English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 March 2012, 18:31   #21
Lorfarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Received my printed copy this morning! So quick. Thankyou very much!

No regrets - I'm not really much of a gamer (retro or otherwise), but I found all the articles interesting.

The A5 format is neat, and it's nice to get a free PDF copy as well.

Please let us know when the next issue is out!
Thanks for your support
Old 29 March 2012, 17:04   #22
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
He didn't make this his company did, out sourced designers over at pixel nation, he been posting this all over other forums to generate awareness as he is part of the pixel nation brand and company partner , Something he should be mentioning before promoting , this is a money based venture, its nothing to do with expanding any communities .

Just setting the facts here is all.

Dude what is your beef ????? I don't understand how on earth you could get so offended by this ?
Old 29 March 2012, 19:10   #23
Greyfox
Pixel Blender!

Send a message via MSN to Greyfox
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
Dude what is your beef ????? I don't understand how on earth you could get so offended by this ?

hey, I'm not offended by anything..best of luck to them, you just don't know the guys behind this aswell as I do is all..just leave it at that. , so there is no need for battering to go on..no one wants to open a can of worms..especially me.
Old 30 March 2012, 18:45   #24
mikele

just to throw my two cents, I probably know what Greyfox meant. Frankly speaking I am sick and tired of companies that desperately try to jump on "old school bandwagon". They simply take advantage of this nostalgic note just to make huge profits. There's nothing spontaneous, nor "indie" about them, but a marketing strategy planned to the finest detail. Not implying there's a catch behind Pixel Nation, but my message to those people pretending to be a part of vintage/nerdy communities is clear - screw you, impostors.
Old 30 March 2012, 20:03   #25
Lorfarius

Well I also run a NES community which I've talked about on here before, for the launch alone I wrote 40'000 words worth of reviews and articles, not to mention learning how to code a website:

http://www.nes-bit.com/

And had many a few subscribers to my retro channel over on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

There's about 400 vids of a mad man rambling on there who owned far too many retro games and systems (me) .

I also do a fair bit of writing for the books as well as organising the articles/design side, my latest piece is the Ultima special for issue 2. I'm working my way through the full series first as its a tale that needs to be told! I'm sure there's a few here that have tried a couple of Ultima games and it's not going to be an easy task. Not to mention the Dizzy article I'm also working on.

I am trying to make a go of PN as something huge if I can, because simply put I love retro gaming and this is a dream come true. Its the perfect opportunity to create something special and I'm chuffed to bits to have been a part of it Can't help but shout about all the hard work, long hours (all done in spare time, I have a full time office job!) and effort that's gone into this. Personally for me the proudest moment was having Bob Wakelin agree to let me interview him, the guys art is a legend.

The people here who have bought a copy, I hope the work we put in has really come across and I'm forever grateful you have taken the time to grab a copy.

Last edited by Lorfarius; 30 March 2012 at 20:49.
Old 30 March 2012, 20:58   #26
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorfarius View Post
The people here who have bought a copy, I hope the work we put in has really come across and I'm forever grateful you have taken the time to grab a copy.
Well, I bought a copy, as you know, so to all those doubting the motives behind Pixel Nation let me say this:

Your writers have an interesting and witty style and they know what they're talking about.

The book is filled with editorial content and there are no adverts, so profiteering is not high on the agenda.

I would advise anyone not sure about this to pick up the PDF version from the website at just £3.99 and see it for yourself.
Old 30 March 2012, 21:36   #27
wilshy

Greyfox, you opened the can of worms. No one else.

Mikele, I didn't realise the "vintage/nerdy" communities were closed to new members. I must have missed that memo.

Hard work has clearly gone into this, so regardless of motives, that has to be applauded.

Last edited by wilshy; 30 March 2012 at 21:44.
Old 09 May 2012, 22:06   #28
Lorfarius

Been a hectic month but now things have calmed down a bit, work has started on the second issue! It's turning into a full time job!
Old 09 May 2012, 22:16   #29
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's turning into a full time job!
That sounds like bliss.

Quote:
Been a hectic month but now things have calmed down a bit, work has started on the second issue!
Great news! I hope you have continued success with this venture.
Old 09 May 2012, 23:07   #30
Lorfarius

I'm literally spending hours, if not days constantly sorting stuff but the strange thing is its actually quite fun. I wish my real job was this fulfilling
Old 12 May 2012, 12:59   #31
Lorfarius

Couple of new titles added to U-Publish, PC Engine Gamer and ZX Spectrum Gamer:

http://pixel-nation.co.uk/index.php/...c-engine-gamer

http://pixel-nation.co.uk/index.php/...spectrum-gamer

There's 8 issues available and all free to download. It's a very good start for the U-Publish concept as I want this to grow and offer a central download section for people to visit. We will offer free downloads as well as books/mags that authors want to sell so it's well worth checking back. Just in talks with another author for a further 4 magazines, so more to follow!
Old 19 May 2012, 15:10   #32
Lorfarius

Very proud to announce that we have just added Retro Action Magazine to the U-Publish section of the site:

http://pixel-nation.co.uk/index.php/...ction-magazine

We have all fours issues available and free to download.
Old 09 June 2012, 19:28   #33
Lorfarius

Just had a new entry in the U-Publish library, the second issue of Retrocade magazine:

http://pixel-nation.co.uk/index.php/...lume-1-issue-2

Also in other news... PN2 is almost complete! Designers have been working like crazy and the last page designs are almost there. Not much longer now.
Old 08 July 2012, 20:38   #34
Lorfarius

Well it’s been a long month but after many late nights (far too many early mornings!) I’m proud to announce that issue 2 of Pixel Nation is now available on the site and of course every printed copy comes with a free PDF for those who can’t wait:

http://pixel-nation.co.uk/index.php/...nation-issue-2

One of the great things about PN is that we can really take feedback on board and make changes yes we have listened to everyone’s comments. This time offering a more streamlined and professional look yet still maintaining that retro feel the first issue brought. We have also changed the binding and page sets of the books which was a comment a few made with PN1, it’s a much nicer look and feel all round!

With a mix of hired writers, designers and a push to improve here’s what we have to show for all our efforts:

Wizard of Woz - Proud to present an interview with Steve Wozniak who talks about his time developing the BASIC language behind Apple Computers and his own introduction to programming. You have no idea how big of a plus this is for us! Not just another Apple story, it goes into details you won't have read about before!
Atari in the Land of the Rising Sun – There aren’t many retro gamers that don’t know the rise and fall of Atari. But little is said of what happened to its Japanese division during these times. Pixel Nation explores the unknown history behind Atari Japan.
Dizzy: The Journey – One of the most fondly remembered heroes of yesteryear, we take a walk through the full series from past to present.
Philip Vachey interview - A chat with the composer behind Alone in the Dark, Little Big Adventure series and the Dreamcast classic Toy Commander.
Bluffers Guide to Touhou – A literal trip through a series of bullet hell shooters, our Touhou article aims to give the definitive introduction to this classic series.
Guy Wilhelmy – One of the most infamous Spectrum games collections ever committed to tape, Pixel Nation speaks to the man behind Cassette 50 of Cascade Games Ltd.
Final Fantasy VII: Through the Lifestream – A series without an end, there’s nothing Final about this Fantasy. In this issues cover special we take a closer look at the effect of Final Fantasy VII on the JRPG genre and the road to its development.
Peter J. Favoro Ph.D – We sit down with the original Alter Ego creator to discover the story behind its creation, so join us on a journey through the mind and the games creation!
Tim Wright – Discusses the music behind the Shadow Of The Beast games
The Cats out the Bag – Before the Atari Jaguar there was another cat that prowled the gaming forest. We take a look into a lost piece of gaming history, the Atari Panther.

Also:

Bubble Bobble Design Classics
World of NES Accessories

And many more!

Old 20 July 2012, 22:49   #35
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Lorfarius,

Did parts 2 of the "Confessions of a Girl Gamer" and "The Amiga 1200" articles make it into the Pixel Nation second issue?
Old 21 July 2012, 21:01   #36
lesta_smsc

Looks great!
Old 21 July 2012, 23:46   #37
Lorfarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Lorfarius,

Did parts 2 of the "Confessions of a Girl Gamer" and "The Amiga 1200" articles make it into the Pixel Nation second issue?
Yep, both in there
Old 22 July 2012, 21:57   #38
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yep, both in there
Thanks, mate. I'll get my order in tonight!
Old 22 July 2012, 23:50   #39
prowler
Global Moderator

Order submitted!

PS. Once again, I had trouble getting the shipping option accepted, even though there was only one option available and it was selected! I had to restart the checkout process three times before I could get beyond that point.
Old 24 July 2012, 18:36   #40
Lorfarius

I'll have a word with the web guy.