English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 September 2014, 10:29   #1
qq1975b

A2000: AT-BUS 2008/Buddha IDE problems (CDRW and CF)

Hi all,

I have been restoring my A2000 and I wanted to improve it, but some problems appeared that I am not able to solve...or maybe they are known and nothing can't been done.

My A2000 config (I can post picture if someone would like to see it):

A2000 6.2 motherboard with ECS Denise and 1MB ECS Agnus
CR2032 Battery holder
Gotek Drive as DF0
DD drive as DF1
LG CDRW 52x32x52 IDE
A2058 with 2MB RAM
A2630 with 4MB RAM
Picasso II with 2MB RAM
So total RAM 8MB (6MB RAM and 2MB of PicassoII) to avoid Zorro II issues...I think A2630, memory that is always autoconfig, counts on the 8MB RAM limit so it is not possible to expand the A2058 to 4MB and then 10MB total.
AT-BUS 2008 with latest octapussy ROM
32GB CF with a 3.9 OS and 1x500MB FFS partition (Workbench) and 8x3.7GB PFS3 partitions for all the stuff (I put ADF files to be able to write them on a floppy disk if needed). Is this OK? I mean, the first partition FFS?

The problems are the following:

The CDROM is not recognised....It is Slave on the IDE because the CF is the Master. I have copied CD0 from Storage/DOSDrivers to Devs/DosDrivers and configured the CD0.info with:
ACTIVATE=1
DEVICE=scsi.device
UNIT= 2

It doesn't work. With Unit=1 it doesn't work either.

Then I decided to not connect the CDROM and install a 2nd CF as slave...more problems. With another adapter configured as Slave it is been read as Master....so it didn't work (the machine was unable to boot because the 2nd CF doesn't have WB). With a different 2nd adapter it read all OK (boots from the Master CF and recognises the 2nd CF too). I partitioned the 2nd CF with HDToolBox but when I restarted the machine, no new partitions appeared to be formatted. Why?

Finally I tried to install a Buddha IDE ZII card (not flash version) but it didn't recognise the CF...so it didn't boot. Installed besides the AT-BUS 2008 (where the CDROM is plugged to the Buddha and the 32GB CF is connected to the AT-Bus) it is not recognised either (using buddha's software too). Is there some place where I can get the last ROM revision for the Buddha so it can read CF? maybe it will solve all my problems...(or someone has it and can share it?)

At the end I only installed the first CF but it is a pity not to be able to install that CDROM or a 2nd CF to files exchange...

Anybody had this issue?

Last edited by qq1975b; 04 September 2014 at 08:30.
Old 11 September 2014, 10:13   #2
Oli_HD
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by qq1975b View Post
Hi all,
I think A2630, memory that is always autoconfig, counts on the 8MB RAM limit so it is not possible to expand the A2058 to 4MB and then 10MB total.
hmm yeah I guess the ram is configured into 16bit space, theres a jumper to stop it autoconfiging the ram though, maybe then use a addfastram program to stick it in 32bit space? Never tried, Ive got a 112MB ram card attached to my A2630 so lots of ram.

Quote:
AT-BUS 2008 with latest octapussy ROM
32GB CF with a 3.9 OS and 1x500MB FFS partition (Workbench) and 8x3.7GB PFS3 partitions for all the stuff (I put ADF files to be able to write them on a floppy disk if needed). Is this OK? I mean, the first partition FFS?
Yep, not an issue with kickstarts 1.3 and above. Pre 1.3 I think it had to be the standard filesystem.
All looks good on that setup.

Quote:
The CDROM is not recognised....It is Slave on the IDE because the CF is the Master. I have copied CD0 from Storage/DOSDrivers to Devs/DosDrivers and configured the CD0.info with:
ACTIVATE=1
DEVICE=scsi.device
UNIT= 2
It doesn't work. With Unit=1 it doesn't work either.
Ok, not sure about your cards specifically but are you sure its scsi.device? Ive got an oktagon card and thats oktagon.device...
May be worth running HDToolbox and seeing if that can see it and if so on what interface?

Quote:
With another adapter configured as Slave it is been read as Master....so it didn't work (the machine was unable to boot because the 2nd CF doesn't have WB). With a different 2nd adapter it read all OK (boots from the Master CF and recognises the 2nd CF too). I partitioned the 2nd CF with HDToolBox but when I restarted the machine, no new partitions appeared to be formatted. Why?
Sounds like the one adapter is wired for just host operation? as the second adapter works I see no reason why the first wouldnt.
When you say "no new partition appeared to be formatted", When you partition a drive it doesnt automatically format it, you still need to do that after. It should show up as "NDOS:?????" or soemthing like that, so you can click on it and format it, if it doesnt go back into HDToolbox and check the drive is set to automount, as otherwise you would need an old style mount list before the Amiga would "see" it

Quote:
Finally I tried to install a Buddha IDE ZII card (not flash version) but it didn't recognise the CF...so it didn't boot.
Long shot as its been a while since Ive played with my Buddha but perhaps its only looking for fixed media, where as the CF card could be seen as removable.

I had a DVD-Ram drive that couldnt be booted from easily because it was classed as removable. There was a way to get the HDToolbox to see it but that basically let you use the drive after booting, not before.
Best ask Jens about that one tbh.
Old 14 September 2014, 01:44   #3
qq1975b

Hi,

Thanks.
I have kickstart 3.1...I know you guessed that but not mentioned on the first post.
I see my CF on scsi.device with hdtoolbox.
Will the Amiga detect an audio cd? or needs a 9600 one? CD works as a floppy disk? I mean, does it appears when you insert a disk?

By not partitions appear I mean that the created partitions don't appear on WB so I can format them (NDOS ones don't appear).

Last edited by qq1975b; 14 September 2014 at 17:06.
Old 16 September 2014, 21:09   #4
source
Zone Friend

Some of the CF IDE card readers have both slave and master drives selected for the IDE bus. (has room for 2 cf cards) if so you need to use the other IDE header. I would get a copy of AsimCDFS 3.10 on the disk it does have a find drive utility that with give you the drive number and the device name. I also recall something about the drive number for the CD drive being odd in that it was registered as device 4 - (it has been a while since I configured my 2000 and memory not being that great lately)
Old 19 September 2014, 09:55   #5
qq1975b

Ok, I will try AmiCDFS 3.10. Let's hope it solves my CD problems.
I have noticed also in other machines (A4000D) that the CDRom doesn't appear. All the systems using WB 3.1. I will try this software on them too.
IDE-Fix didn't work.

I have only managed to make the CD work on an A4000D with a FastATA 4000 card and WB 3.9