English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 July 2003, 13:06   #1
Tim Janssen

Roll eyes (sarcastic) The Commodore brand

This topic is quite causing quite a commotion in the Commodore 64 community:

Quote:
Ironstone and Tulip invite the Commodore community to join the official Commodore C64 web-portal. Currently there are about 300 commercial websites that use the name Commodore or Commodore 64 without having a license from Tulip. Tulip will not allow unauthorised use of the Commodore brand.
Read the full article here. Read the thoughts of the C64 community at Lemon64 Forum.

I am really getting sick of companies who are trying to squeeze out every last penny of Internet initiatives. Every time when individuals come up with creative, informative sites or shrines a big pesky corporation comes up claiming a percentage because they have the rights on a logo/name/colour/phrase/idea whatever.
Tulip owns the Commodore brand name and logo. I think they bought the brand back in 1997, put some PCs on the market with a Commodore sticker on it, and that is it! I know they ran into financial difficulties the past few years and this is their final last gesture before their inevitable death. But this claim is the saddest case I have ever seen. I am ashamed I live in the same country as those Tulip perps.

What are your thoughts about this?
Old 14 July 2003, 13:12   #2
IFW

We see this everyday about the miggy... nothing new there
Old 14 July 2003, 15:31   #3
Parsec

From the article on The Register, perhaps it is not as bad as it sounds:

Quote:
However, Melbourne was keen to stress that the company (Ironstone) isn't going to put the squeeze on the many fan sites. Non-commercial sites will be allowed to continue just as they are, he pledged. "The C64 has only stayed alive because of the fans," he added.
Whilst I'm not supporting what they are doing, they say they're only after the commercial sites, which are making money off a brand they now own. Al least they're not going to try and shut down all the not-for-profit stuff like some greedy organisations would...

What commercial sites are they talking about though? It sounds like the main people who will be affected are the developers who sell (rather than give away) C64 emulators
Old 14 July 2003, 15:39   #4
Parsec

Quote:
Originally posted by Parsec
From the article on The Register, perhaps it is not as bad as it sounds:
Have just read the Lemon64 discussion maybe it is bad
Old 14 July 2003, 15:40   #5
IFW

No it is more likely about C= One and things like that, using original/enchanced hw design rebuilt with today's hw.

unrelated:
"(rather than give away)"
Any author can charge for his/her work it is his IP, not anyone else's to decide. Some people need the money to have the time to develop, some don't.
If you don't consider yourself lucky.
Some may encounter a situation in their life to either ask money or kill the project.
It is work like anything else, and you expect money for your work so it is safe to assume that others do the same...

e.g. the guy responsible for ccs64 is living on a low income, and if you can afford you should register it if you find it useful. If not, don't use it.
Old 14 July 2003, 16:18   #6
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs down

I'm with you Tim, I'm rather suspicious of their motives regardless of what they claim. Despite the labor of love from the emulation community, it does seem rather coincidental they suddenly bob up like this without warning.

I read an interesting comment though-they surely couldn't claim any royalty/ownership over 99% of the games out there, as CBM were NOT a publisher ala Sega/Nintendo, & don't have any right to claim anything on them. (apart from the handful CBM made themselves, which you'd count on one hand)

If there's nothing for the emualtion community to worry about, why go spreading fear & panic over "unauthorised use"?
Old 14 July 2003, 18:06   #7
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Who made this thing then? Tulip? Got two of these! Bought em about a year ago. Sad to see a once great name reduced to being used to brand PC accessories
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frontsmall.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	5374  
Old 14 July 2003, 18:08   #8
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	5375  
Old 14 July 2003, 18:21   #9
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Re: The Commodore brand

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
This topic is quite causing quite a commotion in the Commodore 64 community:

Read the full article here. Read the thoughts of the C64 community at Lemon64 Forum.

I am really getting sick of companies who are trying to squeeze out every last penny of Internet initiatives. Every time when individuals come up with creative, informative sites or shrines a big pesky corporation comes up claiming a percentage because they have the rights on a logo/name/colour/phrase/idea whatever.
Tulip owns the Commodore brand name and logo. I think they bought the brand back in 1997, put some PCs on the market with a Commodore sticker on it, and that is it! I know they ran into financial difficulties the past few years and this is their final last gesture before their inevitable death. But this claim is the saddest case I have ever seen. I am ashamed I live in the same country as those Tulip perps.

What are your thoughts about this?
If they own the name they can protect it from other people using it. If its ok for people to plaster Commodore all over their websites then why cant I start a shoe company and plaster NIKE all over mine?
Old 14 July 2003, 18:22   #10
Amiga1992

I know Tulip will KILL the brand (Retroman's example above is really a great example, that's mean man! Commodore CD furniture!), however, I DO feel happy that those fuckers that sell PCs under the Commodore brand get nailed. Here some twats sell lame PC clones under the Commodore brand, and they have the nerve to claim "The Comomdore is back, but more powerful". Give me a fucking break!

I justhope these shitheads dont get ballistic over sites like Lemon. Nevertheless, the commodore community is too fucking strong for them, everyone all across demo groups would smother Tulip to death.
Old 14 July 2003, 23:10   #11
ant512

What stinks most of all is the way they pretend to be promoting the C64 scene and helping C64 fans.

"We're in discussion with some random company, of whom you have never heard, who want to resurrect the Commodore brand! We'll prosecute everyone else using the Commodore name! And, you know what? Us getting lots of money from lawsuits will benefit *you*. Don't you feel special?"

Bunch of crap. They've noticed that they have IP that they can exploit, and they're announcing this under the pretence of helping what's left of the Commodore fanbase.

I don't think that SCO are going to get away with it ("Oh no! I've suddenly realised that we're a crap company whose products can't compete with anything else on the market! How can we restore our flagging business? Lawsuits!"), and I from the response I've seen so far, Tulip aren't fooling anyone either.

If we're lucky, the Commodore curse will strike (Commodore, Escom, Viscorp, Amiga Technologies, and it looks like Amiga Inc are going to same way) and Tulip will end up bankrupt within a year.

I hate leeches, vultures and grave-robbers.
Old 14 July 2003, 23:21   #12
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by ant512

So tell us how you really feel

I do agree with you on this, there is so much IP crap going on in the world now it makes you wonder if the common good and public domain will ever see the light of day again
Old 14 July 2003, 23:37   #13
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by ant512
What stinks most of all is the way they pretend to be promoting the C64 scene and helping C64 fans.
bla bla bla bla bla bla...

Wow who peed on you cornflakes.....

In Denmark TULIP is a Slaughterhouse (making Bacon etc)
Old 15 July 2003, 00:19   #14
ant512

Hey, it might turn out that I've just spent too much time reading Slashdot, and Tulip might deliver some sort of exciting retro-themed hardware and software.
Old 15 July 2003, 00:43   #15
jmmijo

Yeah, and monkies might fly outta my butt too
Old 15 July 2003, 00:55   #16
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
Yeah, and monkies might fly outta my butt too
Are we talking monkeys with wings like in the wizard of oz, or monkeys using a 727 passenger jet?
Old 15 July 2003, 01:02   #17
jmmijo

Neither, just generic ASS monkeys
Old 15 July 2003, 01:03   #18
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Are we talking monkeys with wings like in the wizard of oz, or monkeys using a 727 passenger jet?
depends on the size of your ASS.

I prefer to spank my monkey (pathetic joke)
Old 15 July 2003, 01:53   #19
jmmijo

Old 15 July 2003, 04:41   #20
Sigfrodi

Send a message via MSN to Sigfrodi
Is Tulip the same brand that built computers during the 80's?

The stuffs Antiriad showed are rather weird! Such a shame to use Commodore's name this way. Some may think that it's better than nothing, but I really don't!

Anyway, there's that website under construction :

http://www.commodore.net/

It has the Commodore logo. Anybody knows what it is?