English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 11 June 2007, 19:13   #181
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
I thoroughly enjoyed reading that, even if it does only show a glimpse of the guy we called "The Amiga Green Alien", it speaks volumes about his character.

I think only a few (if any) people on here knew of Paul's condition (not sure if that's the right word), he never spoke about it, and it really is amazing that someone can have such courage and never let their problems get in the way of what they want to do. We can take a lot from that.

You should be (his parents should be) very proud of him. As I've said before, he'll be sorely missed.
Ditto. Paul was a remarkable chap. He's an inspiration to us all - I didn't know him at all unfortunetly....was on here for less than a year before he passed away but from what I've read about him he was very brave.

I've run out of words to say but it's not the same without him
Old 11 June 2007, 20:15   #182
Konrad

I can just second what Killergorilla said. I'm really impressed by what Paul did and achieved. Although his passing still makes me sad, the message definately makes me feel better, hearing that he was happy person. Thanks alot for posting bippym.
Old 11 June 2007, 21:13   #183
Thalion
Amiga Collector

I only knew him through this forum but i never thought he might have a disease (if thats the right word). He seemed really "normal" to me and much more important, really capable in what he was doing.

Thank you for this post about him.
Old 11 June 2007, 23:59   #184
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Thanks so much for posting that bippy, it was an interesting and emotional read,
Old 12 June 2007, 06:20   #185
Dizzy
Pirate

thx bippy

nice read
Old 12 June 2007, 12:38   #186
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Paul was diagnosed at 4 years old, had to endure daily physiotherapy, wear night splints to stop his ankles contracting, progressed to callipers, went off his feet at about 8 years old and was confined to a wheelchair from then onwards. At 26, he could only use a computer if you put his hand on the mouse – then he was brilliant! He couldn't do anything personal for himself, was on a liquid diet and used a ventilator at night and a few times during the day.

And none of us had the slightest idea about it, had he?

But well ... it probably was the best thing that could be done, because everybody has solely witnessed Paul's human "soft-skills" (such as empathy) instead of witnessing his physical presence and maybe become biased afterwards.

BTW...can't we say Paul was lucky despite his disability? Supposed all this happened 30 years ago, NO PERSONAL COMPUTERS and probably hardly any way to make something useful out of his life.
Now we have the Internet, and despite his physical disabilities, he was able to be creative by creating web sites!! And he probably did this miles better than others who would never be able to craft a decent layout! Until the early 1990s, web sites did not exist! So he can be lucky to have lived in the proper epoch, can't he?

Last edited by andreas; 12 June 2007 at 12:47.
Old 12 June 2007, 14:26   #187
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I was shocked to hear of Paul's death. I only ever knew him from his posts here, but you could tell he was a nice guy. After hearing of his death, I experienced a deep sense of loss that I've rarely felt.

What a strange time we live in. You can develop an attachment to a person you've never met on the other side of the world.
Old 12 June 2007, 14:43   #188
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
I was shocked to hear of Paul's death. I only ever knew him from his posts here, but you could tell he was a nice guy. After hearing of his death, I experienced a deep sense of loss that I've rarely felt.

What a strange time we live in. You can develop an attachment to a person you've never met on the other side of the world.
Yeah, very, very strange. I felt the same. It's not the easiest thing to explain really.
Old 12 June 2007, 15:58   #189
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Yeah, very, very strange. I felt the same. It's not the easiest thing to explain really.
You're so right about that.
Old 12 June 2007, 22:25   #190
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Everyone here who chatted with Paul knew he was a huge step above the ordinary. Truly, Paul is an amazing person. And it is rare that someone so far away could make me feel warm and sense his kindness and sweet disposition. I think of Paul often. Though I can't really see him as a meanie (Ramses) :O
Old 20 June 2007, 20:27   #191
MarlboroMan
Space for rent

Somehow i missed that Paul passed away.
Im sure its not too late to send my deepest condolences to his family.

R.I.P Paul
Old 22 June 2007, 21:09   #192
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

I'm really sorry to hear the sad news, my deepest condolences to Paul's family. Its such a shock. I've not been on the forums for a while and it's sad to return to such sad news.

We will miss you Paul. God bless.
Old 23 June 2007, 18:33   #193
MainCore

It is always...

...a sad ocassion to hear that someone you know, even slightly, passed away. But in this case it is even sadder because he is a valuable member of the Amiga community. You will be missed.

Name:  zia_carnation.gif
Views: 1029
Size:  933 Bytes

Old 28 June 2007, 14:54   #194
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
Everyone here who chatted with Paul knew he was a huge step above the ordinary. Truly, Paul is an amazing person. And it is rare that someone so far away could make me feel warm and sense his kindness and sweet disposition. I think of Paul often. Though I can't really see him as a meanie (Ramses) :O

Ditto Fred & KG's postings & reaffirming what had been said earlier on. As a newbie to the board eons ago Paul was certainly amongst the top guys here for his knowledge on the Amiga & helpfulness-& always counted on for a topical avatar of the day depending on forum topics/in-jokes going around at the time.
Old 07 July 2007, 01:50   #195
django

Hey - just saw it today - been busy rippin for misc mod archives (AMP YEAH! ) no.. it's so shit when some of US passes away. I don't now how to relief the pain from those left behind other than say the spirit of the Amiga Community is still here! Our new goal is to KEEP our legacy alive and collect all we can from the "golden days" into one archive "scene.org" is NOT the one... no movement is going on. = the idea is good but.... AMP is good for the music's but please what about the rest!! ???? & before everbody leaves us - think about it - Amiga was our identity .... Django

Old 07 July 2007, 02:00   #196
django

PS: HAVE YA EVER DRUNKEN A BOTTLE OF ROT WEIN AND LISTENING TO AMIGA "SCHLAGERS" - WELL..... nice my friend!! it helps your heartache and innerdeep thoughts!!!

Old 07 July 2007, 04:45   #197
AmigaWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
I know it's difficult for you newer/and less active members and hearing your condolences is nice

Paul will be smiling down
I know I have not been active member. As much as would like be.
Haven't been visiting this board much until now. I'am sorry to here
about Paul. My deepest condolences to his family.
Old 08 July 2007, 00:14   #198
hal
where am i ?

wow... i didn't know this until now...

rest in peace paul
Old 08 July 2007, 01:15   #199
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
I only knew Paul for a short time before he died. I had read his contributions, but it wasn't until later when he edited a few pages on my wiki, that i had any personal contact with him. And, i am sure you will all agree, despite paul's disability, he contributed a lot to the forum, and to the Amiga "scene"..He will be remembered and missed.

Last edited by BuZz; 08 July 2007 at 15:57.
Old 23 August 2007, 14:21   #200
BippyM
Global Moderator

Hey guys,

I received an email off Paul's mum a few days ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia
Hi Mark

Hope you are well. Just to let you know that the Font has arrived at the Church. Just got to get a plaque now. Will take photo when we can!
Can't wait to see the font and plaque and have it permanently on view on EAB too for the world too see how special our friend was