English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 October 2012, 02:50   #101
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

@prowler
Cheers for the work. If you have done the binary file editor work great , if not I would just leave it as is, the readme is linked to as a separate file on the downloads page.

Quote:
I really don't think it's worth preserving the earlier version of AIAB-r10b, unless you wish to include it for the benefit of 'completists', in which case I will upload that too
I agree, as long as we have a version (preferably final) of the 'update previous version' and 'full install of new version' then that is satisfactory.

As pointed out below we will only go as far back as version 2. Note however I will not spend any time looking for v2-v3, I am happy that we have got as far back as version 4, thanks to the contributions from of the community.

Thanks for highlighting the post from BarryB, completely missed that one. Sorry BarryB, please upload those files thanks. (little pm sent to BarryB )

The legal side of things:

I have read some of Jaybee's comments saying that no illegal files are contained in the archives after version 1.6. So to be on the safe side, any version prior to V2 will not be hosted on the new site.

I am at the moment checking every install and archive through to installation to make sure that no roms are included and that the workbench disk is requested and that a copy process is fulfilled. These archives have been in the wild too long and I want to make sure they are 100% legal as Jaybee went to a lot of work to make them so.

As far as apps like DOpus v4 are concerned, Jaybee got permission to distribute these apps with his AIAB distributions, as long as the archives etc are unmodified then those permissions still stand. The only difference is they are being hosted on another server. Note: I don't count restoring an archive/file to it's original state as a modification.

As far as new updates/versions etc, are concerned, permissions will have to be renewed because they have a new maintainer. Out of respect and courtesy permissions will also be re-requested for the old files.

I wonder if anyone is in contact with Jaybee. It would be good to get his blessing for all this. Maybe I should try his old eMail address.

One other thing, I like Acknowledgement pages/sections so those that have or will contribute get a mention .
Old 06 October 2012, 06:04   #102
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

Future version archive format:

As MS-Windows uses the CR+LF characters and AmigaOS and *Nix uses just the LF characters, there would possibly be two archive distributions zip and exe for windows, and tar.gz Or lha for Amiga and *Nix.

So the question is tar.gz Or lha for the LF only files. Ooorrr, I could just use zip archive for these with a .LF prefix to the filename e.g.*.LF.zip.

Thought I'd get this question out the way while it's in my head. Yes I do lose questions, they have a sneaky habit of escaping through my ears, little blighters.

Ideas are worse because they are like radiation and bounce of the brain cells leaving a residual trace, however this trace in some instance has a half life of 'I had it a split second ago', and then its gone.
Old 06 October 2012, 12:42   #103
BarryB
Amigaholic

@prowler: Uploaded those files to The Zone, MadAgnus PM'd me, glad I didn't delete them now
Old 06 October 2012, 16:59   #104
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAngus View Post
Future version archive format:

As MS-Windows uses the CR+LF characters and AmigaOS and *Nix uses just the LF characters, there would possibly be two archive distributions zip and exe for windows, and tar.gz Or lha for Amiga and *Nix.

So the question is tar.gz Or lha for the LF only files. Ooorrr, I could just use zip archive for these with a .LF prefix to the filename e.g.*.LF.zip.
Well, since AIAB is an environment for Amiga Emulation, I would prefer it if the Amiga archives were distributed in the more appropriate lha format, since they can readily be opened on *nix platforms as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
@prowler: Uploaded those files to The Zone, MadAgnus PM'd me, glad I didn't delete them now
Thankyou very much, Barry. I'm glad you didn't delete them too.

Quote:
@prowler
Cheers for the work. If you have done the binary file editor work great , if not I would just leave it as is, the readme is linked to as a separate file on the downloads page.
I will have completed fixing that archive by this evening, and will upload it to The Zone for you then.

As you will have experienced when trying to salvage files using The Wayback Machine, it is very frustrating when the file you have downloaded appears to be at odds with the readme file and other indications on the web page, so it's better to get it right if possible.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I really don't think it's worth preserving the earlier version of AIAB-r10b, unless you wish to include it for the benefit of 'completists', in which case I will upload that too
I agree, as long as we have a version (preferably final) of the 'update previous version' and 'full install of new version' then that is satisfactory.
Yes, both the AIAB-r10b Windows installer and zip archive/update files on the downloads page are of the final version, as confirmed above.

The MacAIAB-r10b.sit file is the earlier version, but that was the only r10b release for Macintosh, AFAIK.

Quote:
The legal side of things:

I have read some of Jaybee's comments saying that no illegal files are contained in the archives after version 1.6. So to be on the safe side, any version prior to V2 will not be hosted on the new site.
I am confident that you will find no Kickstart ROM or Workbench disk images in Jaybee's archives. I am sure that by 'illegal files' he means those containing GIF code, as I mentioned above, and they are no longer considered illegal now anyway.

Any Kickstart ROM or Workbench disk images you do find will have been included by persons other than Jaybee after their release. Certainly, you will find none in the files I provide - they will all be original and unmodified, except where I have fixed the readme files, etc. and all such changes will be notified in this thread.
Old 06 October 2012, 22:34   #105
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

@BarryB
Thank you for the files .

@prowler
By 2 votes, LHA for the Amiga it is then.

Quote:
I am confident that you will find no Kickstart ROM or Workbench disk images in Jaybee's archives. I am sure that by 'illegal files' he means those containing GIF code, as I mentioned above, and they are no longer considered illegal now anyway.

Any Kickstart ROM or Workbench disk images you do find will have been included by persons other than Jaybee after their release. Certainly, you will find none in the files I provide - they will all be original and unmodified, except where I have fixed the readme files, etc. and all such changes will be notified in this thread.
Exactly my thoughts esspecially the underlined "by persons other than Jaybee".

We're doing well folks thanks. Now back to AIAB work.
Old 07 October 2012, 00:24   #106
prowler
Global Moderator

@BarryB: The archive you uploaded to The Zone contains four unique archives as follows:
  • aiab-internet1.zip and aiab-internet2.zip: aiab-internet.zip archive versions 1.0 and 1.1. (The existing version on the AIAB downloads page is version 1.2.)
  • r10-update.zip : aiab-r10-update.zip. This is not the full zip archive, but an update. However, it's not clear what purpose it serves, because it appears to be too small to extract over the previous version (r8) and bring it up to date. This will require some investigation...
  • aiab-apps1.zip : This is an early archive from 20-JAN-1999 containing the EaglePlayer2, ExoticRipper and OctaMED sound applications and AmFTP, AmIRC, and Voyager internet applications. It was probably intended as an add-on for early versions of AIAB, but in later versions these applications (or replacements for them) were included in the main archive.

@MadAngus: This evening, I have at last fixed the final release aiab-r10d.zip archive, replacing the WIP2 Update.txt readme file dated 15-FEB-2003 with the correct one dated 22-MAY-2005 without touching anything else, and I have also created aiab-r10d.rar and aiab-r10d.7z files with identical content.

By the time you read this, they will be in The Zone for you.

From AIAB-r10, Jaybee began distributing his installers using the NullSoft Scriptable Install System (NSIS). I have downloaded a contemporary version of this installer creator from SourceForge with a view to providing a realistic aiab-r10d.exe installer as well. If this is successful, I will consider doing the same for Jaybee's later 10.5 and 10.6 versions prior to your taking over the development.
Old 07 October 2012, 00:40   #107
BarryB
Amigaholic

@prowler: Those files were downloaded from Jaybees AIAB site when it was still running so they are legit files. Should the r10-update only be used on the full r10 release?

Have also found the AIAB r10 installer, simply called aiab.exe (nullsoft installer v1.2) If you want it let me know!!
Old 07 October 2012, 01:02   #108
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
@prowler: Those files were downloaded from Jaybees AIAB site when it was still running so they are legit files. Should the r10-update only be used on the full r10 release?
I can't see what that would achieve, unless there were bugs in the original r10 release, which this update was designed to fix, but which didn't justify bumping the version to r10a.

I will look into this by installing r10 and applying the r10-update and noting what changes are made.

Quote:
Have also found the AIAB r10 installer, simply called aiab.exe (nullsoft installer v1.2) If you want it let me know!!

The aiab-r10.exe I uploaded to The Zone is also a NullSoft Installer v1.2 and the filesize is 4,036,760 bytes. If yours has the same filesize, then it's probably identical to what we already have.

However, if yours is different, then please upload it, but stick with the aiab.exe filename to avoid overwriting mine.
Old 07 October 2012, 01:21   #109
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

The r10 installer readme is dated 27/03/01 and the r10-update readme is dated 18/04/01. Interesting.
Old 07 October 2012, 08:57   #110
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

Site is now back online.

The only changes from the original backup is a modified download page and the restructuring of the site.

I've removed a couple of rar's from the archive section as they are just a duplicate of the zips.

That will change in time.
Old 07 October 2012, 12:56   #111
BarryB
Amigaholic

@prowler: It's the same file if its the same SHA-1: DB1646B61736972E972CE663C21A72CAAB61701C checksum!
Old 07 October 2012, 18:40   #112
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
yep, just manually copy over whdload files overwriting old ones.
I have never had it not work before. what errors do you get?
The original version 15 WHDLOAD in this pack is in Winuae\Harddrives\Workbench\C

My WHDLOAD + KEY is in Winuae\Harddrives\Workbench\L

When i load a game it still uses WHDLOAD version 15 not my 17, if i copy over the WHDLOAD+KEY to \C it breaks WHDLOAD.
Old 07 October 2012, 20:15   #113
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
@prowler: It's the same file if its the same SHA-1: DB1646B61736972E972CE663C21A72CAAB61701C checksum!
That's a shame. The r10-update.zip archive you uploaded is indeed an update for AIAB-r10, to be extracted right over the original installation.

I had hoped that we would also find an updated AIAB-r10 installer incorporating all these changes. I'll see if it's possible to create one eventually.

Edit:
Quote:
@MadAngus: This evening, I have at last fixed the final release aiab-r10d.zip archive, replacing the WIP2 Update.txt readme file dated 15-FEB-2003 with the correct one dated 22-MAY-2005 without touching anything else, and I have also created aiab-r10d.rar and aiab-r10d.7z files with identical content.
I will similarly fix the aiab-r10d-update archives and upload them tomorrow.

Last edited by prowler; 08 October 2012 at 01:21.
Old 08 October 2012, 01:35   #114
lesta_smsc

Is there any hope to resurrect this WinUAE-addon? I wonder if anyone has tried to contact the original author - or may be he is a member on here?!
Old 08 October 2012, 02:01   #115
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Is there any hope to resurrect this WinUAE-addon? I wonder if anyone has tried to contact the original author - or may be he is a member on here?!
We are resurrecting it, . Hence this thread.

http://aiab.ultimateamiga.co.uk
Old 08 October 2012, 12:30   #116
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

FOL got any ideas? RE:Reply

Can you tell me how exactly you got whdload V17 working
Old 08 October 2012, 13:59   #117
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
FOL got any ideas? RE:Reply

Can you tell me how exactly you got whdload V17 working
I havent had chance to try yet, I was also refering to WHDLoad in general on lots of different configurations I have tried.

What you said seems impossible. How can it load V15 if you have overwritten it?
Try deleting WHDLOAD from C: and then copy new one across.
Old 08 October 2012, 21:44   #118
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

As i haven't done that already! sigh

1) goes and deletes WHDLOAD from Winuae\Harddrives\Workbench\C
2) Copies over WHDLOAD VERSION 17 +KEY from the classic WB setup into Winuae\Harddrives\Workbench\C
3) Loads winuae and then into the amiga in a box desktop

I can see i'll have to figure this one out on my own

EDIT

4) Just tried using the install option for whdload and it says " object already in use " however when it came to classicWB it said, an object is newer than that you are trying to install which i clicked cancel as i knew that anyway. So something is going wrong in my Amiga Box WHDLOAD. Will try and delete it, then the install option from applications.

5) There seems to be a WHDLOAD PREFS in \S which is causing grief so i've deleted that and also the WHDLOAD version 15 in \C through Winuae

6) It installed then got to this, which i clicked ignore

7) Now my games are running but with WHDLOAD 16.8

8) ClassicWB is running with 17+

Very strange :/

Last edited by Neil79; 08 October 2012 at 22:07.
Old 08 October 2012, 22:01   #119
prowler
Global Moderator

Does your replacement WHDLoad program have the executable status bit set?

From a shell, type

c: <return>
protect WHDLoad +e <return>
endcli <return>

and try again.
Old 08 October 2012, 22:34   #120
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

That didn't work still says object in use, HOWEVER!! I got it working

Downloaded the latest http://www.whdload.de/index.html 17.1 created 2012-10-06 from this month , unpacked the zip.

copied over WHDLOAD.info into F:\Emulator\Amiga\Winuae\Harddrives\Workbench

Then i went into the WHDLOAD directory from the unpacked zip and copy/pasted everything directly into F:\Emulator\Amiga\Winuae\Harddrives\Workbench overwriting the C\S\DOCS folder, the DOCS.INFO , install and install.info. Then grabbed my whdload.key and copied that into C\

Wolla 17.1 all working and all my games, woohoo

For some reason the whdload wasn't working from classicWB & i was having major trouble with script lines on installing it manually via the amiga desktop. This way worked with the brand new 17.1 with everthing copied over manually, time to update classicWB aswell.