English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 05 August 2015, 16:16   #1
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

So what happens when Steam dies?

Some people say Steam will never die, but the same was said for MySpace, Napster, etc.

So what happens when Steam inevitably dies, and what will happen to all the games we purchased with our hard-earned? Will they be transitioned over to a new games platform, free of charge? Will we receive refunds for games we have bought, but never gotten around to playing?

I read once that, buried deep within the bowels of the Steam EULA, we are actually not the owners of the games we buy - we are merely renting them out, and there may be a timed lease.

I guess I'd be annoyed if I'd have to re-purchase all my games on a new games platform, much like people re-purchase movies they already own once a new media format (like DVD or Blu Ray) is released. I'm a proud tight-arse, and I've got a stingy reputation to maintain!

Discuss.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 August 2015, 16:46   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
I read once that, buried deep within the bowels of the Steam EULA, we are actually not the owners of the games we buy
Same goes for physical copies, they mean that just cause you bought a copy you don't own the whole game, you can't modify it and sell as your own, you're not the owner of the title, the franchise, etc.
It's difficult to define something that can be copied infinitlely and isn't "destroyed" when "used" like food for example so the companies are protecting themselves with a general "ruleset".
Old 05 August 2015, 17:39   #3
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Just to be on safe side, follow BBZ's example, get couple hybrid drives and load your whole catalog.

Not sure exactly what would happen, but I am sure that it would follow big lawsuits if they don't address properly what happens to your purchased goods.

This is not like online multiplayer video game where after a while you can cut the plug.

Now that I think about it, just give it some time and check what happens with Origin.
Old 05 August 2015, 18:06   #4
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
This is not like online multiplayer video game where after a while you can cut the plug.
I'm afraid it's pretty much that...

Quote:
2. LICENSES

A. General Content and Services License

Steam and your Subscription(s) require the automatic download and installation of Content and Services onto your computer. Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a non-exclusive license and right, to use the Content and Services for your personal, non-commercial use (except where commercial use is expressly allowed herein or in the applicable Subscription Terms). This license ends upon termination of (a) this Agreement or (b) a Subscription that includes the license. The Content and Services are licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Content and Services. To make use of the Content and Services, you must have a Steam Account and you may be required to be running the Steam client and maintaining a connection to the Internet.

You license a product from Steam (or rather from Valve via Steam) and when Valve goes under, all your Steam games go with it.
Old 05 August 2015, 18:09   #5
jmmijo

Yes it is indeed possible that Valve could go bankrupt, may not happen in my lifetime, that however would not be the end of Steam.

I wholly believe that some other company would pick up the pieces so to speak and that there maybe some kind of temporary outage until the new owner gets into place.
Old 06 August 2015, 01:20   #6
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Does anyone remember WON?
Exactly... Sierra died and steam popped up to replace it.
As long as someone can make money with the sevice it will survive even if Valve dies.
And if not, so what? I have 7 or 8 games and may lose 50 bucks.
But I know a lots of people that may be really pissed if they lose 200+ games.
Maybe we need something like WHDLoad for steam games in 25 years. ^^
Old 06 August 2015, 08:41   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The same thing happens as to all my physical PC game copies and all my Amiga games. They're gone.

And I'll have owned them longer than the physical PC and Amiga games together - A big success!
Old 06 August 2015, 10:47   #8
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

We can sell our old steam harddrives as clolectors items on ebay.
Old 06 August 2015, 11:54   #9
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post
Haha, "200+"

Quote:
Maybe we need something like WHDLoad for steam games in 25 years.
You mean something like... GOG?
Old 06 August 2015, 13:11   #10
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
LOL, I started using Steam close to half year ago and I am closing to 750 and in no way I consider myself collector as couple of EAB members are, 2 of them even on this topic.

Quote:
Maybe we need something like WHDLoad for steam games in 25 years. ^^
GoG.com is getting there, but I hope that Archive.org will cover for many of games. Not sure if you guys check it lately, but full TOSEC archives as well DOS games are available last couple of years thanks to work of Jason Scott. I heard him other day on radio talking about trying to get every possible CD with AOL installation on it. Guy is nut and is trying to preserve everything...
Old 06 August 2015, 14:39   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I have somewhere around 300 games now. But I really wouldn't be all that pissed about losing 90% of them as the chance I'll ever play them again is incredibly small; they're just there as decoration at this point. There are only so many games that have true replay value, nowadays you don't get new games but replacement games. I've spent probably close to a hundred euros on Civ 5 if not more with all the expansions, when Civ 6 eventually gets released I'll probably never install Civ 5 again. No loss, I've clocked hundreds of hours into it, so its paid itself off tenfold.

You can't toss stuff from your Steam account in the bin or give it away, so the 'problem' looks a lot bigger than it really is.

But yeah when you're a collector, I can imagine it will feel like your stamp collection going up on smoke when your house burns down.

Last edited by gimbal; 07 August 2015 at 09:32. Reason: engrish
Old 06 August 2015, 16:25   #12
Leffmann

I've got a mere 20 games on Steam, and I've been on there for 11 years.
Old 06 August 2015, 16:53   #13
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

In my case, if I've really wanted to try/play game (even if I don't have a time) - I would buy it. It is the same way with my DVD collection, and I still have unpacked games. Sure, lots of game don't have replay value, but sometimes I just like to try different games and give some Indie game a chance. For example, last night did not have much time to play, but tried a bit Planets Under Attack. It just drives me crazy that I can't win level on hard... and wonder how to solve it...

As for having 20 games, that is close to Star Wars bundle that was 15 bucks IIRC. SOmething you've doing wrong there...
Old 06 August 2015, 21:46   #14
BarryB
Amigaholic

I have about 90, most of them were bought in sales and about 10 or so were freebies and some don't even need steam running to load.
Old 06 August 2015, 23:07   #15
seuden
uber cool demi god

All hail p2p.
Old 07 August 2015, 11:37   #16
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

... as a backup for when you lose the shit you paid for, right?
Old 07 August 2015, 13:36   #17
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I see where is this going...

I guess with Fallout 4 we will see what world would look like if Steam closes, right??
Old 07 August 2015, 22:41   #18
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
You mean something like... GOG?
Now that you mention it...
Old 08 August 2015, 20:11   #19
BarryB
Amigaholic

Not every game on steam will make it to GOG though!
Old 08 August 2015, 21:49   #20
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Not every game on steam will make it to GOG though!
Probably the same with some GOG games never getting onto Steam

However I feel it's more likely that a game will get released/rereleased onto Steam then GOG just from a user base stand point.
AdSense AdSense