/y7gn4zt2

here you find the configuration file you only have to change your paths and put the right ones if necessary:
https://tinyurl.com/ybnhwsh3

do not forget to install PICASSOIV as other graphics card will not work, and you will have problems restarting, then you can change after

The guide in .pdf and explained for each step and then make all the changes you prefer including the UAEGFX, you will have to read it later to understand the various steps.

Saghalie has done a great guide, you just have to read it.
Hello.

Last edited by White; 18 May 2018 at 09:55. Reason: error
Old 18 May 2018, 09:59   #15
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amifan23 View Post
@ AMIGASYSTEM

Thanks for the video you attached, I will take a look !
By the way, I found another tutorial video on youtube and wonder if it was you that uploaded it too - I was interested in the way it shows how to switch between Picasso IV and UAEgfx screen modes, as UAEgfx has more available modes than Picasso, like 1366x768, the resolution my monitor has.
The link is [ Show youtube player ]
Yes, the video is mine to go from Picasso to UaeGFX it's very simple:

- Copy UaeGfx + UaeGfx.info to Devs/Monitors (if you leave also Picasso you can execute entami as in the video)
- Set in RTG Board UAE Zorro III add WRAM size 256 RAM
- Started workbench go to Prefs/Screenmode and save your chosen resolution

@White
Ciao Paolo, ottimo lavoro !
Old 18 May 2018, 10:09   #16
White

@AMIGASYSTEM
Hi, thank you, and always a pleasure to hear from you, ciao.
Old 19 May 2018, 04:27   #17
Amifan23

@White

Great ! this is very kind of you to make the hardfile, easier for me, many thanks ! I will try this weekend and let you know how it goes..

Last edited by Amifan23; 19 May 2018 at 04:37.
Old 19 May 2018, 04:37   #18
Amifan23

@AMIGASYSTEM

I thought the video was yours because the wallpaper was the same and also same Windows 7 system - But once I tried to use Zorro III instead of PicassoIV in WinUAE RTG part, added the AmigaOS 4.1 hardfile I had, and when AmigaOS 4.1 booted, a message popped up saying something like the configuration was not compatible with ppc or so, maybe I missed something on that occasion, I will try with your instructions, thanks !
Old 19 May 2018, 08:36   #19
White

@ Amifan23
Hi, no problem,
follow the guide written by Saghalie he worked there to do it.
Please note that once you have installed 4.1 for fun, you will need to install additional software.
Software is free and you find it on
os4depot.net
Then you will have to update and configure the software, the guide will help you do it.

I am also attaching the uaegfx and ethernet.device drivers:

they must be installed manually as AMIGASTSTEM said
Take a little 'time to read how to do these things, just installed the 4.1 you will not be able to do almost anything for daily use.
Hello, good day.

Last edited by White; 09 January 2021 at 18:12.
Old 19 May 2018, 11:41   #20
White

@Minuous
Hi, I would really like to understand the transparency of "Petunia"
I tried to use netsurf 68k directly on 4.1 and it works, and asks me to choose what resolution and screen I want to use, then after a while it freezes.
This is not a problem.
Could you explain the concept of how to use a 68k application?
Do I have to install it in the 3.1 workbench in the RunInUae folder or can I install any application in a dedicated partition?

Thank you so much for your every explanation and every advice.