English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 August 2018, 19:05   #161
turrican9

Also, both me and sean_skroht who both got our cases a short while ago also had issues with corrugations on the vent grills. While the original A1200 cases have perfectly straight grills. I find it hard to believe that just mine and his "slipped through" quality control. I suspect this could be on a huge batch of cases. Because mine and his looked identical (identical corrugations). Clearly these cases had not been inspected at all or was deemed "good enough".

As I said, I won't bother to take any action as it will take forever to get a new one, and I suspect a replacement case would have the same corrugations. But I think it's fair to let people know what they could expect from one of these.
Old 13 August 2018, 19:32   #162
nexus

also dan woods video shows it perfectly
[ Show youtube player ]
its from that popout
Old 13 August 2018, 19:39   #163
ajk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
-- unless you redid molds they will always have it
I don't believe that is the cause; injection molding is very sensitive to temperature and other factors, so more likely is that either the temperature hasn't been even in the mold (or injected material), or the part has been taken out of the mold while it was still soft which caused it to sag.

These kinds of molds are created with very accurate CNC tooling, there's no way that sort of inaccuracy would get in there. And at least the case I received doesn't exhibit that kind of waviness:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1200case.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	59259  
Old 13 August 2018, 19:49   #164
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
I don't believe that is the cause; injection molding is very sensitive to temperature and other factors, so more likely is that either the temperature hasn't been even in the mold (or injected material), or the part has been taken out of the mold while it was still soft which caused it to sag.

These kinds of molds are created with very accurate CNC tooling, there's no way that sort of inaccuracy would get in there. And at least the case I received doesn't exhibit that kind of waviness:
So maybe this is what happened to mine and sean_skroht's A1200 case. I have a feeling it may have happened to a huge batch then. Since mine and his have an almost identical corrugation. Makes me think maybe they removed a whole batch of cases from the mold, to soon. Anyway, I have a hard time believing they could have slipped through quality control by accident as it's very easy to spot these corrugations on the grills. If it went through quality control by accident then the quality control is no real quality control. It's sloppy to put it mildly
Old 13 August 2018, 20:01   #165
ajk

Yes, it's quite possible that the people at the plant have adjusted the process so that cases produced later don't have that issue. There should have been test batches to get everything figured out before starting mass production, of course.
Old 13 August 2018, 20:30   #166
amenophis
A1200.NET

Quote:
.../... There should have been test batches to get everything figured out before starting mass production, of course .../...

You're absolutely right. Everything is done blindly.
Jeez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus
seen many still shots and high res videos to come to my conclusion
and you can say whatever but you did know and the fact is you still ran the line
anyways every case has that issue and unless you redid molds they will always have it

and when someone profits from something i tend not to believe anything they say as it is a conflict of interest
when you seen the messed up run in no way where you gonna pay to retool make a new mold etc
as that cuts into your profits so us the users take the hit with unacceptable quality
companies do this everyday

Gosh!
When I see these type of speculations I'm just even more tired of doing this.

Retool? Why retool?
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about sadly.

There is no point for me trying to answer your questions since you don't have questions, just "certitudes". You know it all better than anyone on that very subject.

So there is no point for me to say anything.

EOL.
Old 13 August 2018, 20:39   #167
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenophis View Post
Jeez.

Gosh!

Retool? Why retool?

There is no point for me trying to answer your questions since you don't have questions, just "certitudes". You know it all better than anyone on that very subject.

EOL.
What about quality control? Do you visually inspect every case before you ship to reseller?
Old 13 August 2018, 20:45   #168
nexus

Quote:
Jeez.

Gosh!

Retool? Why retool?

EOL.
its amazing this is how you treat a issue with your product
and sadly seems like you have no clue what quality control is
i just call it like i see it

many many companies jumping on the retro bandwagon trying to cash in
producing low quality stuff
its getting ridiculous

anyways i was a potential customer till i seen that issue above in a review
and now dont want to support any project you do
so nvm

Last edited by nexus; 13 August 2018 at 20:51.
Old 13 August 2018, 20:58   #169
amenophis
A1200.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
What about quality control? Do you visually inspect every case before you ship to reseller?

Of course not!
Like I said, everything is done blindly.

- Of course cases are checked. But even when cases are checked a couple issues can always go through.

That's not a big deal.
Every cases that had issues were replaced.
So far from the first run of cases for the KS campaign to the second run that happened recently, all in all exactly 19 units were replaced.

From these 19 units:
- 9 Metal series cases were replaced.
- All others had issues like broken screw towers, a couple cases had hairline cracks, one even had issues about the top shell not closing correctly on top of bottom shell. And a couple other minor issues but we replaced the cases.
- Of course this does not include mugs with broken handle that we DID also replace!

Thanks Turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus
its amazing this is how you treat a issue with your product
and sadly seems like you have no clue what quality control is
i just call it like i see it

many many companies jumping on the retro bandwagon trying to cash in
producing low quality stuff
its getting ridiculous

It's amazing how you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Enjoy buddy.

EOL - And for good!
Old 13 August 2018, 21:03   #170
turrican9

Quote:
Of course not!

- Of course cases are checked. But even when cases are checked a couple issues can always go through.

That's not a big deal.
So far from the first run of cases for the KS campaign to the second run that happened recently, all in all exactly 19 units were replaced.

From these 19 units:
- All others had issues like broken screw towers, a couple cases had hairline cracks, one even had issues about the top shell not closing correctly on top of bottom shell. And a couple other minor issues but we replaced the cases.

Thanks Turrican9

Enjoy buddy.

EOL - And for good!
So this picture is from a few pages back looks identical to the one I got from Amigastore.eu about a week ago. Do you think it's acceptable that these slip through your quality control?

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...3&d=1533694096
Old 13 August 2018, 21:05   #171
nexus

Quote:
Of course not!

That's not a big deal.

From these 19 units:

Thanks Turrican9

Enjoy buddy.

EOL - And for good!
whats that even mean?
are you saying that im a liar and there is no issue with this case?
cause thats what im TALKING about

anyways seems like you are butthurt not my fault i didnt sell bad cases to people that were not cheap by any means
but since you act like they all are not that way does this mean you are replacing the bad?
guess everyone is playing lotto
Old 13 August 2018, 21:16   #172
turrican9

Also, since I live in Norway it takes like forever to get the case in the first place. And shipping is not cheap. So sending it back is out of the question for me. it would take months. Already waited a month to get it in the first place, even though the shop listed it as in stock. I (the customer) will end up with the shortest straw. It's really annoying to get a case with this kind of quality because someone in the factory didn't bother to visually inspect it before they sent it out to resellers.

I wonder why I have never seen an original A1200 case with this kind of deformation/corrugations in the plastic? Because they did quality control.
Old 13 August 2018, 21:38   #173
Mr.Flibble

I've three of the new A1200 cases - One clear, one black, and one white, none of them show the issue described here, all mine were from the first Kickstarter batch for what it's worth.
Old 13 August 2018, 21:43   #174
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Flibble View Post
I've three of the new A1200 cases - One clear, one black, and one white, none of them show the issue described here, all mine were from the first Kickstarter batch for what it's worth.
So maybe the first batch was good. Then they got sloppy. Who knows. Hard to say how many people got bad ones from the last batch.
Old 13 August 2018, 23:57   #175
Cloudane

I like mine. There are imperfections, like the cutout thing, but it's a heck of a lot better than the yellowed one I had before with various bits manually drilled out of it over the years. And I recognise that a relatively small run of an extremely niche product, with all the planning and R&D that was involved, does have a price attached...

Please ignore the trolls/haters and keep on doing the best you can - looking forward to the keys and A500 case
Old 14 August 2018, 00:35   #176
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
I like mine. There are imperfections, like the cutout thing, but it's a heck of a lot better than the yellowed one I had before with various bits manually drilled out of it over the years. And I recognise that a relatively small run of an extremely niche product, with all the planning and R&D that was involved, does have a price attached...

Please ignore the trolls/haters and keep on doing the best you can - looking forward to the keys and A500 case
I partly agree with this. I would rather keep my new and white A1200 case with a few inperfections than going back to the original one which turns yellow no matter how much I retro bright it.

However, I'm not sure we should accept lesser products just because it's a niche product. That could turn into a bad trend. Especially since it looks like the first kickstarter batch didn't have issues with corrugations in the vents. It has been known from day 1 that the cutout area for the HXC screen was visible from various angles so that was no suprise.

If they start to do sloppy work and don't bother to inspect the cases before they are shipped to resellers then they should also lower the prices and notify people about inperfections.
Old 14 August 2018, 01:26   #177
kolla
Banned

Why are you not attacking the reseller? It's their responsibility.
Old 14 August 2018, 04:46   #178
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:

Oh man I am so jealous. I wish mine had looked as flat as yours at the back there. It makes me cry.

Anyway AOTL got back to me and they are very kindly sending me out another one. They have been very supportive and I can't say a bad thing about them at all.

@amenophis
I understand that you're very proud of the product you have produced and I would be too if I was in your position. It also might be true that some people perhaps don't have a clear understanding of the manufacturing process, I know I don't. But belittling them is not the way to go. It's just bad customer service. I've been in the customer service industry for 30 years and if I talked to my customers like that, even when I know they are wrong, I would be out of a job.

The best course of action here is to just simply acknowledge that there is an issue with a very small number of these cases and what will be done to rectify the issue. That's all people want to hear so that they can have the confidence that they are going to get a good product in the end, especially if they have initially had a less than pleasant experience.

Anyway credits go out to you since AOTL are going to replace my case and you are going to send them a replacement.
Old 14 August 2018, 05:15   #179
TjLaZer

I recently got two from the last run from AOTL and they are fine.
Old 14 August 2018, 06:08   #180
amenophis
A1200.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_skroht View Post

@amenophis
.../... But belittling them is not the way to go. It's just bad customer service. I've been in the customer service industry for 30 years and if I talked to my customers like that, even when I know they are wrong, I would be out of a job.

The best course of action here is to just simply acknowledge that there is an issue with a very small number of these cases.

That's all people want to hear so that they can have the confidence that they are going to get a good product in the end, especially if they have initially had a less than pleasant experience.

Anyway credits go out to you since AOTL are going to replace my case and you are going to send them a replacement.

I'm getting pretty tired of this guys.

• I answered questions and said cases with issues should be returned.
  • Cases are replaced when/if they have issues. Conditions of return is up to the reseller.
  • I did acknowledged that issues can happen and stuff can always go through QC sadly.
  • Like any supplier does with its distributors, cases are replaced if anything happens, and this is where you as "customers" have to ring.
    That is exactly the reason why AOTL is replacing your case.

Questions are:
When anyone of you buy stuff from a shop or Amazon and there's an issue;
- Do you claim all the production is flawed?
- Do you say there's no QC at all?
- Do you get on Jen-Hsun Huang if your Geforce card has an issue to tell him what he does is crap and there's no QC and he don't know shit what he's doing?
Pretty sure its NO on all states.

Why a couple guys here keep judging and pretend they know it all whatever I say after I actually answered their questions?
Instead of contacting their reseller?

Furthermore you guys could have sent us an email as well directly, instead of bad mouthing anything I answered to your questions.

I answered your post Sean because you deserve an answer.
And you did the right move by getting back to your reseller.

But I will not comment this any further.