AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 December 2002, 11:13   #2
RetroMan

"Itīs a pirate board"

These guys are really out of the range
Old 15 December 2002, 11:45   #3
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

I had a reply all typed out and ready to go over at ann.lu this morning, but I promised I wouldn't post there so I won't ..... However, I will post here

Some of them are complete idiots, with no grip on reality what so ever, they seem to have forgotten that the Amiga scene was built on piracy in the first place. Not that we are involved in piracy of "New" still supported and sold software here at the EAB. A fact lost on one particular ubernerd.

I imagine, like the rest of those people, has never and will never use a cracked game of his beloved Amiga, real one not emulated mind you, because using an emulator would kill the Amiga scene.

This really is a case of someone trying to cut off their nose to spite their face. The real Amiga community is dieing a slow painful death, and it's idiots like them are only helping it die.

Emulation is keeping the Amiga alive, not a PC clone, labelled as an Amiga that seems to make the ann.lu crew cream their shorts.

If I had a choice of being labelled a pirate for posting here, and being labelled a delusional idealist nerd, I know which on I'd pick ooo-ar me hearties.

This is my opinion, and not the EAB's. Problem's with it should be addressed to me and not our forum.
Old 15 December 2002, 12:04   #4
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs down

I'd be more concerned about how true or not those idiots gripings are-I'd hate to see RCK get a anonymous men-in-suit type, lawyer letter.
Old 15 December 2002, 12:09   #5
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

His griping was about DPaint 5. A product no longer produced or supported by EA.
Old 15 December 2002, 15:30   #6
Akira

I had a reply ready too, but these guys are a bunch of RETARDS. Everytime something gets requested, something that is available for sale, we point the requester to a place where he can buy it, or if teh requester is just asking for a pirate copy, we close the thread and tell him "NO!" :P

Everybody knows that. These guys are just... blah.
Old 15 December 2002, 18:48   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
evil tidings...

OK, but this can get REAL DANGEROUS.

If one of these .. er .. "retards" who threatened to take legal action against EAB ..

[EDIT] Even more libelous for me is that that 'lawyer' guy there is also German, connected to the Internet via T-DSL (German Telekom)
Maybe just a busybody in fact.

Last edited by andreas; 15 December 2002 at 18:59.
Old 15 December 2002, 19:33   #8
oldpx

We may react against it, if this happens. Spamming their miserable site to death might be nice

Quote:
Still sold or not still sold is irrelevant, it is still piracy.
So FUCKIN' w000000000t?????

Old 15 December 2002, 19:56   #9
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Thumbs down Re: EAB on ann.lu

Quote:
Originally posted by front243
EAB thread on ann.lu
Old 15 December 2002, 20:02   #10
Mr Softy

I cannot see where the problem is about dl old amiga games that are not sold anymore by the manufacturer. If I was creating amiga (or whatever) games in the mid/late eighties, I would feel great surfing a board like eab.
I mean, really great.

For game that are still sold today (like some of the most recent mame roms) it is another problem tho.
Old 15 December 2002, 21:11   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Softy
I cannot see where the problem is about dl old amiga games that are not sold anymore by the manufacturer. If I was creating amiga (or whatever) games in the mid/late eighties, I would feel great surfing a board like eab.
I mean, really great.
In most cases, the creators of the games don't care. But, unfortunately, they don't neccesarily own the copyrights for their games, the publishing house does (transferrable to whomever bought out whatever publisher). Even then, most of those guys couldn't care less, either. It's a grey area and most of the ones creating noise about it are not even directly involved, they are just stroking themselves with political posturing. On the other hand, there are indeed some publishers of old Amiga games who have specified that their games are not freely distributable even today. So it's far from black and white.
Old 15 December 2002, 21:26   #12
jmmijo

I especially liked this post:

There are lots of apps requests, and I doubt that for example IDEfix, which is included in modern OS distributions, can be regarded as abandonware just yet.
And regardless of talk of abandonware, that is not a legally legitimate concept. I'd rather the link were removed, for the sake of moral fibre in the "community".

Moral fiber indeed
Old 16 December 2002, 11:15   #13
Mr Softy

@twistin': You're right, but what can one legally do against this kind of spreading? (I prefer calling it "preservation" btw. ) It's just too big now, you close a server, and two more open... Besides that I don't think there are many people actually charging money or SELLING those games and apps.

Question: is it illegal to download a kickstart rom when you actually own an amiga but don't have the required stuff or will to transfer it to your peecee? And what is the situation regarding workbench? I know kickstart is owned by Cloanto know, but is anybody or anything owning our beloved wb? [Edit : Amiga, inc?]
Old 16 December 2002, 14:35   #14
oldpx

Quote:
Question: is it illegal to download a kickstart rom when you actually own an amiga but don't have the required stuff or will to transfer it to your peecee?
It's legal

Old 16 December 2002, 14:50   #15
Konrad

Seems to have been an interesting article . However it's gone now. When I click the link it says "An error has occured: Unable to open article file". Why that ? Seems as if they read the reactions on it.
Old 16 December 2002, 15:17   #16
oldpx

They removed the news to remove the link to our "pirate" board. we don't want their traffic anyway. But these assholes insulted our community, I am very angry atm

Something should be done.

Old 16 December 2002, 15:53   #17
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally posted by Konrad
Seems to have been an interesting article . However it's gone now. When I click the link it says "An error has occured: Unable to open article file". Why that ?
Because it was deleted.
They DID announce that they're going to delete the thread.

@all: does it make sense that we keep a thread on EAB about an article we can't access anymore?
Old 16 December 2002, 16:26   #18
Mr Softy

Big grin

Maybe it's still cached in google... :theparano
Old 16 December 2002, 18:37   #19
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
@all: does it make sense that we keep a thread on EAB about an article we can't access anymore?
Absolutely! They have censored the discussion from existence like it never happened since the "p" word might have boosted stealing profits from the programmer of Malta Storm or something. Killing this thread would pretend this incident never happened.

BTW, these do-gooders whine all day long about consumers stealing profits from publishers, but they seem to have no problem at all with publishers ripping off programmers. Where is their moralising voice on this issue? Shouldn't they be banning any mention of Hewson or ICE or the myriad other companies that flat-out stole software, ripped off developers, didn't pay for the software, then reaped massive financial reward for their piracy? It's a double standard. They are defending professional crooks being ripped off by consumers. Methinks those folks at ann.lu should carefully remove their heads from their asses.
Old 17 December 2002, 05:21   #20
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

I suppose they'd regard BTTR a "pirate site" too,despite having permissions from publishers/authors for their stuff.

BTW-To go off-topic slightly, Twist you did mention something I've always been curious about.
What was the situation surrounding Hewson's "ripoff"? I seem to recall Andrew Braybrook,(& Graftgold), mentioning Hewson (& its founder) like a swear word following its collapse. Didn't it get set up a new company called 21st Century or something?
AdSense AdSense