English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 May 2016, 01:57   #341
Heiroglyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
I like what you did there. But honestly, this OpenPCI release, at this point of time... does not change much for the existing solutions. Of course it is great, if potentially someone decides to create a new PCI bridge (no point in implementing 12th or so PCI API in Amiga land).

However, using binary "backend" drivers is problematic. They are full of bugs. In theory you can write a single driver using OpenPCI API and have it work with G-REX, Mediator, Prometheus etc. But in reality try to write a more complex driver... and you'll discover really, really ugly stuff. In my opinion the next-generation of OpenPCI should completely dump the bugged vendor drivers and reimplement them from scratch. Of course the only vendor that provided documentation was Matay for their Prometheus, but G-REX and Mediator were sufficiently reverse engineered by now. Just 3 cents from someone who did that awful reverse engineering work .

Btw. if you want some examples of breakage in vendor drivers, check out various issues in SonnetAmiga project (which uses Elbox's pci.library) and search forums for threads related to Ratte's OpenPCI Radeon driver.
I didn't start this recently, this is very old code I got permission to open source.

It made a lot of sense to write this so that one driver could work on multiple vendor's hardware and since they were closed, that's how it had to work or else not exist.

I agree with you but you can see why it was done.

If nobody writes open back ends then at least it's one more library that isn't lost completely.
Old 12 July 2016, 19:56   #342
Ratte

i love openpci, thats real nice stuff
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...ostcount%3D173
It unifies everything, except for the graphics cards.
But ... hey ... why not write a single OpenGFX-driver.
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=576
Old 12 July 2016, 20:12   #343
emufan

the pdf attachement is not accessible, like most images in a1k postings, very annoying.
Old 19 August 2016, 06:16   #344
wXR

https://github.com/jens-maus/amissl

AmiSSL is the AmigaOS/MorphOS/AROS port of OpenSSL. It wraps the full functionality of OpenSSL into a full-fledged Amiga shared library that makes it possible for Amiga applications to use the full OpenSSL API through a standard Amiga shared library interface (e.g. web browsers wanting to support HTTPS, etc)
Old 19 August 2016, 06:18   #345
wXR

https://github.com/mntmn/amiga2000-gfxcard

MNT VA2000, an Amiga 2000 Graphics Card (Zorro II), written in Verilog
Old 19 August 2016, 06:19   #346
wXR

https://github.com/spifd/MyAmigaIntros

Some intro sources from the group Agile
Old 19 August 2016, 10:51   #347
AJCopland

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
https://github.com/mntmn/amiga2000-gfxcard

MNT VA2000, an Amiga 2000 Graphics Card (Zorro II), written in Verilog
He also has an active Zorro3 branch if anyone on here is interested in what he's doing.

https://github.com/mntmn/amiga2000-gfxcard/tree/zorro3
Old 19 August 2016, 16:18   #348
hal9000
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
https://github.com/jens-maus/amissl

AmiSSL is the AmigaOS/MorphOS/AROS port of OpenSSL. It wraps the full functionality of OpenSSL into a full-fledged Amiga shared library that makes it possible for Amiga applications to use the full OpenSSL API through a standard Amiga shared library interface (e.g. web browsers wanting to support HTTPS, etc)

What's the status of AmiSSL 4 development for 68k amiga ?
Can someone contact Jens Maus ?
Old 19 August 2016, 19:30   #349
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
What's the status of AmiSSL 4 development for 68k amiga ?

Can someone contact Jens Maus ?

You could?
Old 30 August 2016, 17:50   #350
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Hi,
While searching for Atari ST games source code I found this repo, look nice you can even find games sources code! Mostly Sukiya the unreleased adventure game by Lankhor, not sure if it's finished anyone wanna build it?
And lot of demos, sorry but did not get time to analyze all this just found them this morning.

There's also a Mangnetic Fields folder!

https://github.com/ggnkua/Atari_ST_Sources

Enjoy!

Kamelito
News about Atari ST Sukiya http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari...iya_30739.html
Old 30 August 2016, 19:59   #351
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
What exactly does this have to do with open source?
Old 02 September 2016, 14:55   #352
cmsj

Apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere - I may have missed it in the 18 pages of this thread

First off, thanks to everyone on here for collecting together various links and saying good things about the idea of open sourcing.

I have been wondering recently about trying to recover source for older apps - there have been people who have managed to do it in the past, and I was considering emailing all of the authors listed on aminet (around 13,000) to ask if they could release any/all Amiga source they still have access to.

I would expect that most of the email addresses would bounce, and between ignores/rants/refusals, the actual success rate would be very low, but it's a cheap operation and maybe it gets a small amount of interesting source released.

Anyone have any thoughts on the idea?
Old 02 September 2016, 17:03   #353
idrougge

What do you want to accomplish by securing the source code? Learn C, E or Modula-2 and add bells and whistles to a program no-one uses? There is enough open source code for the Amiga already, but no-one working on it.
Old 02 September 2016, 18:31   #354
cmsj

Hey

Let me start by saying I'm a little surprised by this reply, it seems somewhat defeatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
What do you want to accomplish by securing the source code?
I want to accomplish the source code being publicly available.

That is, in and of itself, a worthwhile goal in my opinion - for a variety of reasons, not least of which is the historical archiving of cultural artefacts that were important to a lot of people.

Quote:
Learn C, E or Modula-2 and add bells and whistles to a program no-one uses?
Well firstly if the code is public, it's not just on me to add bells and whistles, anyone can, at any point in the future.

Would I work on everything? Heck no.

Are there Amiga programs/utilities/drivers that I would very much like to add a feature to? Or fix a bug in? Heck yes.

Quote:
There is enough open source code for the Amiga already, but no-one working on it.
I'm really sorry about this, but that last sentence is just a complete misconception. We are such a small community now, we should be encouraging people who are leaving, or who have left, to bequeath their works to those they leave behind.

We would be stronger with more code. There can never be enough open source code.

I'll give you a concrete example, I've always really liked MCP, but there are some things I really want it to do, that it can't. It's been unmaintained for a few years, so there is nobody for me to ask to do the work, and at some point there will be nobody who even could do the work because the source will become lost. If I can persuade the copyright owners to release it, then there will never be a time when some suitably motivated individual can't fix a bug or add a feature to it.

Maybe nobody ever decides to do that, maybe they do. I see no reason to give up without even trying
Old 02 September 2016, 23:44   #355
copse

I emailed two people and asked for their source, they both offered it when they cleaned it up. Been several years since then and they have better things to do. Good luck with the aminet spam! When I get it, I'll mark it as spam.
Old 05 September 2016, 15:40   #356
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
Let me start by saying I'm a little surprised by this reply, it seems somewhat defeatist.
Call it defaitist if you like, personally I prefer to call it cynical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj
Well firstly if the code is public, it's not just on me to add bells and whistles, anyone can, at any point in the future.
That's what I was questioning. We're not lacking source code — we're lacking people who work on source code.

Quote:
Are there Amiga programs/utilities/drivers that I would very much like to add a feature to? Or fix a bug in? Heck yes.
In that case, go ahead. That's a very noble endeavour.

Quote:
We would be stronger with more code. There can never be enough open source code.
But that's just "nice to have", having source code for the sake of it. What we really need is programs, not source code.

Quote:
I'll give you a concrete example, I've always really liked MCP, but there are some things I really want it to do, that it can't. It's been unmaintained for a few years, so there is nobody for me to ask to do the work, and at some point there will be nobody who even could do the work because the source will become lost. If I can persuade the copyright owners to release it, then there will never be a time when some suitably motivated individual can't fix a bug or add a feature to it.
Unless you yourself step up to do that work, that source code is most likely just as useless as no source code at all.

Going back on topic, here's some sources which could use some C programmer's attention: http://www.david-mcminn.co.uk/blitz-...bss_source.lha

It's the last sources for the never-released update of Blitz Basic 2 and its TED editor.

Not that I think that it matters, since C coders seldom see a point in working on tools for "lesser" languages.
Old 05 September 2016, 16:49   #357
wXR

I think it is an awesome and noble task you set before yourself cmsj. Never mind the naysayers.
Old 05 September 2016, 16:52   #358
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
That's what I was questioning. We're not lacking source code — we're lacking people who work on source code.
We are lacking source - very few Amiga projects come with source (in comparison to the number of closed projects). There have been times in the past where I would have liked to have had the ability to look into/fix a bug with something myself but have been unable to due to the code not being available.

I love the fact on Linux I can contribute fixes back to software - it's really useful.
Old 05 September 2016, 17:08   #359
wXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
We are lacking source - very few Amiga projects come with source (in comparison to the number of closed projects). There have been times in the past where I would have liked to have had the ability to look into/fix a bug with something myself but have been unable to due to the code not being available.

I love the fact on Linux I can contribute fixes back to software - it's really useful.
Indeed it is useful. As I have said earlier, what this brings is options: The software's development can outlive its owner should anyone be interested enough to carry it forward. Plus the old adage that many eyes make all bugs shallow, is only possible when there is even the possibility of many eyes.

Last edited by wXR; 05 September 2016 at 17:19.
Old 05 September 2016, 17:21   #360
wXR

cmsj may I suggest that you also upload a package to Aminet containing a document about your project, so that there can be some "message in a bottle" left to those who have no valid email address anymore, etc?