English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 November 2010, 22:25   #1
Amiga Forever

Why Did Amiga Games have So Many ST Port Games?

There is somethings that I didnt know until I was reading Amiga Lemon games stuff from Amiga fans talking about that ST Port games that Port to Amiga without making more colours(which Amiga can do 32 colours at once I think)

I think

they dont have time to make better graphics for Amiga because they want want the SALES(Moneys!)

That is a shame isnt it!

What Amiga games from ST Port games that should have more Colours on screen?
Old 10 November 2010, 22:35   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

They did have time, they simply couldn't be bothered.

At the start, the Atari ST version of a game was outselling the Amiga version, assuming that the Amiga was even getting a version that is, it was never a guarantee the Amiga got a conversion.

Most early ports were just quick and dirty ST ports, the graphics were already designed for the lesser pallette on the ST, about the only thing that did get updated was the music.

And there were not that many development teams that were truly multi platform capable. So, a software company would award the conversion contract to whomever could convert to as many formats as possible.

So you have to consider in the early days of the Amiga, the following also got a conversion:

Sinclair Spectrum, Amstrad CPC464, Commodore 64, occasionally PC, ST, Sometimes MSX, Sometimes Nintendo NES, Sometimes Sega Master System.

So if ONE development team were responsible for coverting that lot to all those different formats, they didn't have the time to properly utilise individual machines.
Old 10 November 2010, 22:36   #3
s2325
Zone Friend

I think sound could be also the same if Amiga had same sound chip...
Old 10 November 2010, 22:43   #4
Amiga Forever

Galahad/FLT: I see....that it is interesting.

OUTRUN was ST Port to Amiga wasnt it?
Old 11 November 2010, 08:57   #5
khph_re

I used to hate ST ports, but now... I think we were lucky to get them, and lucky the ST was (fairly) similar. If the ST did not exist, we would probably have a lot less games to play, in the early years.
Old 11 November 2010, 10:03   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
If the ST did not exist, we would probably have a lot less games to play, in the early years.
That is one possibility. Another is that the games would have been developed for the Amiga directly; the games would have been far better. Perhaps that would even have influenced how Commodore had marketed the machine...

Who knows how the market would have worked without the ST. I'm glad it turned out the way it did and the Amiga became popular enough to create an impressive amount of game for in a relatively short span of time.
Old 11 November 2010, 10:28   #7
slk486
Registered Looser

Is there a list somewhere of Amiga games that were (are) ST ports?
Old 11 November 2010, 10:37   #8
deicidal
Registered Insane

I remember reading (I think it was back in the day of ST/Amiga format when it was still combined) someone wrote in saying the st port of Menace was pants, the programmer of the ST port replied and basically ended up saying buy an Amiga .
Old 11 November 2010, 10:43   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by slk486 View Post
Is there a list somewhere of Amiga games that were (are) ST ports?
Maybe when RCK has some more spare time...
Old 11 November 2010, 10:47   #10
slk486
Registered Looser

I'll gladly donate an hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
I remember reading (I think it was back in the day of ST/Amiga format when it was still combined) someone wrote in saying the st port of Menace was pants, the programmer of the ST port replied and basically ended up saying buy an Amiga .