English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 August 2010, 05:06   #1
desantii

A4000T AT vs CBM

What is the difference between the two? I recently bought a 4000T(Finally!!) but just curious as the case is a an AT case but all the boards (motherboards and input boards) are labeled Commodore..

Did AT produce their own boards or just used Commodore stock? I was looking at the pictures on BBOAH and see two versions of most boards (AT and CBM).

thanks
Old 04 August 2010, 05:19   #2
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I guess they used the stock they had from commodore until it was depleted and had more made after that.
Old 04 August 2010, 05:34   #3
desantii

I guess then I have a "hybrid". CBM internals and AT case!
Old 04 August 2010, 06:15   #4
NovaCoder

Actually I think Escom had to start from scratch as the original 4000T blue-prints where lost with the death of Commodore. It's quite amazing that they managed to bring both the 1200 and 4000T back to retail when you think about it.
Old 04 August 2010, 21:03   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

I can confirm that Escom/Amiga Technologies made at least some A1200 motherboards.
Old 04 September 2011, 04:03   #6
mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by desantii View Post
What is the difference between the two? I recently bought a 4000T(Finally!!) but just curious as the case is a an AT case but all the boards (motherboards and input boards) are labeled Commodore..

Did AT produce their own boards or just used Commodore stock? I was looking at the pictures on BBOAH and see two versions of most boards (AT and CBM).

thanks
There are 3 different A4000t's actually.Amiga Technologies and QuikPak both made the motherboards.They both are AT server cases. They both use AmighTechnologies boards, the AT boards retained the C= port boards,audio/vid(with a 50 pin scsi terminator plug in case you dont run scsi devices-you plug the internal cable into this),serial parallel board and scsi port board.The AT boards are redisgns of the original C= board as far as i know. It is a AT formfactor(as in AT not ATX) with a regular AT pc style power supply.You could install the motherboards boards into any old AT style tower.The mounting holes on the amiga technologies boards however are not perfect,seems they got them a bit off,but they all manage to take the screws,except for where they put plastic standoffs on some places.

Some amiga technologies towers come with the internal drive bay support already chopped to clear some accelerators. seems when they ran out of A3640's with short/flat heatsinks,they used tall sinks and a metal nibbler to chop on the case...this cutting as bad as it looks,IS factory.

EDIT: forgot to add,most of these came with a really crappy looking hacked floppy cable with 880K sony pc floppy.Some actually came with a small pcb plugged into the floppy header instead of a hacked cable. you can add a real amiga HD floppy no problem by using a stright thru cable if memory serves me..
Mech

Last edited by mech; 04 September 2011 at 04:54.