English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 12 March 2017, 22:41   #61
AmigaBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Yes, good question. Is there a program to use an adf as a floppy in a real miggy?. And for example boot from it. If not someone should make it.
I use "ADF Device" it works great, but you can't boot with the ADF. Only insert it while Workbench is open.
Old 12 March 2017, 23:23   #62
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Maybe you could use it with RebootStart by Aldo Bianchi: http://aminet.net/package/game/patch/RebootStartV42

So you could click on a script and the Amiga would boot from the adf. Just an idea.

Better forget it, it seems too difficult.

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 March 2017 at 23:56.
Old 13 March 2017, 08:44   #63
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaBill View Post
Hey guys! I tried playing Arctic Moves on my real A1200 this weekend. The game loaded fine then I got an error when I tried to start a game. I got (error #80000004) I attached a photo and here is a video link to my boot process.
Looks like the executable has been damaged or tampered with.

Let's first check this : get the original archive from my site, then extract it in RAM: (preferably with latest lzx program from aminet) and run it from there unmodified.
If it works then the cause should be easy to find (else we're in a nasty mess ).
Old 13 March 2017, 20:15   #64
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Looks like the executable has been damaged or tampered with.

Let's first check this : get the original archive from my site, then extract it in RAM: (preferably with latest lzx program from aminet) and run it from there unmodified.
If it works then the cause should be easy to find (else we're in a nasty mess ).
I can replicate the issue that AmigaBill reported:

It only happens:

a) If using the Flashtro files.
b) You run "Arctic" without running the "Trainer" first.

The game starts, you press <fire> (or watch the intro), select "Mission 1" --> "Start" and then it crashes...

Don't worry my friend; absolutely nothing at all wrong with your awesome port

...or the Flashtro trainer either, but if you are using this you do definitely need to run the "Trainer" first (even if you don't select any options)
Old 14 March 2017, 07:58   #65
meynaf
son of 68k

I nevertheless don't like this, as anyone watching AmigaBill's video will think the game port is itself broken. Perhaps i should have explicitly forbidden any exe tampering in the readme...

In the past I've seen many trained games do this. They alter the code so that the patch can be called... which leads to catastrophic results if the trainer isn't there (calls memory where there is no code).

Obviously the trainer here works the old way, but this situation could be avoided here if the patch program used dos.library/LoadSeg() and then applied the patch instead of hacking the executable. Why, it's even possible to tell me what to change and then in a few minutes i can add some command-line parameter to do it in a "clean" way...
Old 14 March 2017, 09:06   #66
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Obviously the trainer here works the old way
Trainer code is copied to $210.w which is indeed not exactly great for a trainer released in 2017.

Quote:
but this situation could be avoided here if the patch program used dos.library/LoadSeg() and then applied the patch instead of hacking the executable.
That's the only proper way to train DOS games!
Old 14 March 2017, 17:30   #67
AmigaBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I can replicate the issue that AmigaBill reported:

It only happens:

a) If using the Flashtro files.
b) You run "Arctic" without running the "Trainer" first.

The game starts, you press <fire> (or watch the intro), select "Mission 1" --> "Start" and then it crashes...

Don't worry my friend; absolutely nothing at all wrong with your awesome port

...or the Flashtro trainer either, but if you are using this you do definitely need to run the "Trainer" first (even if you don't select any options)
I just tried run the package with the trainer just as DamienD explained using my real A1200 and it worked perfectly. Thanks so much for clarifying that you need to run the trainer first. That was the solution to my problem. NOTE TO NTSC USERS: I had to boot my NTSC A1200 in PAL mode in order for the trainer to run.

Quote:
I nevertheless don't like this, as anyone watching AmigaBill's video will think the game port is itself broken. Perhaps i should have explicitly forbidden any exe tampering in the readme... :based
Damn, I didn't think about this - sorry. I was just so excited to show people your hard work I was hoping it would run. Hopefully people won't blame the port, because it could have been something with my Amiga configuration as well other variables. As we learned there is nothing wrong with your awesome port. I should have been educated by DamienD first ;-) Best way I can fix this is to do another stream and show them the proper way to run it. Stay tuned!
Old 14 March 2017, 23:59   #68
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaBill View Post
NOTE TO NTSC USERS: I had to boot my NTSC A1200 in PAL mode in order for the trainer to run.
This is another common problem where the trainer/intro is blocking the game from running even though the game could run in NTSC.
Old 05 June 2017, 21:18   #69
Phantomz

Thank you so much for this meynaf and also DamienD for the adf

Quote:
What process did you go though exactly?
If you want to use the Flashtro trainer then do the following:

a) Download the above.
b) In Windows; from the above, extract only the file "ArcticMovesHDD-Flashtro.lzx".
c) On your Amiga extract this "ArcticMovesHDD-Flashtro.lzx" file to your hard drive.
d) From a Shell, enter "trainer" first.
e) Now enter "arctic" next.

...or make a script to do both d) & e).

Alternatively, you could just use the .ADF that I created and Flashtro trained
Is it possible to make a exe to run the trainer instead of running from shell ?
Old 11 June 2017, 15:37   #70
Irek´72
´040 User

A very successful conversion, thank you meynaf for your work. I really like to play games like these because it reminds me of the good old times in amusement arcades. Unfortunately I have to admit that in the beginning I had some problems with this game on my setup. The game did not worked from my HD and even the ADF version had an GFX error with the main Character. But now it seems that the errors of previous versions have been repaired, this induced me to create a HD version for myself, (with a new and OS3,5 Icon include). I have tested it on my A1200/40/128MB and it worked without problems. So I hope it will run on other configuration from the workbench too.
Attached Files
File Type: lha ArcticMoves.lha (720.5 KB, 883 views)
Old 12 June 2017, 00:06   #71
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomz View Post
Thank you so much for this meynaf and also DamienD for the adf

Is it possible to make a exe to run the trainer instead of running from shell ?
Ok, had some time on my hands tonight so...

Attached is a file "ArcticMoves_Trainer.lha" which contains the following:

... meynaf's "original" Arctic Moves files.
... Flashtro's trainer (which also requires a patched "arctic" file to replace meynaf's original).
... Irek´72's lovely icons (which have now been modified to be both Classic WB 3.1 and Workbench 3.1 compatible).

@Irek´72; I hope you don't mind me using your cool icons?

Just extract to your hard drive and play
Attached Files
File Type: lha ArcticMoves_Trainer.lha (713.5 KB, 440 views)
Old 12 June 2017, 08:18   #72
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irek´72 View Post
A very successful conversion, thank you meynaf for your work. I really like to play games like these because it reminds me of the good old times in amusement arcades. Unfortunately I have to admit that in the beginning I had some problems with this game on my setup. The game did not worked from my HD and even the ADF version had an GFX error with the main Character. But now it seems that the errors of previous versions have been repaired, this induced me to create a HD version for myself, (with a new and OS3,5 Icon include). I have tested it on my A1200/40/128MB and it worked without problems. So I hope it will run on other configuration from the workbench too.
If you experience problems such as gfx errors then try copying the whole game to Ram Disk and run it from there. If it then works fine, it indicates that you have a MaxTransfer problem on your HD.
Old 12 June 2017, 20:47   #73
Irek´72
´040 User

Quote:
No, it does not bother me.

Quote:
If you experience problems such as gfx errors then try copying the whole game to Ram Disk and run it from there. If it then works fine, it indicates that you have a MaxTransfer problem on your HD.

I just had some Problems with the older version. The new one works fine on my setup. In the older version the main character looks very weird, everytime if you shot, his body separated in the middle.
Take a look at the screenshot below

Old 12 June 2017, 21:37   #74
meynaf
son of 68k

Odd. Never seen that before and I didn't really do several versions of the game...
Perhaps this has again something to do with the trainer
Old 12 June 2017, 22:12   #75
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
No, it does not bother me.
Coolio, cheers
Quote:
I just had some Problems with the older version. The new one works fine on my setup. In the older version the main character looks very weird, everytime if you shot, his body separated in the middle.
Take a look at the screenshot below
[/URL]
This is why I've been a bit confused regarding your original report...

...there are no "old" and then "new" files. meynaf released his original "arctic.lzx" file and that's it

The only update to that was Flashtro's trainer, which you are not using...

Quote:
Odd. Never seen that before and I didn't really do several versions of the game...
Nope, nothing to do with the trained version either...

I have had exactly the same issue that Irek´72 showed above with your original files.

For me (from memory), this occurred when running via WinUAE with obviously an AGA configuration and "Cycle-exact" ticked plus then:

a) Starting the game, playing until death.
b) Re-starting the game and then when shooting the exact same issue as what Irek´72 reports occurred.

Turned off "Cycle-exact" and the issue is no more
Old 13 June 2017, 10:34   #76
meynaf
son of 68k

Found this issue as well.
It has nothing to do with cycle-exact, you got caught by semi-random behavior (depends on what the player does before dying).

But now the fact the new version no longer exhibits that player sprite bug has become true
(Was dirty initialization problem, some mem area was initially zero but not reset across games. Not easy to find but easy to fix.)

My download link remains the same.
Of course all hacks made out of my code have stopped working
Old 13 June 2017, 12:42   #77
DamienD
Banned

Ah, so you've found the issue and now created a fixed archive
Old 13 June 2017, 18:54   #78
Phantomz

Quote:
Ok, had some time on my hands tonight so...

Attached is a file "ArcticMoves_Trainer.lha" which contains the following:

... meynaf's "original" Arctic Moves files.
... Flashtro's trainer (which also requires a patched "arctic" file to replace meynaf's original).
... Irek´72's lovely icons (which have now been modified to be both Classic WB 3.1 and Workbench 3.1 compatible).

Just extract to your hard drive and play
Cheers for this DamienD

I'll check it out later.
Old 18 June 2017, 12:22   #79
Irek´72
´040 User

Quote:
Admittedly, I have not followed the subject at all. In fact, I downloaded this game in the end of Februrary and the HD version did not want to work on my Amiga and WinUAE. In addition, the ADF Version had this weird bug. Some day in May, I downloaded the game again and everything worked fine. That is why I thought that there were some updates in the meantime.
Quote:
Found this issue as well.
It has nothing to do with cycle-exact, you got caught by semi-random behavior (depends on what the player does before dying).

But now the fact the new version no longer exhibits that player sprite bug has become true
(Was dirty initialization problem, some mem area was initially zero but not reset across games. Not easy to find but easy to fix.)
Now you found the bug and fixed it, so thank you for that! I think it´s a pity that a lot of user knew about the small bug, but nobody reported it.

Btw: A long time ago, I made some start icons for other game conversions that you made.If you want I can post them here.
Old 18 June 2017, 16:43   #80
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Btw: A long time ago, I made some start icons for other game conversions that you made.If you want I can post them here.
Do it if you want, however they're command-line only so I have little use for icons.