English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 October 2005, 13:58   #1
Wizard

adaptor ID

I have been an Amiga user for over 10 years, and my current Amiga monitor is randomly doing a fade-to-black. I am looking for a way to use standard monitors with my Amiga500s or 4000. I have never had a problem, before, because I could switch from one monitor to another as they wore out, but currently Amiga monitors dont seem to be available.
I have a Commodore adaptor, SN#390682-01, which is a 15 pin to 23 pin adaptor. I also have a similar adaptor made by PreVueTechnologies, labeled a MS-15b Sync Strainer. which I am told will enable me to connect my Amiga to a monitor with a 15 pin SVGA connector. The question is, will either of these match the Amiga scan rate to the PC monitor scan rate, or will I have to get something else?

Old 20 October 2005, 15:34   #2
thomas

The Commodore adapter is just an adapter, it does not change the signal. It will work with the A4000 if you choose a screenmode like DblPAL, DblNTSC or Multiscan. This will only work with system-friendly software. (Workbench and applications which use or copy the Workbench screen)

Not sure about the Sync Strainer, never heard of it. What you need is a so-called scan doubler. It will make the PAL or NTSC signals displayable on a VGA monitor.
Old 20 October 2005, 15:55   #3
OddbOd

Short answer: No, most standard Amiga display modes will not work with either of those adpaters. You will require a scan-doubler, preferably an external one, to use your Amigas with most PC monitors.

The Commodore adaptor that you have is designed for connecting multi-sync monitors such as the 1950, 1960 or 1962 which have VGA-style 15 pin connectors to an Amiga, they are just an adapter nothing more. The Sync Strainer is a more interesting device that is also an adapter for connecting multi-sync monitors but in addition it contains a sync separator (generator?) that is intended for use when a VideoToaster is present, without it the Toaster will not start when a multi-sync is connected.
Old 20 October 2005, 21:21   #4
Wizard

adaptor

okay, so my adaptors wont let me use my A4000 with a pc monitor. Can I use such a monitor with my amiga and a program like UAE or Amiga Forever or Siamese? My understanding is that the latter program is supposed to enable such a usage/sharing of resources. I have a copy of Siamese v2.1 I have installed it on my Amiga, but never used it.

Old 20 October 2005, 22:11   #5
lopos2000
Zone Friend

@Wizard
Wear your glasses. Your font are way to big.
Old 21 October 2005, 07:07   #6
OddbOd

If you have a full Siamese system then yes, you do have the Siamese ISA card as well right?
Old 21 October 2005, 10:50   #7
Wizard

siamese

nobody said anything about needing a special board with Siamese program. Question is then, what can I do without it, and if it won't do what I want, where can I get a board, and at what cost?
Would it be easier to get a copy of UAE, and just port everything over to the PC?

Old 21 October 2005, 12:36   #8
thomas

AFAIK Siamiese 2.x didn't need any hardware. You need a network connection to the PC, though. Siamese allows you to watch your Amiga's screen in a window on the PC. It works only with system-friendly software, though.

Why don't you use the Commodore adapter with an appropiate screen mode ?
Old 21 October 2005, 17:14   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

hmmm, an interesting problem, but there is a very simple (temporary solution) before you even go down the siamise route, how do you inted to configure it if you cannot see the display.

you can use pinout guides to create a very simple composite output from the a4000 video signal output port. from this you can use any tv / vcr that is composite equiped (most newish TV's are and VCR's more so) to help you configure any grphix card or siamise solution.

the pinouts you can get from doing a search on google. you can also spend 20 mins on ebay ebay.com / ebay.de / ebay.ca and ebay.co.uk (and ask sellers that wouldn`t normaly post worldwide if they would consider it if you picked up all costs (thats postages and ebay fees) you will find most sellers agreeable. as long as you are sincere in your request.

you could get a real cheap zorro gfx card like a picasso II ( i have seen them on ebay sell for under $10. )

As mentioned the purchase of a "scan doubler / flicker-fixer" would seiously help you. so you could use a standard SVGA monitor for low screen rates these items sell for about 50 / 60 Euros on average
Old 22 October 2005, 05:49   #10
OddbOd

My apologies, the fingers were typing before the brain was fully engaged. Siamese 2.1 does indeed run over a serial connection, Siamese 2.5 Pro is needed for TCP/IP Ethernet use, it's only the original Siamese system that needs the switcher card.