English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 05 May 2018, 21:52   #1
Marle
Pixel Vixen

My tribute to the Amiga

Hey gang,

I know it in this day and age it's normal to see someone dump and run for the social media likes for some half baked video they made.

And I hope this is well received.

Bit back in the 90s I'd dream of being able to make a video that was a tribute to the Amiga. By 1994, it was definitely not the best out there but for some reason I stuck with it until my A1200T died in 2000 with it's Blizzard PPC 603/160 and 040/25. I sold an Amiga 3000 in Huddersfield in 2001 for £150. maybe even £125..... I should never have sold that A3000....

Thing is I love the PS1, I loved the SNES and to some extent the Mega Drive too (one of them had Secret of Mana...) but the Amiga got under my skin. I was a Commodore Kid.

So I made this, Some 18 years after I divested myself of my Amiga usage. I now happily run an A600 with only 2meg of RAM and a 68000 in 2018. And I couldn;t be happier:

The video I dreamed about sequencing in my teens but finally made once I was 35... [ Show youtube player ]

Amiga, I love you! xx
Old 05 May 2018, 22:16   #2
kgc210

What happened to the Blizzard PPC 603/160 and 040/25?

You Video editing skills are a tad better than mine! Like 100 times better.
Old 05 May 2018, 22:20   #3
kgc210

Just watched your Pixle Art vid.
Are you videoing a real Amiga or creating fake scan lines on an emulator?
Old 05 May 2018, 22:37   #4
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Fake scanlines. I have a SCART to HDMI box. But for simplicities sake for this video I used my MacBook Air and FS UAE. Gotta love them scanlines.

In 1993 when I bought my Amiga 500 Plus, my very own A500+, not the family's A500 I had a black and white portable on my C64, and when my dad saw me at the seller's house fiddling with the palette prefs he ponied up the extra £20 for the basic ITT portable to replace my dial it in to get the channel B&W set.

So scanlines are important to me. I stared long and hard into a 640x256 screen and a 320x256 screen to respect that.

As for the Blizzard, god only knows, it was sold, it was never scrapped as it was fine. When I first got in in probably 1999 maybe 2000, it had a problem but reflashing the EPROM or whatever was on it sorted it. And it ran great.

But my 1D4 A1200 board was creaky and I had an Atéo Tower and Pixel 64 system (ISA bus for the Amiga essentially) but by September 2000 it wouldn't boot even after giving the tower a kick(start).

So it was all disassembled, the A1200 1D4 went in the bin. The Blizzard PPC went on to a site that sold second hand Amiga kit back in the day. The Ateo System... no idea what happened to that.... The tower...again who knows. The shell of the A1200 who knows. Long time ago.

I had three very good Amigas, all paid for by a huge amount of paper-rounds. The A1200/PPC in the end, the A4000/060 and the A3000 with GoldenGate 386SX bridgeboard. The A3000 was my last proper Amiga sold at an Amiga shown in 2001 in Huddersfield. My old A500+ was dead in 2006 after a loft rescue.

The A600 still lives to this day. I bought it in the late 90s as a cheap portable Mac (via Shapeshifter and my IIfx ROM) but here it is still today, sans-Apollo 630 (which was unreliable as hell) and still working.

What more could you wish for when you have an A600 nagging you for a boot disk in 2018?

Special times.
Old 05 May 2018, 22:53   #5
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Oh the Pixel Art one, real A600. I have a video capture card.
Old 06 May 2018, 10:15   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marle View Post
Gotta love them scanlines.

<snip>

So scanlines are important to me.
Most definitely, there's an old poll around somewhere... ah, here it is: Scanlines or NO scanlines? but it seems most don't mike them

And also these scanlines threads:

... Show me your scanlines v2
... Show me all your scanlines
Old 06 May 2018, 12:25   #7
Marle
Pixel Vixen

I guess it's just down to personal preference.

I certainly don't have the same nostalgia for interlaced screens!
Old 06 May 2018, 12:38   #8
Seiya

excellent editing. Great video
Old 06 May 2018, 17:37   #9
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
excellent editing. Great video
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it
Old 06 May 2018, 19:21   #10
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Great video !

Would you mind providing the title of the song used in the video ?
Old 06 May 2018, 21:44   #11
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Sure the credits are all in the description, it's by Nina from her Sleepwalking album and the track is called Beyond Memory

Her album is awesome, well recommended. I have actually created a version of this video with a credit sequence but as I have now received comments and feedback on this uploaded version I am at pains to replace the video as it means uploading a totally separate version.
Old 07 May 2018, 12:05   #12
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]

Amiga, I love you! xx
Short answer : "Vicky has got what it takes!"

Long answer: Your transitions are just epic, wonderful music that reminds me of Amiga sound at the beginning!! Your eye for content is out of this world. A beautiful presentation that is more than worthy for the Amiga community.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful production. You have the skills of Zero Cool / Crash Override and Acid Burn when it comes to computers!

Incidentally: If this is a taste of your work Vicky, then your JRPG is going to be phenomenal !!
Old 07 May 2018, 22:21   #13
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Great video, Marle. Thanks.
Old 08 May 2018, 10:46   #14
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
Short answer : "Vicky has got what it takes!"

Long answer: Your transitions are just epic, wonderful music that reminds me of Amiga sound at the beginning!! Your eye for content is out of this world. A beautiful presentation that is more than worthy for the Amiga community.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful production. You have the skills of Zero Cool / Crash Override and Acid Burn when it comes to computers!

Incidentally: If this is a taste of your work Vicky, then your JRPG is going to be phenomenal !!
I have no idea who Zero Cool, Crash Override or Acid Burn are but I will take the complement thank you I'm glad you enjoyed it, I really hope what I produce for the game in the end matches up with what I have in my head!

In the meantime I will be producing quite a lot of content on my channel, not just about the Amiga mind, more a celebration of older systems and pixel art etc.

Thanks!
Old 08 May 2018, 10:46   #15
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
Great video, Marle. Thanks.
Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it!
Old 08 May 2018, 11:41   #16
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
I have no idea who Zero Cool, Crash Override or Acid Burn are but I will take the complement thank you
Watch the Movie "HACKERS" 1995, starring Jonny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie. Although their skills are aimed at hacking, I still felt it was a relevant example of how good you are at hacking your systems, to produce excellent productions/products. You are definitely Acid Burn!

Zero Cool and Crash Override are the same character the movie explains this at the start. It is an excellent film and a must for anyone into retro computing and video editing, as it offers an attempt of an internet atmosphere, unlike the internet of today.

Here we all are now, talking to each other and showing our skills on the internet. When "HACKERS" was released in 1995 the world was not familiar with the Internet, so they tried to give a predicted insight on all what was yet to come! The following is the famous quote from the movie:

"This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch... We exist without skin colour, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals.... Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity."

They offered excellent transitions and added music, including the use of rotoscoping and motion control to produce certain effects. Wipeout was also featured. Your production reminded me of "HACKERS" just by the way you edited and your choice of music. The film has now gained a cult following. I first saw the movie in 2000.

Anyways, if you get chance check it out. Sorry for long ass reply and for sort of mildly going off topic.

Last edited by MigaTech; 08 May 2018 at 12:02. Reason: Extra Text Added.
Old 08 May 2018, 16:50   #17
Mrz
Banned

which is the name of the song in the video?
Old 08 May 2018, 16:52   #18
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrz View Post
which is the name of the song in the video?
Marle already answered that question:

Quote:
Sure the credits are all in the description, it's by Nina from her Sleepwalking album and the track is called Beyond Memory
Old 12 May 2018, 21:10   #19
mcgeezer

I have to say I absolutely love this!

Sums up my memories of the Amiga really well and the music is just brilliant.

Keep up the great work!
Old 13 May 2018, 15:24   #20
TroyWilkins

That was well done, well worth the time to watch, thank you for sharing it with us all.