English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 26 December 2017, 23:28   #1
Nosferax

A500 power connector modification

Hi,

I'm planning to go with an ATX PSU for my new PAL A500 since it doesn't comes with a PSU of its own. But since I can't find any affordable PSU on my side of the ocean (I'm Canadian) to scavenge the 5 pin connector, I'm wondering if someone has ever replaced the female square power jack with a regular 5 pin circular DIN?

That way I coud just buy a 5 pin male DIN connector (really cheap and common) and build myself a cable.
Old 26 December 2017, 23:42   #2
EzdineG

I had a similar situation to yours. Here’s how I solved the problem with a picoitx supply and external 12v power source. I replaced the existing power connector and monochrome jack with a power switch and the lead for the 12v source.

Let me know if I can be any further help.
Old 27 December 2017, 03:13   #3
mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post
Hi,

I'm planning to go with an ATX PSU for my new PAL A500 since it doesn't comes with a PSU of its own. But since I can't find any affordable PSU on my side of the ocean (I'm Canadian) to scavenge the 5 pin connector, I'm wondering if someone has ever replaced the female square power jack with a regular 5 pin circular DIN?

That way I coud just buy a 5 pin male DIN connector (really cheap and common) and build myself a cable.
If its a relatively unexpanded(read not a power hog) a round din will be likely just fine . they are rated for lower amp carrying capacity than the square din(they are rated around what a 500 psu can out out..4.5amps if memory serves).
Old 27 December 2017, 18:14   #4
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post
Instead rebuilding A500 motherboard build own 5 pin square plug - use some 2 components epoxy glue (or buy epoxy resin used by modelers), prepare mold, solder wire to pins and apply epoxy resin. Mold can be made for example from silicone sealant (choose neutral silicone insead those one that smell with vinegar) - silicone is very pro for molds (special silicone can be cheaply bought for this) - i assume for single plug you may think about using polymer clay https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_clay - should be sufficient. Pins can be extracted from cheap DIN connector.
Old 27 December 2017, 18:25   #5
Nosferax

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Instead rebuilding A500 motherboard build own 5 pin square plug - use some 2 components epoxy glue (or buy epoxy resin used by modelers), prepare mold, solder wire to pins and apply epoxy resin. Mold can be made for example from silicone sealant (choose neutral silicone insead those one that smell with vinegar) - silicone is very pro for molds (special silicone can be cheaply bought for this) - i assume for single plug you may think about using polymer clay https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_clay - should be sufficient. Pins can be extracted from cheap DIN connector.
I did build Atari ST floppy cable connector that way, or similar, in the 80's. Another solution could be to us some square hobby plastic tubing and use a thick piece of plastic drilled with 5 holes matching the pins location as the pin support then cap the tubing with that piece. A heat shrink tube could be use to hold the cable coming out of the tubing.

Old 08 February 2018, 20:13   #6
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Why that all if new square dins can be bought on lemon64?
Old 08 February 2018, 20:35   #7
mpattonm

Because they were not there by Dec 2017