English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 July 2003, 20:25   #21
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Cheers Rattus me gal! I shall download this, then try it out on my 060 Desktop A1200 - should be interesting....ill let you all know what its like ok?
Old 26 July 2003, 21:12   #22
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Did anyone play universal soldier on the mega drive? It was a total turrican rip! it had the same levels, weapons and gameplay they just changed the charicters!
Old 26 July 2003, 21:42   #23
rattus

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick_AKA
Did anyone play universal soldier on the mega drive? It was a total turrican rip! it had the same levels, weapons and gameplay they just changed the charicters!
It probably was Turrican, they just changed the title for the MD release

I always found Katakis/Denaris a funny game. I imagine the developers saying "hey, since we love R-Type so much lets code ourselves a rip-off!" maybe IREM were so impressed they let them do the official port later on

@Antiriad, you're welcome. I'm not even gonna try it with my A1200/030! IMHO 3D games suck on the amiga
Old 26 July 2003, 21:50   #24
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally posted by rattus
It probably was Turrican, they just changed the title for the MD release
Sort of. In Edge last month there was a Making Of... of Turrican. It explains that Factor5 were most unhappy with Accolade slapping a Universal Solider licence on it.

Quote:
Big-Byte's FTP
What's that then?
Old 26 July 2003, 22:09   #25
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Hmmm, well i cant get the game to run. I need the three right .CON files, the ones Rattus very kindly supplied me with arent being liked. They arent very big - 150K in total. Im sure the "Duke Group" file (which has to be renamed to Duke.Grp) is fine tho - and thats the biggie at 42MB.

I had downloaded the older version of this game for the PC, but it didnt like those ones either
Old 26 July 2003, 22:32   #26
th4t1guy

The win32 port is pretty much crap. It runs, but it's got what I presume to be sound issues (momentary pauses).

Has anyone managed a port of ROTT for the miggy?
Old 26 July 2003, 22:40   #27
Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by Antiriad
Hmmm, well i cant get the game to run. I need the three right .CON files, the ones Rattus very kindly supplied me with arent being liked. They arent very big - 150K in total. Im sure the "Duke Group" file (which has to be renamed to Duke.Grp) is fine tho - and thats the biggie at 42MB.

I had downloaded the older version of this game for the PC, but it didnt like those ones either
The ones I have definitely work, so to save you downloading it all again from NightShade737 who should be hosting it soon I have attached the three CON files you're having trouble with.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: zip cons.zip (42.5 KB, 209 views)
Old 26 July 2003, 22:42   #28
Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by th4t1guy
The win32 port is pretty much crap. It runs, but it's got what I presume to be sound issues (momentary pauses).

Has anyone managed a port of ROTT for the miggy?
Runs great for me, but I heard there's an issue at some point in the game so haven't yet run through it all - although I'm itching to

Sounds are perfect, and I get no lag - don't think the music works yet though (not missing much there, MIDI - blech, lol).
Old 26 July 2003, 23:31   #29
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally posted by rattus
[B]It probably was Turrican, they just changed the title for the MD release
Dont look like it, the charicter you play is a bit too universal soldier like and the big bad guys all look like dolph lundgren!
Old 26 July 2003, 23:45   #30
th4t1guy

Quote:
Runs great for me, but I heard there's an issue at some point in the game so haven't yet run through it all - although I'm itching to

Sounds are perfect, and I get no lag - don't think the music works yet though (not missing much there, MIDI - blech, lol).
Hmm...maybe we are using different versions of the port. I get music in mine, and it behaves almost exactly like the original, except occasionally the thing will pause, making it impossible to really enjoy the game at all.
Old 27 July 2003, 02:03   #31
Echo

Quote:
Hmm...maybe we are using different versions of the port. I get music in mine, and it behaves almost exactly like the original, except occasionally the thing will pause, making it impossible to really enjoy the game at all.
I'm using this one.

What spec PC are you running it on? I have an Athlon XP2400+, 512MB and a Geforce 3.
Old 27 July 2003, 02:33   #32
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quite strange doing a win32 port when my old dos version on cd runs great in windows xp with no problems at all! :eek
Old 27 July 2003, 02:37   #33
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Incidentally the NUKE IT level pack for duke 3d is only 21meg on the CD! if anyone wants me to be naughty and find the webspace to upload em then i will

It contains 300 extra levels including some wicked deathmatches
Old 27 July 2003, 03:04   #34
th4t1guy

Quote:
I'm using this one.

What spec PC are you running it on? I have an Athlon XP2400+, 512MB and a Geforce 3.
I'm using a p3 800, SBLive Value, 512meg, Geforce 2 MX.

The framerate is fine, it just that sometimes, the thing will freeze up, like it's loading, only, its not loading.

@Mick

The win32 port is for people who want sound, as DOS soundblaster emulation is only available through a wrapper like VDMsound, which is complete crap.
Old 27 July 2003, 11:55   #35
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Thanks for the CON files Echo! Right then...now i loaded this onto HD but it took AGES to load up and when it did, the menu screen wouldnt appear.

It also moaned upon startup about a missing toccata.library which i proceeded to download from Aminet, but then the game crashed instead!

Anyway, i then ran it off cd, and it got the menu screen, but the menu itself is stuck.

The background aint moving either. It looks like a large brown ceiling and a standard stone wall beneath it taking up all the screen.

Im wondering whether its cos its the Mac version might have something to do with it? I dunno...
Old 27 July 2003, 12:09   #36
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Cool

Mick: E-Mail me ( Ben AT atomnet.co.uk ) the pack and I will put it for all to use. As I only host my site on my ADSL, but I have unlimited space and bandwidth on other sites that I have managed to get (mate of mine is on an 8Mb pipe and I have unlimited BW and space there).

Duke 3D - http://atomnet.co.uk/dl?depot=DN3D.rar
Old 27 July 2003, 12:28   #37
BobRedthorp
Huge member

Just downloaded the PC version from Big-Byte's FTP, it works great, even better than I expected.

I thought there may have been slow down, but not at all

Does anyone know of any other good ports of other classic dos games to win32?

Id love to find one for Discworld as it wont work on my PC not even on virtual pc!
Old 27 July 2003, 12:38   #38
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:

@Mick

The win32 port is for people who want sound, as DOS soundblaster emulation is only available through a wrapper like VDMsound, which is complete crap.
The sound works perfectly on my dos version! :eek
It helps that I have a SB Live card which emulates AWE64 really well, I just set the sound effects to AWE64 and music to GENERAL MIDI and it all works faultlessly!
Old 27 July 2003, 13:08   #39
rattus

hmmm... I think that maybe the data files were altered slightly for the Mac port. This usually happens and makes 3rd party maps/etc unplayable. Blame MacSoft for being lazy dicks Sorry guys, I tried
Old 27 July 2003, 14:37   #40
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Actually Rattus me gal, im beginnign to theorise that its due to the sound problems. When you dont have the library installed, it then asks you for a physical location to place the sound output.

I had previously put this in the ram. Now...im guessing that basically the sound files ate up all my RAM and then it was that that froze the game.

Because when i chose a HD location, i got two files called L and R on my hard drive. That and it caused a checksum error on my Amiga HD which i am now trying to repair with DiskSalv...

I ought to harrass the ports author....