English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 May 2014, 02:12   #1
eebuckeye

Problem transferring WHDLOAD games to CF using WinUAE 2.8

I am trying to copy my WHDLoad games to my CF flash using WinUAE. Some files transfer then I usually get that my drive is not validated or incorrect file types when trying to copy directories.

I know people transfer GB of data no problem to CF using WinUAE but I am getting errors. I have two windows open one with my WHDLgame folders from my PC and the other with the CF drive. I select one or more folders in the source directory and then 'move' it to the destination directory which is my CF. I have problems if I select just one directory or multiple directories to move.

Even though is says the partition on the CF is not validated (the boot partition does not say anything) the files are still accessible, etc.. on the partition that now says not validated. I have copied A though H on this partition already. I formatted both partitions originally using quick format and I did not have a problem with the second partition (14GB) until copying files for WHDLoad.

I'm using a standard A1200 with 3.1 ROM and OS3.9 and 8GB fast ram for WinUAE (no idea if that matters) and I'm using a 16GB Sandisk CF which has been working great.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Last edited by eebuckeye; 13 May 2014 at 04:04.
Old 13 May 2014, 04:04   #2
eebuckeye

The drive seemed to have validated itself over time so I copied the K and J WHDLOAD directories with no problem to the CF. I then copied the M directory and it got about 70% through and then I got a checksum error.

This is so frustrating... I just want to copy files from my PC directory to my CF with OS3.9!
Old 13 May 2014, 09:28   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Maybe your Card reader is faulty?
Old 13 May 2014, 13:53   #4
eebuckeye

It is a new Sandisk CF reader so hopefully it is ok..

Does the fact I am using the default FFS make any difference? Would SFS avoid this type of issue with constant revalidation of the partition?
Old 13 May 2014, 14:01   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Sounds like usual >4G wrap around. OS 3.1 + FFS won't be able to handle any drives over 4G without extra patches. (OS3.9 has full support)

EDIT: Did you mean you have 3.1 or 3.9 on your real A1200? I read it as 3.1 on A1200, 3.9 on WinUAE.

Anyway, run check4G on your A1200 and include output.
Old 13 May 2014, 14:14   #6
eebuckeye

I am using OS3.9 with FFS and will post the output..

Thanks!
Old 13 May 2014, 14:28   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

And to confirm possible CF problems, try creating exact same partitioning using 16G HDF file.

Attach also winuaelog.txt (tick logging enable box in misc panel to enable it)
Old 13 May 2014, 15:40   #8
eebuckeye

I have not been able to try the other items yet but wanted to mention that last night I copied a directory (R and then S for example)... R worked without problem and then S gave me validation error and stopped copying at about 70%. I rebooted WinUAE and then the CF drive kept blinking for about 5-10 minutes (I assume validating). Once that was done I could then copy the S directory without problem.

I repeat this process anytime I get an error and then restart.. it seems like the CF is good to write from UAE for 10-15 minutes until I get the error and then repeat the process again. I have my max transfer set at the default for OS3.9 which was 0x0001FE00 .
Old 14 May 2014, 00:58   #9
eebuckeye

Attached is my check4gb screenshot..

I'm having more problems as I can not seem to write an entire directory now for some reason without an error. I tend to get to about 57% of the WHDL T directory then it starts complaining Error while copying xxx object is not of required type. It is not always the same file.. random. Then when I reboot it seems like it has to revalidate the CF again and I wait about 10 minutes for the CF light to stop blinking. Sometimes I can copy a few files othertimes I get a checksum error.

I created a hdf but HDTOOLS does not see it even when I change the scsi device to uaehf. It always sees my CF.

How do I add memory to the A1200 config? I choose 8MB fast ram and then 64MB for z3 but it never gets added when I boot the machine. Once I go back into F12 z3 always goes back to 0. I want to make 64MB available for WinUAE A1200 and only the fast ram (up to 8MB) works when I boot the emulated amiga.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140513_183153_resized.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	39981  

Last edited by eebuckeye; 14 May 2014 at 03:33.
Old 14 May 2014, 08:51   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Untick 24-bit addressing in CPU panel.

I still suggest doing the same installation on HDF image. This will confirm if it AmigaOS problem or some other external problem (hardware etc..).
Old 15 May 2014, 02:20   #11
eebuckeye

I can create a hdf file no problem and it is seen in OS3.9, however, it is not seen in HDTOOLS using carddisk.device, scsi.device or uaehf.device. How can I get it seen so I can partition, etc?

Is there an easy way then to move a HDF file back to CF for the Amiga?
Old 15 May 2014, 15:11   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by eebuckeye View Post
I can create a hdf file no problem and it is seen in OS3.9, however, it is not seen in HDTOOLS using carddisk.device, scsi.device or uaehf.device. How can I get it seen so I can partition, etc?

Is there an easy way then to move a HDF file back to CF for the Amiga?
It wont be unless you tell it to use RDB.
Old 15 May 2014, 17:58   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"use RDB" = click "Enable RDB mode" button in hardfile config window.

Mount both HDF and CF and use normal cli copy command to transfer data ("copy source: destination: clone all quiet")
Old 16 May 2014, 15:11   #14
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
"use RDB" = click "Enable RDB mode" button in hardfile config window.

Mount both HDF and CF and use normal cli copy command to transfer data ("copy source: destination: clone all quiet")
Quick question, what's the difference between using clone and not. As I never actually used clone option before.
Old 16 May 2014, 23:56   #15
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Quick question, what's the difference between using clone and not. As I never actually used clone option before.
The CLONE command line switch preserves the time and date stamps of the files and directories on the destination disk. Without that switch the files and directories are "touched" when they each "land".
Old 17 May 2014, 07:59   #16
eebuckeye

Well I can FINALLY say my setup is working?!?! I spent so much time on this it is unreal..

I'm not exactly sure what 'fixed' the problem but noticed a few things:

1) I got a new CF reader (Transcend) and a new Sandisk 16GB CF.
2) I noticed that I did not have JIT checked on WinUAE and I was not using a faster processor (can't imagine that would be it).
3) When I copied WHDL archives to my CF before it took hours and was extremely slow. Once I used the new card, reader, JIT and 68040 it went much quicker.

Would JIT have any difference for how fast it would copy or may have been my actual problem?

Thank you all for the help!!!
Old 17 May 2014, 10:49   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Impossible to know, there is very good reason why it is good idea to change only one variable between tests

CPU isn't really faster in emulation if JIT/fastest possible CPU mode is enabled. JIT shouldn't make any difference (except speed).

Does the CF still work if you insert it in old reader? (Boots normally, can run randomly chosen games?)
Old 17 May 2014, 12:13   #18
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebuckeye View Post
Well I can FINALLY say my setup is working?!?! I spent so much time on this it is unreal..

I'm not exactly sure what 'fixed' the problem but noticed a few things:

1) I got a new CF reader (Transcend) and a new Sandisk 16GB CF.
2) I noticed that I did not have JIT checked on WinUAE and I was not using a faster processor (can't imagine that would be it).
3) When I copied WHDL archives to my CF before it took hours and was extremely slow. Once I used the new card, reader, JIT and 68040 it went much quicker.

Would JIT have any difference for how fast it would copy or may have been my actual problem?

Thank you all for the help!!!
Its took hours because I bet you still had default buffers?

I know some will moan at this but it works for copying large amounts of data quicker. Do "addbuffers yourdrive amountofbuffers" - Your drive = DH0: etc etc and Amount of buffers = any amount you want up to 2000 (2000 would = 2MB of system RAM).
I always set mine to 2000 on each partition, obviously the more partitions you have the less buffers you should use or you will suck up all your system RAM:
Old 17 May 2014, 15:51   #19
eebuckeye

I used default buffers for FFS and then 100 for SFS as I read in a guide. It did take forever to copy files and then gave me errors.

I am scared to mess with the working CF with my old reader with the amount of time I've put into this. :-)
Old 17 May 2014, 16:29   #20
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
As FOL says default buffers = super slow.

JIT speeds up UAE operations but isn't the the main thing speeding up transfers.

If you used the Cycle Exact option in WinUAE this really slows things down so make sure you don't have that ticked (unless you want it for some reason)

I wouldn't use your old reader for Amiga Emulation anymore, it might be OK for normal PC use but I would guess this was your issue.

My old reader gave me the same grief.

But anyway, I'm pleased to hear you have your setup working now